TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have found a new place to explore come winter in Southern Nevada east of where the Virgin River dumps into Lake Mead, Monument straddles the Arizona line. Anyone been here?

Very impressive HooDoos, petroglyphs and wildly eroded landforms there.

All seem somewhat accessible by about a 30 + mile loop within the monument with many unique attractions. Road networks extend many to the south most ending at Lake Powell shoreline.

Anyways anyone have any recommendations? I would base camp from a vehicle and then ride the TW.

Oddly enough this is not terribly far from where I met Admiral & Mrs. Admiral on the road to Torroweep overlooking Lava Falls in a fairly obscure corner of Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument this September.

Also not too far from the more well known " Fallen Man" petroglyph.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
....and Kris & Lori, thanks again for the invite to join you two. We sure had fun exploring the roads less traveled around Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National Parks where I finally got to show my Park Pass.:)

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
....and Kris & Lori, thanks again for the invite to join you two. We sure had fun exploring the roads less traveled around Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National Parks where I finally got to show my Park Pass.:)

View attachment 209268
Those pictures are very interesting. What views!

We are so very glad you could come. I have the first-day Kanab-Bryce video (w/Toroweap) completed just not uploaded to YouTube yet. Will have it posted hopefully tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
18,611 Posts
Quite a difference in pictures of Admiral. Old gray bearded man here compared to the eating yogurt one that Fred posted the other day. Miss Lori, looks beautiful as always... what a smile that gal has!! Me thinks Mr. Admiral is one lucky guy!! One of my most loved forum couples. (y)

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does look rather interesting. A more backcountry alternative to Quartzite for a winter get-away. Not much in the way of infrastructure but I prefer things that way. Supposedly infrequently visited as nearby Valley of Fire intercepts & collects most visitors from Los Vegas . Sculpted sandstone of Little Finland reminds me of similar landforms to the north east along the Muddy River.
Person would want a combination of good maps, lots of gas, and time to explore both on & off the bike...maybe camp on eastern arm closer to where Colorado River dumps into Lake Mead .

·
Registered
299 Posts
That does look interesting Fred. Almost past by your post, assuming crowed like v.o.fire. But maybe/ probley not.
Be fun to get up to the summit of Virgin Mtn. Off of lime kiln rd.
Arizona strip has always been intriguing.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remain tempted, although it is twice as far from home as other winter destinations like Death Valley or Alabama Hills. Or three times as far away as some desert hot springs.
Was hoping someone else had toured trough there and comment if it was worth the effort.

SanDue speak well of Valley of Fire but I seek more a more secluded off-road experience where I can camp out and be free to enjoy Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness.
Is this even remotely on anyone's way to Quartzite in the coming year? We could rendezvous and burn some firewood.

Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Looks interesting and I will definitely check it out when I head south next year.
Last year I camped at lake Mead, Government Point with a friend and we took the back way around the Valley of Fire and then returned through the park. GPS came in handy as there was a warren of roads.

The little green tent is where my friend slept. This is Government point on Lake Mead. Camping is included with your park pass.

a bit challenging on the big bikes, but would be a breeze on the TW if you enjoy sand (Lorie you may need to wear THE shirt)

there were some challenging rock ledges, but again nothing of challenge for a TW.

Reactions: Fred and Allanb

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went to Gold Butte NM last year. Camped near Riverside, NV then traveled the Gold Butte Road about 30 miles to Whitney Pockets. The road was mostly old asphalt full of potholes and probably passable for a class A motorhome going slow. Here are some photos of the area.

There are some camping spots on BLM land along the Virgin River on the way in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts