TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right now I just wear leather gloves, insulated if needed. I am planning to get some better riding gloves with knuckle and finger guards, but no store in the area sells them and I'm apprehensive about ordering them on line without trying them on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Revzilla is great with returns. I've returned boots and pants and only had to check the "too large" or "too small" box on the return form, which I think they use to help tune their sizing recommendations. Return shipping is on you, but it's usually pretty cheap.

As for gloves, I was wearing Cortech DX when I dumped it in December, no knuckle protection because I figured if I'm going down, I'm putting palm down first. Nope, ate through the top and left a nice little scar on the top of my hand. Switched to Rev'It Striker 3 this spring, great knuckle/top protection, but too damn hot for summer use. Currently using Tour Master Airflow gloves, minimal knuckle/top protection but slightly more than the Cortech.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I chose the Fox Bomber S because it fit like a... umm... Glove. Lol

I tried several types that came recommended by vloggers, reviewers, etc and none of them fit me quite right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wear leather gloves bought over the counter at Ace Hardware....they are kind of like screwdrivers, every time I need one, I can't find one so I buy another....I must have a half dozen pairs or more around here somewhere....

·
Registered
830 Posts
I got these comfie summer gloves and decent protection. Hope you all are enjoying summer.

JSP Pro-Biker Motorbike Protector Gloves- Full-Half Finger Carbon Fiber Cycling Powersports Racing Gloves
by JSP

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just bought a two-pack of some really nice, soft but structurally sound, leather gloves in Sams Club. I have "somewhat" larger hands so, fitting gloves is often difficult. I don't even classify my hands as being all that big. I've seen and shook hands that were larger than mine. But, often, when I try on gloves, no matter what store, no matter what type, the "XL" are often too tight for non-restrictive movement, as in controlling motorcycle hand operations, i.e. clutch, brake, throttle etc. and yet still feel comfortable and unrestrained.

But, these XL I tried on at Sams Club in Bullhead city AZ, fit very, very nicely and, they'll get even better with a bit of break-in. PLUS, they're not the traditional BLACK. I'm so tired of BLACK.
Scott

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the majority here leaning towards road type gloves, I ordered Alpinestar short cuffed gloves. Road rash is the worst. I'm not like Chuck Norris. I won't be doing a karate roll up to my feet. I will be putting my hands out if I wash the front on pavement.
I chose alpinestar based on how amazingly happy I am with my Alpinestar A10 mx chest protector. I figure I'll carry my mx gloves when I switch to dirt
I very much appreciate all your opinions

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my Held Sambia gloves. I wear them on the Caff, or the street fighter, but in warmer weather on the TDub as well.

I've crash tested them as well (f-ing raccoon) Saved my hands and you can't even tell they've met pavement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a pair of these (Christmas gift a few years ago): https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/elkskin-and-deerskin-gloves/aerostich-merino-wool-insulated-elkskin-gauntlets.html

Pricey, but I really like them. And they actually fit me! (I am a shorty, with proportional hands, so have a really hard time finding gloves that fit properly). Currently these are my only gloves, and I have found them comfortable even on 80 F days. But, I am notorious for being cold-blooded. Most folks would opt for an unlined glove when I am adding insulating layers under my jacket and pants. :)

Note: I live just a few miles away from Aerostich so it's easy to stop by their shop and try on gear. I have found the service to be top notch and they even steered me towards a sale pair of Darien Light pants (and customized the knee pads for free) when I went in there planning to buy a pair of Darien's at full price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV/MC also does fitment returns or exchanges on apparel, but the first return is free (they pay shipping and email you shipping label). Very stress free. I believe you can exchange again and again after that you just have to pay the shipping (hopefully it would take more than one exchange to nail down size. If you plain don't like it I'm pretty sure you can return as well.

I'm looking at getting new gloves but for now I'm wearing leather motorcycle gloves with plastic and what looks like mock carbon fiber knuckle guards that I picked up in a thrift store for $5.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wear mechanix gloves...comfy, good grip, and can feel controls with enough protection for one hard fall on a budget.
Agreed, mine raked across gravel on a hard spill for about 10-15ft under full body weight, not a scratch. Would recommend getting the M-Pact version of gloves that have the thick rubbery/silicon tracks that go over the knuckles and fingers, they do well for $25.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well,
I don’t have to have macho “motorcycle” gloves for the TW riding. I recently bought a two-pack of ultra nice and pliable dark tan leather gloves from Sams Club in Bullhead City AZ. They fit perfectly, as stated are very pliable, I get TWO pair, all for a whopping $12.00!!!!!
Scott

·
Registered
311 Posts
With all the choices of gloves out there, it's good to know that lots of us are wearing them when we ride. Any type of hand protection is far better than none, and inexpensive choices make it easy to say yes to wearing gloves.

I'm a proponent of motorcycle gloves. Hard knuckle and finger protection will help you not only if you crash, but for trail riding protection too. Small branches can be surprisingly painful when you get whacked. Palm sliders can benefit you if you go down. Our reflex reaction is to brace the fall with our hands, leading to possible FOOSH (Fall On Out-Stretched Hands) injuries - yep it's a thing - google it. The slider will help your palms slide rather than get jammed on the pavement underneath you. I've got sliders on my insulated gloves but not on my summer gloves. I plan to upgrade those soon.

Safe riding all!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you’re looking for some options, here’s a comparison to some new ones I’m gonna try out. On the left are the Mechanix M-Pact gloves that I crashed on gravel with this weekend, the ones to the right come in a three pack on amazon for the same price as one set of mechanix... and will work with your phones touchscreen.

E7603236-ECD1-49BC-A9FB-55ED332C9D45_1564626225387.jpeg

Link to the three-pack:

Vgo 3Pairs High Dexterity Heavy Duty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BWWWH5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_t1KqDbXZMSCS7

Edit: sorry, they were $29 when I bought them... a few bucks more now

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use Aerostich competition roper gloves made from elk skin. They look like ordinary leather garden gloves but wear them and you will see the elk skin leather in the roper gloves are substantial thicker than garden gloves. They break-in kind of like a baseball mitt, but once broken-in they wear like a second skin. Compared to garden gloves they are expensive but compared to other motorcycle specific gloves they are moderately priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts