TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding slow since I am breaking the bike in. I have not gone over about 40 and mostly closer to 35. As a nice benny I filled up the tank today and the mileage was 88.3MPG. Not bad for a 200+lbs rider. I am not sure if there is much odo error but even saying it is 10% I got 80.

Not bad. I am sure that it will go down after break though. I am lucky around here I can can E0 gas and that helps.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
try it with a gps or a phone app (the running/walking/hiking apps will work too)...i would imagine if your bike is stock and the tires inflated properly the tripometer is probably pretty accurate though

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I am not sure if there is much odo error but even saying it is 10% I got 80.

Not bad. I am sure that it will go down after break though. I am lucky around here I can can E0 gas and that helps.

I figure 65 mpg for planning purposes (conservative), but for most of my dirt riding it's more like 70 to 75.... 60 rung out on the highway, against the GPS. But I have a 13/50 setup, so my highway mileage isn't as good as stock. My speedo is about 10% higher than actual, so I assume the odo is too. That means about 125 miles to dry tank.

And, YES, you ARE lucky to get E0! Figure about 8% less mileage on E10.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not too surprised since I was able to get 70 on my ninja 500. Although with that was really trying. Normally I can get about 60.

The E0 helps and keeps the carbs from gumming up too. I bet if I really tried I could hit 100 but that would be way too boring.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It is a nice bonus that they get excellent MPG. I average about 75 mpg and usually go about 100 miles till I have to switch to reserve.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny plate holder
I went 105 miles thinking maybe I should hit reserve soon. I guess at low speeds I can get 150 out of the tank.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I go 220lbs. and average 80..... My wife is 130 and averages 85... We have both gone 5mpg higher when going slow on the back roads........... At 100 miles we start looking for gas...... OMM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I go 220lbs. and average 80..... My wife is 130 and averages 85... We have both gone 5mpg higher when going slow on the back roads........... At 100 miles we start looking for gas...... OMM.

That is great. I didn't buy the bike for that but it is a nice side benefit. I did get it going to 50 for a second later today but only for a second and let it come back down. It will be great to run a little faster after break in. Really though most of my around town stuff is fine at 35-40.

·
Registered
267 Posts
But I have a 13/50 setup, so my highway mileage isn't as good as stock. My speedo is about 10% higher than actual, so I assume the odo is too. That means about 125 miles to dry tank.

And, YES, you ARE lucky to get E0! Figure about 8% less mileage on E10.

rear sprocket affects mpg on front wheel speedometer ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rear sprocket affects mpg on front wheel speedometer ?

I think you may be thinking about a reading error rather than an actual increase in MPG due to a increased RPM from the sprocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hit reserve at 74 miles on a brand new bike. But I'm not sure that the dealer filled it completely either. Stephen, I feel your pain about breaking in. I've ridden more or less like you, up and down through the gears, varying the rpms as much as possible, although i've gotten up to 55 once or twice, I've usually been keeping it at or below 40-45. It's just hard to get a lot of miles on the bike at those speeds as it limits where you can ride. I believe you'll notice even better mileage when its broken in. Of course, you'll be riding faster then!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I hit reserve at 74 miles on a brand new bike. But I'm not sure that the dealer filled it completely either. Stephen, I feel your pain about breaking in. I've ridden more or less like you, up and down through the gears, varying the rpms as much as possible, although i've gotten up to 55 once or twice, I've usually been keeping it at or below 40-45. It's just hard to get a lot of miles on the bike at those speeds as it limits where you can ride. I believe you'll notice even better mileage when its broken in. Of course, you'll be riding faster then! ;)Try filling the tank up to just under the neck.. I try to do this at every fill up...... That way it gives a more accurate reading. (o; Have fun with the new bikes...... FYI. Our bikes have 10,000 miles and they run "MUCH" better now than when they were new. OMM

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt I will get that milage this tank. I have been running it a bit harder and some higher speeds for my commute. I have still managed to keep it to about 40-45 on my 5 miles of interstate (55MPH limit) but have gone to 50 for a few seconds. I hear a bit louder valve chatter so I will make sure to check the adjust them at 600. I am about 350 now.

I will keep the oil fresh as in clean filter and change each week until its clear of metal. I started working at a dealer and the a gallon of Yamalube is about $15. Cheap and easy. Overkill likely.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
85mpg ? wow that must be the record for these bikes. so like 170 miles till you turn on reserve ?

You need to replace the battery in your calculator.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I consistently get 90 to 95 mpg and my best has been 104 traveling four miles of pavement at 45, 50 mph onto six miles of gravel road at 30, 35 to 60, 70 miles of USFS roads including 7, 8 miles of game trails. Don't roll on the throttle hard is my best tip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts