TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AuT_LV-58[/media]

The full ride was 25 minutes, it's played back at 600% and lasts just under 4 minutes. I travel from the Kowloon side (mainland) to the island of Hong Kong, crossing then underwater Cross Harbour Tunnel, one of the most congested roadways in the world.

This is the common commute for me on my TW - it shows the benefit of riding a bike in HK - traffic can back up for miles so having the ability to weave to the front gets me from A-B a lot quicker. This is also the reason I went with a smaller handler bar on my build.

Hope you like!

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I have to admit, I'm glad I don't have to comute in a congested metro area such as yourself. But if I did, a TW looks like a good choice. Couldn't quite tell by the video, but do you get to drive through stopped or stalled traffic (lane splitting)? If so, that makes the TW or other small motorcycles an even better choice.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah! Lane Splitting is Key here, the video ran at 600% speed, but from 1:15-2:15 i'm basically running through stopped / slow moving traffic... I'm going to grab a friends go pro and try to link two up next time to give you a good view of what i go though...

thanks for the comment.

Nerk

·
Registered
453 Posts
like the music m8! you could jus do the same trip again - and then cut between the 2 days run ( your commute? ) or maybe if u shot it 4 days running? 1 forward facing. 1 rear facing.. one mounted low to your front fork or something. and one helmet mounted so you get some movement rather than fixed perspective.

600% speed is cool actually!

ps love the helmet.. what is it?

pps - I do the same lane splitting thing on my hornet! the TW is better if it gets really tight tho.. jus for salaaming between stationary cars! motorbike is the best way to get around HK - as long as u dont mind the summer sweats!

BTW if u see an orange TW going the other way give my missus a wave - she likes seeing other TW's on the road!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dub,

It's a Fly Trekker. I ordered it through an American company I found on e-bay. I had also purchased my last helmet from them - They always give me the lowest pricing around.

Helmet is great, a few other Forum Bro's have one as well.. a little bit big and bulky, but it works for me.

Nerk

·
Registered
453 Posts
he may have a point! more cam angles would be better!

here'a a vid I made a few weeks ago.. I only fall off 3 times in the video
best one is 3 min 40 ish - where my "friend" T bones me pushing me down a pretty steep slope!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFAUoh1zfgI[/media]

I got some nice footage of riding to Shek o - thats a great road.. I guess people like to see more of HK,,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kwizard said:
OK; I hate to be the nay sayer here; but the truth is(IMHO) that your vid is boring and self centered, and lacks real content. It's all about you. That's fine; I guess, but a single still shot would have sufficed. I think most here would have liked the vid much, much more if the camera was pointed in the opposite direction.

Kwizard, thanks for your feedback, why don't you tell me how you really feel.. The video was made on a whim and was the first time I hooked up the GoPro.. all for fun.. Self centered!? woah that's the last thing I expected someone to take from the video.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry i dont take offence so easily, I see you updated your "self centered" forum profile picture, great!... The idea was to show people the lane splitting near the tunnel.. anyways, I'll live!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i liked it Nerk...way better than watching nascar
...def post up more!

i picked up a small cheap keychain video camera a while ago that i think i'm going to mount to my bike (for entertainment or legal purposes if they arise)...the quality won't be anywhere near that of Nerk's video on a GoPro since this thing is only a few bucks (the miniSD card cost more than the camera)...i'm thinking i may use 3m dual lock (plastic velcro) to stick the camera to a piece of sheet aluminum that i will make into a bracket...i want the bracket to be easily removable and i would rather not have to drill anything on the bike to mount it so i need to think of a stable place on the front end of the bike to mount the bracket where it won't vibrate...since i don't have mirrors bolted into my lever perches i was thinking of mounting it to my non-stripped lever perch (mirror bolts are 10mm right?, can't remember which one is stripped, i know the right one has a left hand thread)...or maybe to one of the reflector mounts on the fork...or maybe the front fender bracket...or maybe the bottom triple clamp...or maybe 2 cushion clamps on the fork or handlebar...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Point37 I think the only way to avoid vibration is to keep it off the bike. Velcro it to the side of your helmet.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
i'm thinking i may use 3m dual lock (plastic velcro) to stick the camera to a piece of sheet aluminum that i will make into a bracket...i want the bracket to be easily removable and i would rather not have to drill anything on the bike to mount it so i need to think of a stable place on the front end of the bike to mount the bracket where it won't vibrate...since i don't have mirrors bolted into my lever perches i was thinking of mounting it to my non-stripped lever perch (mirror bolts are 10mm right? or maybe 2 cushion clamps on the fork or handlebar...what do you guys think?

I think your gonna have fun with that little camera, even if the video quality isn't the best. Goofing around with it is half the fun. I've messed around a lot with mounting locations and camera's. I've mounted a camera on the center of the handlebar, to a plate with the mirror holding it down (like what you've mentioned), and both B-dub and I have tried a mount on top of our gas tanks. All work, but vibration is present.

99% of the time now, I mount a camera to my helmet as SRS713 has mentioned. I also just started experimenting with 3M Dual Lock for the camera. Works fairly well so far. All things have there limits though!

Have fun with that camera!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You may want to consider using a tether on your camera in addition to the Dual Lock. Dual Lock is good stuff, but my cheap little video camera, that I had secured to my helmet with Dual Lock is now laying somewhere out on the strip. It fell off unnoticed. I've heard a leader of fishing line, and maybe a swivel works well as a tether.

·
Registered
453 Posts
yeah a tether is a good idea, just make sure if it does dangle it dont get pulled into something.. few weeks back we had a stroke of luck, mate had dropped his camera somewhere on a grass plain we had taken a short cut thru, went back a week later and I run it over
how lucky is that

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Point37 I think the only way to avoid vibration is to keep it off the bike. Velcro it to the side of your helmet.

I think your gonna have fun with that little camera, even if the video quality isn't the best. Goofing around with it is half the fun. I've messed around a lot with mounting locations and camera's. I've mounted a camera on the center of the handlebar, to a plate with the mirror holding it down (like what you've mentioned), and both B-dub and I have tried a mount on top of our gas tanks. All work, but vibration is present.

99% of the time now, I mount a camera to my helmet as SRS713 has mentioned. I also just started experimenting with 3M Dual Lock for the camera. Works fairly well so far. All things have there limits though!

Have fun with that camera!

You may want to consider using a tether on your camera in addition to the Dual Lock. Dual Lock is good stuff, but my cheap little video camera, that I had secured to my helmet with Dual Lock is now laying somewhere out on the strip. It fell off unnoticed. I've heard a leader of fishing line, and maybe a swivel works well as a tether.

yeah a tether is a good idea, just make sure if it does dangle it dont get pulled into something.. few weeks back we had a stroke of luck, mate had dropped his camera somewhere on a grass plain we had taken a short cut thru, went back a week later and I run it over
how lucky is that

thanks guys...all good points...if i mounted it to the bike i was planning on taking off the kechain part and putting a string with some type of clip that's easily removable so if the dual lock does fail it will hang...i may also try and work in some rubber to try and dampen the vibrations...i did think about putting it on my helmet but i have a few helmets that i ride with and i don't really want to put the dual lock on them, plus i would have to run a tether to the strap and every time i need to mess around with it i have to take the helmet off cause the controls aren't all that great...but i was thinking of maybe making a bracket that i could mount to the buttons of my bell...snap it on and off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts