TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Amazing what one can find in satellite imagery these days. Some anomalies are inadvertent distortions, some are government censorship, some just make us scratch our heads.
Cyber scouting for this weekend's ride opportunities I came across these aircraft images all by themselves out in the bush. Image was from last year , may be some sort of spoof but they are pretty isolated for an actual prank in the real world. Will try to locate them on foot tomorrow but fear I will not find anything.
Does give me a good excuse for a ride though.
If not for an apparent lack of visible cockpits I would think they resemble a pair of Schweizer SGS sailplanes. Soaring is popular along lee slope of Sierras

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.14.01 AM.png

SCHWEIZER-SGS-1-23.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Interesting for sure, Fred! The two seem to have the same bearing - I wonder if it could be the same craft flying above ground and captured by two images spliced together??? Google Earth has been a great fishing tool for me. Clicking on "View" and checking the "Historical Imagery" box will give you access to numerous old images. Using this feature you are able to view your favorite lake or reservoir during very low water levels. This will show you normally submerged structures like channels, drop-offs, rocks, trees, tires, etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I spend waaay to much time on google earth and suffer from a morbid fascination of the Chocolate Mtn. Impact area.
I watched this video of scrappers/ tweakers who enter the area looking for aluminum and have little regard for all the unexploded ordinance.
Scrappers Vid.
The most dangerous area is “clusterville” where they still drop cluster munitions, the area is so toxic they won’t even set up targets anymore. The white specks in this picture are casing halves from the cluster munition. There are two casings about 4’ long per bomb and 200+ submunitions with a 10% failure rate so for every casing you can see there are possibly 10 live bomblets laying around. There are hundreds/ thousands of casings spread out for miles but I had to zoom in for resolution
Pro Tip: don’t pick up anything you find in the desert, take a picture and ride on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Willys 714, couldn't agree more with you on that, leave things as they are. When I was doing my conscription in the army we had 2 idiots kicking a dud AP65 grenade between them and it exploded. Both of them suffered wounds from their shins to their groin arias. After treatment they were sent to court martial for damaging themselves (government property) and were both convicted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Soldiers kicking a munition,Play stupid games win stupid prizes. You might want to watch the video and see if you recognize any familiar faces. Especially the knucklehead beating on a 500 pounder with a rock.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few miles from home is this artifact from the early days of last century when AirMail came by bi-plane and IFR truly meant "I FOLLOW ROADS" . Back then Instrument Flight Rules usually meant wiping the raindrops off pilot's goggles so one can see the compass and altimeter.
These concrete pads with matching towers pointed the way to the nearest airport, in this case Reno, NV.
I tried riding there once but was twarted by an un-crossable irrigation canal.

air marker.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
I watched a movie about those airmail markers. If I remember right, some guy found them on google earth and started seeking them out (just like you, only he made a movie). Seemed like a healthy way to enjoy retirement
I’m amazed by the latest resolution, you can now see even faint game trails. So much to see and so much to do.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Wow. I never gave any of this a thought.
Thank you for sharing.
Now, I enter the rabbit hole of GE.
See you guys in a few months!
LOL!
Seriously, this is pretty cool.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Soldiers kicking a munition,Play stupid games win stupid prizes. You might want to watch the video and see if you recognize any familiar faces. Especially the knucklehead beating on a 500 pounder with a rock.
Yep I had a look at the video, and yes it is a bunch of stupid idiots messing around there. For the most it seems that drugs play a major role in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts