TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a dumb question, but…..Is it typical for the exhuast pipe coming out of the cylinder to be bright glowing red. Is the motor overheating or is it just because it was dark outside? I never really noticed till last night.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You're running lean, and yes, your motor will go byebye if you keep riding it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're running lean, and yes, your motor's about to go if you keep riding it.

Suggestions everything is stock. I live in Indiana at altitude of 771+/- feet with variable temps from -15* to 100*. What jetting is recommended?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I truly doubt it's jetting. Even at sea level with stock jetting you shouldn't be glowing red. It wouldn't hurt to rejet, but I think your problem is more basic and you'll be wasting your time unless you cure it

Most likely it's crud buildup reducing or partially cvlogging your jets, and your carb needs a thourough cleaning.

Next up would be the manifold boot leaking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I truly doubt it's jetting. Even at sea level with stock jetting you shouldn't be glowing red. It wouldn't hurt to rejet, but I think your problem is more basic and you'll be wasting your time unless you cure it

Most likely it's crud buildup reducing or partially cvlogging your jets, and your carb needs a thourough cleaning.

Next up would be the manifold boot leaking.

Thanks for the info I will clean the carb hopefully this weekend useing the carb cleaning thread. You "older" more experienced guys are awesome...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So haven't got around to working on the carb tuning/cleaning yet becuase of working on my truck. Would it make the bike run lean if the air cleaner filter is behind the guide instead of pressed against the screen. Too much air into the carb???

·
Registered
918 Posts
So haven't got around to working on the carb tuning/cleaning yet becuase of working on my truck. Would it make the bike run lean if the air cleaner filter is behind the guide instead of pressed against the screen. Too much air into the carb???

Not quite sure what you're asking about the guide, but put it back to the way it came stock.

Now would be the perfect time to take your carb apart and let it soak in a carb cleaning solution while you work on your truck. Any gunk would break down while you are working on your truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not quite sure what you're asking about the guide, but put it back to the way it came stock.

Now would be the perfect time to take your carb apart and let it soak in a carb cleaning solution while you work on your truck. Any gunk would break down while you are working on your truck.

in the diagram manual for the INTAKE 11 is between 12 and 13. PO had it that way.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I assume that the TW has a simple single wall pipe

After some power being used then most 4 strokes would have glowing exhaust pipes

* Of course there is a wide variation in "glowing"

Things that don't glow, bikes etc have double walled pipes so glow is inside

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

After some power being used then most 4 strokes would have glowing exhaust pipes

It was about 6inches down the pipe and only ran it about 5mins in the field at night. I have ridden at night for 30mins at a time but just never noticed it till it was colder out and I went to restart it. I went to open the gate and put the kickstand down before I put it in neutral and then I noticed the pipe being red hot and glowing.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

Double wall pipes are primarily to keep the chrome or stainless "pretty" parts "pretty". They also make great paperweights cuz they weigh twice as much.

If your pipe is glowing at all, ever, you have seriously lean condition.

Fortunately your pipe is single-walled. If it were double-walled you'd have no clue that you were cooking your motor. Sure would be purty til it siezed, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For an update...final got around to check the bike out. Put re-cleaned and installed air filter, took carb out and dismantled and cleaned. Looked pretty clean inside with no visible gunk, although the coast enricher was a little dirty. Took a small cable and pulled a strand off and used to clean the small holes in carb. The carb was a pain to get back in...the air cleaner boot was hard to push back on(any tips on getting the carb in easier)

Anyway put everything back together and road it for a few miles at night and no more glowing. Has a #114 main and a #40 needle. It dies at idle though, turned the idle screw 2.5 turns and still a little rough. Plan on adjusting the valves soon since riding season is about over for me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
qwerty? I tightened the pilot all the way down. Should I turn it out 2 1/2 turns and what does that do? Or is that just the idle screw?

Pilot jet - is a jet under float bowl cover. Tighten until snug.

Pilot screw - is a screw under the removable brass plug on front of carb. Set this to a certain amount of "turns" out from its seated position. 2.5 is a place to start.

Idle screw - is a screw on the side of the carb. Its end rides on a ramp machined in the slide, screw it in and it forces the slide up and allows more air/fuel to enter engine, and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
First of all just wrap your had around it to see if it really is hot and not just colored red.

If it is red hot, it is probably because you are reving the engine while sitting still and no wind is blowing.

Any air cooled engine motorcycle with a single wall pipe will glow red if you rev it up while sitting still.

Tain't good for it either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pilot jet - is a jet under float bowl cover. Tighten until snug.

Pilot screw - is a screw under the removable brass plug on front of carb. Set this to a certain amount of "turns" out from its seated position. 2.5 is a place to start.

Idle screw - is a screw on the side of the carb. Its end rides on a ramp machined in the slide, screw it in and it forces the slide up and allows more air/fuel to enter engine, and vice versa.

Thank you for the clarification.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey there,

Thought I would chime in. I have both a tw200 and xt225. The xt had the red glowing pipe as well after riding for about two minutes. I have something called a carbtune that checks the air gas mix (pilot screw setting). Well after checking it, I found that my air screw mixture was way lean (orange combustion flame color) at the spark plug combustion chamber. I turned the air misfire screw out 4 turns until the flame turned blue. Rode it around about 5 miles and checked the pipe. No more red pipe. I was also having a tough time starting the bike prior to his change but after turning the screw out, it starts up much easier. Hope this helps and is the answer to your issue.

Good luck

Ken

1 - 20 of 27 Posts