TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a tw200 for quite a while now but I have not had the opportunity to actually ride one. I know it will be great for around town and the light trails to ride with my kids etc. but I do ride back and forth to work about 18 miles each way. Some of it about 10 miles is highway. I could use some alternate roads but I would still have to do a couple highway miles. I also like to ride two up with the wife or kids on the weekends around the backroads out to the beaches etc. we are all pretty small under 5'5" 150. I currently own a sporter 1200 low that is ok but dosn't

allow me the freedom of off road. Anyway I can't afford two bikes Time or money wise (wife and three kids). so I guess the question is am I asking to much of this bike?

·
Registered
502 Posts
You're not asking too much of the TW to do 40 miles a day, but that's going to require a big mental leap in how you ride coming from a 1200. The 10 highway miles would be my only concern on a TW, especially if it's anything like crowded Los Angeles freeways. You'll want to tune your carb to give you some more power for the highway miles, and you can even change the sprockets to get some more top end if you must.

The TW is versatile, and it's great to be able to ride just about anywhere, but it's nothing like anything in the 1200 street bike class, so be prepared for that psychology. Your old street riding buddies will call you a weenie and think you lost it for sure.

Too bad you can't have both, because that would be the ideal.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't worry with a little extra experience you will be able to handle the power

Most everyone around here really does 75 on the expressway and commuters more.

They will not see you and then run you over.

It is outside the Japanese to understand that we have 65MPH speed limits

that everyone ignores.

Stay off the expressways or get a different bike

·
Registered
425 Posts
The TW sucks for highways 55 and up, but for backroads and just getting around it can't be beat. Efficient, very lightweight which would be a nice change from the 1200. Once you get used to it you will enjoy it more than your 1200 I guarantee!

Yeah it's gonna take some getting used to - you're gonna have a maximum speed of about 70-75 compared to 100-120, and you're gonna have to get used to cruising 55 mph at about 6500-7000 (depending on gearing) compared to the relaxed 2500 or so the 1200 will do. Also, strong headwinds especially combined with hills will make holding even 55 difficult.

If you can live with speeds of 55 and below and the highway isn't super crowded you should be fine in the right lane at 55. If you try to cruise it at 60-70 on the highways you will probably hate it. If you're not gonna do any serious off-roading like steep hill climbs or muddy stuff that requires a lot of low end power, change the gearing to 14/47 which is the best for the street and fine for light trails too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have street tires on mine and anything over 55 still is scary to me. going over 55 with the stock tires scared the hell out of me. i commute on mine, but i just take side streets between 25-40 mph. if you need to go 55-75, i wouldn't recommend a tw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys I still want one. Most of my friends already know I'm a little crazy. And a lot of them think I'm a weenie for riding a sportster with a full face helmet on. I can't wait to pull up on a tw! Oh well they don't know what they are missing they can be cool and I will just keep doing my own thing. Oh yeah hows this thing two up?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've seen days when 45mph was all Tdub could do, given the conditions, and other days when she wound up to 84mph, given the conditions. Changing sprocket ratios will only add top end going downhill with a tailwind, as the bike won't redline the stock sprockets, unless going downhill with a tailwind. Slightly taller sprockets will allow better roll-out in the lower gears and reduced vibration at highway speeds. Don't get carried away with taller gearing, as too high a ratio results in too much gap between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th--wind her out, shift, and she slows down. Tdub has many highway miles under her tires, including a SS1000. Tdub's highway capabilities improve in traffic due to all the vehicles moving all that air in the right direction. I've done many miles at a sustained 70+mph in traffic due to the reduced aerodynamic drag.

That said, 55mph highways are usually not a problem unless steep hills and strong headwinds. In those conditions, stick to the back roads take the long way home.

I've never known anyone tooling down a multi-lane highway slower than the traffic who has been run over from behind. Just another old myth like loud pipes save lives. I've challenged many who make such claims to give an actual example, and they always come up with a story about someone slowing down getting hit. Usually if you're in the right lane traffic is slow anyway. Duh. Just Keep an eye on those idiots who try to exit right from 4 lanes to the left. They will get you no matter your speed.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I have a 55t rear sprocket and my TW will do 60 mph all day long as long as the headwinds and hills aren't to bad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IDEA

Take the money you will spend on a TW and turn your Sportster into a Dual Sportster.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I looked into accidents once

About 1/3 is that the cage did not see the bike and ran into it (usually at intersections)

I do not know any specific overrun on a high way but I have lived happily by usually moving 5 to 10 mph than the prevailing traffic and get very nervous seeing them rolling past me.

There are more distracted drivers than ever though

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Actually, 1/3 of wrecks (I don't believe in accidents) involving motorcycles are caused by drivers of cages putting themselves in the path of motorcycles--i. e., turning left in front of the bike, pulling out in front of the bike, crossing the yellow line in front of the bike--and the cager claims (s)he did not see the rider. Wearing high vis jacket and helmet will pretty much solve the problem. If you wear dark colors you're just asking to be splattered.

1/3 of wrecks are single vehicle caused by rider error, usually excessive speed in a corner, speed too fast for conditions, or over-braking.

1/3 of wrecks are everything else, rear-ended, rear ending, side-swiped, side-swiping, t-boned, t-boning, runned red light or stop sign, running red light or stop sign, etc. Typically, a 50-50 ratio of drivers and riders at fault.

What it all boils down to is 1/3 of wrecks involving motorcycles can be prevented by the rider making himself seen. 1/2 of all wrecks involving motorcycles can be prevented by riders learning to ride well enough to not take out themselves or another rider. Total, riders can prevent 5/6 of wrecks involving motorcycles. What have you done to make your ride safer today?

·
Registered
15 Posts
well i have a 45 teeth sprocket and i can hit 65 just fine. The only thing is the stock tires make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My final though is that my experience is limited and local conditions dictate what's possible.

Most of my area thoroughfares are marked 55, and everyone is doing 50 - 65. It's coastal foothills and I'm not having any problem holding 55 on most of the uphill, and hitting 65 on level or downhill isn't a problem either. That's a 2010 with stock gearing and a 130 main jet. I can drive on these roads all day and not feel threatened. I sometimes get on the freeway, but it's not my favorite thing because I know I'm at the limit of the bike. I especially don't like the congestion on our freeways here in So Cal; all those cars stack the odds against us. If I had huge hills or bad weather to deal with, I probably would have to think twice about being on the freeway with a TW. There really is a power issue at that point that you have to take into account for your own safety.

@ pbfirefighter22 - The only thing I hear at 65 is the whine of the engine... and some air moving by

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Thanks for the input guys I still want one. Most of my friends already know I'm a little crazy. And a lot of them think I'm a weenie for riding a sportster with a full face helmet on. I can't wait to pull up on a tw! Oh well they don't know what they are missing they can be cool and I will just keep doing my own thing. Oh yeah hows this thing two up?

Well Barry, do you buy motorcycles to meet the criteria of your friends or yourself?

I may seem a bit self centered but I buy a motorcycle to make me happy, not make someone else happy. They can ride what ever they want. What I don't let them do is choose what I buy. If the TW will make you happy, then go for it and enjoy. If passing traffic on the freeway is your thing, then maybe something else is better.

Tws are very versatile and capable but they will never be highway cruisers until they get a lot bigger engine. Then they will not be TWs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both a 2004 HD 1200 Roadster & a 2010 TW200. Love the 1200 on weekends for long rides on both highway and back roads; mostly solo but sometimes with my wife. I got the TW200 for commuting to work which is about 12 miles on back roads with speed limits of 25-45 mph. Get about 72 mpg and find the lighter weight more fun & relaxing for daily commuting than the 1200 on these short trips. Usually, I'll take the 200 for local errands around town over the 1200, again because of the lighter weight and lower speeds (I'm 5'8", 177 lbs). Power is fine on the 200 but I wouldn't push it past 50 mph . . . it seems like the motor is working too hard above that and it could use another gear. I enjoy riding both but after buzzing around on the 200 during the week, getting on the 1200 feels like riding a locomotive & I don't think I would ever give up the 1200 over the 200 (if I had to pick one over the other). Since you're used to the Sportster, I highly recommend you test ride the TW200 before you decide. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey maybe I can teach the wife to ride and get a tw for (her) that way I could keep the sportster and when my friends see me on the tw I can tell them I'm test riding it for the wife problem solved!

No really it does seem like having both bikes would be the way to go at least for a while and if one starts to sit to long it will have to go. I just have to try to save some money in order to have both not easy to do nowadays!

·
Registered
637 Posts
To OP:

I went from a V-Star 1100 to a TW200 and my first thought in the first few minutes of the first ride was, "oh no, what have I done?" And then I realized, after a few more rides, what I'd done: the smartest thing I have ever done in regards to motorcycles.

The highway riding is a concern, but I just stay in the far right lane and ride very defensively when I must ride the highway/interstate.

Good luck on your decision and purchase.

FWIW- I'm 5'5" as well and the bike just fits me perfectly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sold my 93' Ducati 900SS in September and bought a beater TW. The great thing about motorcycles is how you can experience different kinds of fun on different bikes. The TW will never hold a line heeled over at 90mph, with my knee skimming the pavement. However, picking my 10 yr old daughter up after school and riding logging roads with her until dark is something a 900SS isn't capable of.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'd venture there are a bazillion more large cruisers collecting cat dander on redneck carports because they owners are afraid to ride them than there are TWs in existence. Most of the dander collectors were bought, dropped, parked, and not worth nearly what is owed on them, so they sit.

I'd say a good case of MBS is the solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sat on a new tw today at my local dealer (closest one to me) it fits me near perfect they told me $4495 out the door wich I believe is straight msrp for a 2012. I think it's fair and they will let me do a lay a way where I can pay $ down until spring and then finance the rest. I will be getting one buy spring either way with or without the sportster but it looks like I'm going to have 2 bikes for a while. I'm not sure if I should keep looking for a better price or just get the one closest to me. It seems like most of the dealers have 2 of them around here in ma

should I wait for the snow to see If I can get a better deal?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts