TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago in search of relief from high temps I went took Betty Boop in search of old mines and ghost towns east of the Sierra Crest. One good find was the Golden Gate Mine outside of Walker, California. Not much left but what remains is neat.
Upper adit:

Head frame over shaft and beginning of tramway to lower ore 1,500+ to mill site:

Stamp mill still with 10 stamps ground the gold bearing ore to a fine consistency which was then passed over mercury coated sheets to capture the fine gold creating an amalgam:

Whether or not the amalgam was fired and retorted here in the mine office I bet all the wood would test positive for mercury:

It is government property so talk to them about any overdue maintainance

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The road led further into the high country with several rather nice campsites abutting the Carson-Iceburg Wilderness.

Lots of wildflowers were good for traction.

From 9000 feet or so the views were dramatic looking across valley my next destinations.

Besides I like looking down on the tree tops.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
This is just awesome Fred. I've seen the remnants of some stamp mills before but never with some of the actual stamp parts still on site. Big score and you better not mention the coordinates out in the open or some thiefly scavengers will go and steal some of this history.

What great views...double awesome!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
So cool and so preserved. Lots go ghosts up there I suppose.

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Reported gold production is spotty but this looks like another one of those money loosing propositions where after finding a million dollars of gold the developers spend another 2 million unsuccessfully looking for more ( hopefully lost the Investor’s money, not their own;)). This mine ceased operation before The War Powers Act shut down most of the rest of the countries gold mines. After WWII many old mines were flooded or otherwise decayed such that re-opening them was economically unfeasible at $18/oz gold. There is still a lot of gold in them thar hills.
There is virtually nothing left of the cableway that transported ore from the upper two addits to the stamp mill. Some narrow gauge rails still remain in the upper addit and other workings are all collapsed. What remains is esthetically dissolving into the surrounding countryside and makes for pleasant exploring and good views.

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
At least it was cool up along the wilderness boundary and I found nice campsites near pack station where outfitters said they faced very high melt-water run-off making things difficult for their horses. Numerous flies annoyed me so I blamed them on the horses and moved on to other high country. Unfortunately I found out the flies were thick everywhere I went.
A brief sunset soak at some hot springs and I was clean and sweet smelling ready to head up to intended 11,000 foot destinations in the Sweetwaters.

Unfortunately planned road access from the east didn’t pan out as I wandered around after dark on brush clogged “old stagecoach route”. Map, GPS and Googlre Earth didn’t really agree with what I found after dark.

So I backtracked and approached from the west eventually arriving at midnight at lovely 9,200 ft Lobdell Lake where I spent the night, still 5 miles from my goals of the 11,000 foot plus roads skirting Robertson and Wheeler peaks that led to ghost town of Belfort....but that is another story!

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who me? I would never break the rules, or at least admit to it. Those are not my bullet holes in the sign.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Awesome pics I'd love to ride that area! Federal land is nothing to mess with those guys have no sense of humor I'd be careful my knobbies didn't pick up a "federal" rock lol. That stamp mill intact is amazing too!

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazingly intact mill since it is only about 5 miles off highway 395 via a good wide road that services a major wilderness access.
PlacerLode, if you take some drive belts with you I bet your TW could power up the stamp mill and pound out some fresh ore. Might need first gear though.:p

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
PlacerLode, if you take some drive belts with you I bet your TW could power up the stamp mill and pound out some fresh ore. Might need first gear though.:p
Don't forget the ear plugs !

Correct me if I'am wrong but doesn't this sign mean "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES" ?

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, our nation’s Wildernesses are all non-motorized preservations of sensitive scenic areas, something I endorse, respect and observe. Those trails always do look mighty inviting but are just another of life’s many tests of our integrity.
Elime’s photo is of the trailhead into the Carson-Iceburg Wilderness used primary for foot traffic thus seems lightly used. Quarter mile away to the left is a pack station where horses, mules and llamas enter leaving a significantly greater footprint....and more road apples. poop.jpg

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tortoises would eat the road apples! They won’t let me go Turtle Wrangling in the Wilderness.
Go with the llamas.
After seeing a string of llamas munching poison oak clearing the trail ahead of me coming out of Hetch Hechy I am a big fan of those south american oddities. Supposedly great camp guards at night too. mm_travel_photoa.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In the seventies and eighties I used to go searching out places like that in eastern Oregon and northern Cal. Found a lot of old ghost towns, graves, mines, etc.
I started out with an SL 350 Honda, moved up to an XL350 and in the nineties was exploring some of eastern Washington on DR 650 and a TDub.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Little off subject but I'm curious about the carrier you have to haul the TW on the back of your van. Could you PLEASE point me in the right direction or post up some info on that??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do Not trust those stinking Llamas !
My friends old father has a farm ,and he has two Llamas .He has a big heart ,and was storing a fellows things he collected after his father passed ,including two canoes .I buy and sell canoes ,so I made a deal sight unseen on the canoes ,and went with my friend to pick them up .My friend wanted to look at a few boats that were behind the barn ,and I heard a faint "George,George " ,I told my buddy it sounded like somebody was yelling for him .We went to the front of the barn ,and his father was being humped by his Llama !After a couple punches to the head ,my buddy got the Llama off his dad ,and I pulled his dad up and got him out of there .The Llama usually kind of hip checks you when you walk near it ,and I guess he knocked the old guy down .After a week of laughing about it ,I googled horny Llamas ,and it's a known thing ,and a llama humped it's lady owner to death in Australia or somewhere like that .This happened a few months ago ,and I have literally had hundreds of showers since the incident ,and I still cannot get that sight out of my head

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chip:
My carrier is a Moto Jack.
I believe the company was bought by its competition around 2010 so it is buy a used one, make your own, or buy the Ultimate MX Hauler.
Here is link for the competition’s very similar product.
images-2.jpeg images-3.jpeg

Ultimate MX Hauler - Free 3-Day Shipping on $85+.‎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts