TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a golden eagle prowling around this last weekend, had to lock the cats up inside to remove temptation. Maybe they are common in your region but they are a rare treat for me to see.The eagle was welcome to all the rabbits and squirrels he wanted but I feared for my dogs and cats. My place has a mix of forest and open terrain so i get more visits from residant red-tail hawks and falcons that can flit throughout the trees, and the occasional migratory bald eagle. I always thought the golden eagle was an impressive open space hunter much better suited for a national symbol than the bald eagle. The bald eagle's scavenging and fish eating nature is less noble or macho that the larger golden who aggressively hunts terrestrial mammals up to deer sizes.
images-5.jpeg images-3.jpeg images-2.jpeg golden-eagle-flying.jpg bird-deer_2094466c.jpg
Interesting that very continent short of antarctica has golden eagles or a close relative filling the same ecological niche, that of top air-borne predator. Their 3 inch talons are impressive.
P.S. - These are not my pictures, just "borrowed" from Google Images.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eagle was back yesterday. As I was approaching my truck his large shadow passed right by me, he was very big and very low. Silently slope soaring past me he glided away as I stood dumbfounded at the size of his/her shadow receeding into the distance. That is one big wingspan. Glad I was't a rabbit.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Eagle was back yesterday. As I was approaching my truck his large shadow passed right by me, he was very big and very low. Silently slope soaring past me he glided away as I stood dumbfounded at the size of his/her shadow receeding into the distance. That is one big wingspan. Glad I was't a rabbit.
You need to keep a camera handy for a few days so you can take a picture of it! I have never seen one but am still in awe of the bald eagles that have returned to upstate NY. Majestic.

Tom

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
i've spent many an hour watching goldens fly over the golden state, i too am in awe of them. few years ago, while backpacking in the yolla bolly wilderness off of hwy 36, i came upon one no more than 20' away.... let me tell you the glare could turn you to stone.
beautiful.

i always read ben franklin wanted the wild turkey for a national emblem and argued against the baldy for the same reasons you stated. can't say i'd agree though. ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bald Eagles and Golden Eagles are quite common in the wilderness back country in the Highlands of Cape Breton here in Nova Scotia. They are especially abundant during the annual fall moose hunt and can be seen gathered while feeding on the gut piles.
Amazing creatures and certainly a sight to behold.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way our government acts at times perhaps Ben Franklin's turkey would not have been a bad choice.:p
The camera is a good idea, I tried photographing the Golden as she explored on foot accross the canyon but she blended in so well with the terrain that the image was worthless. I decided bird might likely be a female since girl raptors tend to be larger but I am only guessing.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That was awesome!!!! Where do you guy's find the time to locate these vid's? Oh well, I am glad you find them and share them with us! Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
789 Posts
I see 'em pretty regular out East of Pozo in California Valley on Hwy 58. Might be a worthwhile
detour as you make it to the "Russ fest". 58 is a slow 'en though but very little traffic. I'm headn that way tomorrow
on my way back from Babylon (LA) Taking the dual sport path from 166 to 58 as part of my goal to avoid freeways
on the BMW. Last time I stopped at the "condor center" none seen that trip by what a sight when you do that there is a big bird.
In my book Turkeys are way cooler than Raptors. Taste better too.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I lived with peregrine falcons for a bit. A fellow worker and friend was a falconer and ultimately got his peregrine license after years working up the learning curve of owning various hawks. We shared housing for a while along the Mexican border so I got to see a male and female raised from chicks and assisted a bit their care, feeding and training. It is an extremely demanding hobby. Anyways long story short the peregrine is an air-to-air hunter and stoops from altitude on it's prey at something approaching 200 mph. My buddy's female would take some perverse pleasure in stooping on me from 800 or 900 hundred feet in a full tuck canon-ball dive only to pull out level and zoom by my head, hat, hair still at something like 120+ mph. Scary stuff, she never took to me like my room-mate, her surrogate mother, even though I would try to stay steady with glove out holding bait ( she was supposed to flare and land on the glove). She like going for my head instead at speed.
One day the female refused to fly back to the lure and headed into Mexico. By the time a plane could be rented her telemetry signal could not be re-acquired. Broke my buddies heart, it was also a multi-thousand dollar investment lost. The male went on to a successful career being flown against pheasants and upland game in the Pacific NorthWest.
Living with falcons and his other raptors was an experience. Perched on company truck seatbacks or in the office their poop got on everything. At home they stayed in a special building with one small window. They would shriek very loudly at birds they would see miles away through this little window, very annoying. My poor neighbors! images.jpeg images-3.jpeg images-2.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
i came upon one no more than 20' away.... let me tell you the glare could turn you to stone.
Ever wonder what happened to the Dinosaurs ?

It's Hawk central in these parts - Birds hover over the road verges looking for the next meal like there was no tomorrow.

Had a Sparrow Hawk dive into my garden a few times, scattering the “gang” that had settled there. One Sparrow had a narrow escape, hugging the ground as it fled for its life, nearly took my cats head off it was that low. Cat looks up, thinks “what the hell is going on” — only to have the Hawk shoot past his nose a split second later …………..

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
When in Wyoming I was glassing a few deer on a hillside. There were some scrub with some lying and some standing. I noticed that some were looking back and thought there might be a big buck hiding to the rear. Wrong, all of a sudden deer stood up from all over and herded to just below the top of a ridge. A golden came down and flared right over them. Didn't make a strike, but could not believe the wingspan being almost the length of a deer. Amazing bird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts