TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in awhile due to feeling like shit from my recent incident with job and potential employer. Let me say first that the guys on this forum are a+. I bent my bars and I was asking who had a stock one for sale and jb882 just send me one in the mail and never asked for shipping our anything in return. I put them on this week and I'm back up and riding. Unfortunately I've been in the dumps. I "worked" for a local gas utility for the last 4+ yrs but around a year ago I started the process of applying and interviewing for a water company outside of phila. It was a great opportunity for my family and myself. We planned in moving to a more rural area so my son could get a better education and quality of life. Not to mention I would be working in a nicer area considering I spend 10hrs a day in the poorest and most crime riddled posts of the unner city. Its a dirty and dangerous job. Ive been dealing with a pretty incompetent HR guy from the new company and he's clearly not very qualified. He's constantly saying things he's not even cleared to say and having to make me wait even longer but I didn't even care since I was just happy to leave my old job. So I get the official offer a month ago and told not to give my 2 weeks until he clears my background. 10 days later he calls and says congrats and your all clear to give your notice and gives me a start date. I give my notice and 2 days before I start he calls and recinds the offer with no explanation. I find out he did a separate check and found an arrest from 11 yrs ago that was dropped. It turns out that's illegal to due since it wasn't a conviction and so does he do he changed his story and says I lied in the interview. Which is absolutely no true. He never asked and I felt no need to disclose since application asks for convictions in 7 yrs. I'm now out of work and lost a booth my pension and health care due to a person with no regard for others.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That sucks out loud. As much as i hate lawyers, sounds like you need one. My wife worked for a company that her boss was going to another job and wanted her for his ex secretary , I even bought my first 88 Tw from him. Anyway, he told her to put in her 2 weeks and quit and then he would do the same and they would start their new jobs together. When he put in his 2 weeks, they offered him a deal to stay and the shitty HR person their sailed my wife down the creek and wouldn't let her come back.. She hasn't worked since. Lets hope things happen for a reason and you find a better job. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I am in my 30th Year at Southwest Gas Corp all 30 as a Service Technician what job did you do with them? we have been hiring service tech's in Arizona and Nevada some of our guys left and got on with PGE in California and the gas company in Colorado both of them have been hiring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used to be on the other side. Whenever I lost a valuable employee, I would often say to myself..%$#@I'll find a better one. ..and sometimes I did. I wish you and yours the best.

Will

·
Registered
297 Posts
Schmitty-sounds like you need to talk to zdiver1-maybe Arizona is in your cards! Really-don't rule it out. Just my 2cents. Otherwise, lets all gang up on our TW's and go get the guy!-Glenn

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
+1 to all the above with an emphasis on "get a lawyer". ( My AutoCorrect made this substitution: "get a LAZER". Maybe Smitty could use both:p). Seriously Smitty is a wronged party with damages, pain and suffering, aggravation, lost income,lost seniority, lost health benefits grandfathered in due to seniority, etc, etc and is thus due suitable compensation looking forward plus some punitive damages from a firm so negligent to jeopardize public safety by allowing an unsupervised unqualified human resource employees to decide who is involved with vitalsafe public water supplies....How is that for mumbo-jumbo? Sick the lawyers on them! Ask for a bundle and at least get a equitable severance package after expenses.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Met with an employment lawer and he's unsure if it will hold up. 20min after he called and took the job offer back a woman who I know that got my foot in asked him why and he told her I would be a negligent hire due to the arrest. If he looked any further or took the proper actions under the fcra then he should have given me a copy of the report and let me explain. The law says he needs to do that before revoking the offer. She sent me that message right after she spoke to him. Then I pointed out that law and he changed gears and is saying he asked me in the interview and I lied. Instead of speaking up and admitting he made a mistake he hangs me and my family out to dry. The attorney didn't want to take it on. I'm going to try another smaller firm. Zdiver I only wish I could up and go. I need to take care of mom. Yes I did service as well.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Corps usually hire lawyers as HR bosses because, well, lawyers are easy to catch in a lie: If their lips are moving, they are lying.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Met with an employment lawer and he's unsure if it will hold up. 20min after he called and took the job offer back a woman who I know that got my foot in asked him why and he told her I would be a negligent hire due to the arrest. If he looked any further or took the proper actions under the fcra then he should have given me a copy of the report and let me explain. The law says he needs to do that before revoking the offer. She sent me that message right after she spoke to him. Then I pointed out that law and he changed gears and is saying he asked me in the interview and I lied. Instead of speaking up and admitting he made a mistake he hangs me and my family out to dry. The attorney didn't want to take it on. I'm going to try another smaller firm. Zdiver I only wish I could up and go. I need to take care of mom. Yes I did service as well.
I will give you updates on openings your mom would love AZ I live a 1/2 mile from Sun City a large retirement community. SWG is the largest stand alone Natural gas company in the USA. in the PHX area 8 service tech will be retiring in the next 22 months I am one of them I am at 21.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
You won't regret getting out of Philly. That place sucks. My daughter-in-law is from west PA and she has nothing good to say about east PA. Run will you've got the chance.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
2nd opinion from 2nd lawyer sounds good. Moving to Aridzona sounds good too. No snow-shovels needed in Pheonix. And you are not considered an outlaw or social pariah if you like firearms.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
This thread has bothered me. If I was in your shoes I'd be more concerned with getting the family someplace nicer to live than getting anything out of that crap former employer. Us slaves really can't deal with the masters unless we are of color or don't speak English. Sad to say, but it is simply way too expensive to be innocent anymore, and white. Welcome to Amerika, Comrade.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Schmitty, I sure hope you have some of this info in writing or in emails. Phone conversations don't cut it and as mentioned the HR idiot will lie through his teeth. If you do have some printed proof of the offer and the start date then a good lawyer will take them to the cleaners for punitive damages. The HR guy stuck it up your ass and then broke it off and that just is not right.

Any one of us could have been arrested along the way which is pretty meaningless unless there is a conviction following it. That guy sent you down the river without a paddle and needs to make things right.

Best of luck but do find a good lawyer and go for broke fighting this.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts