TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Melted butter with a hint of garlic perhaps :p and just pretend they are huge lobsters.

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
We have just done them as finger food before...not too many Cajuns in Southern Idaho...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
The secret ingredient is boiled traps, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Depends on the size and what sort of water you’ve caught them in (yeah, we’ve got the little boogers over here too). First thing to do is to flush ‘em out in fresh water while they’re still kicking, then either lightly boil first, or stick ‘em straight in the oven with a bit of butter and the flavouring of your choice (garlic, chilli, pepper etc). If you boil them first they’re (slightly) less chewy.

I know people who like to suck the brains out, but if you’re that stuck for vitamins, you already have a problem.

Basically, it’s outback pan food – if you tried to go all “gourmet” on the things, they’d probably die laughing anyway.

They make good bait though if you’ve got the time for a spot of fishing (just use the tail, even fish are fussy about somethings) …..

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
No clue how to cook, but hope you enjoy the hell out of them. If I were doing them, I am always in favor of garlic and butter. I wonder if some bacon cooked with them would add flavor??? Bacon makes everything better.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Depends on the size and what sort of water you’ve caught them in (yeah, we’ve got the little boogers over here too). First thing to do is to flush ‘em out in fresh water while they’re still kicking, then either lightly boil first, or stick ‘em straight in the oven with a bit of butter and the flavouring of your choice (garlic, chilli, pepper etc). If you boil them first they’re (slightly) less chewy.

I know people who like to suck the brains out, but if you’re that stuck for vitamins, you already have a problem.

Basically, it’s outback pan food – if you tried to go all “gourmet” on the things, they’d probably die laughing anyway.

They make good bait though if you’ve got the time for a spot of fishing (just use the tail, even fish are fussy about somethings) …..
[h=1]Anglesey! Cool.[/h]
You gotta LOVE the TW Culture.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Never had baked, just straight up boiled with above mentioned seasonings, or cajun season And Butter; strain. Eat hot.

Stay back of neck. Back meat good. Brain meat...you gotta be hungry.

Bacon won't aid. Traps...???

If lucky enough, boil 1/2 ears of corn and small potatoes with.

Kinda like catfish; Mudvane. Thumbnail cleanly removes.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
i ate 5 lbs of them mud bugs in texas once.... 74 (- minus one my friend ate) of the freshwater crustaceans, dang they were good, but after after nearly a pound of alligator before... you needed to roll me out.

when we used to catch them we just boiled them in feather river water and eat 'em with butter. yum!

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Well Trav...how were they? :p

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I miss the crawfish festivals that I attended when I lived in Biloxi Mississippi. When I boiled crawfish there is only one seasoning and that is... IMG_6093.JPG of course a true Cajun sucks the heads.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I miss the crawfish festivals that I attended when I lived in Biloxi Mississippi. When I boiled crawfish there is only one seasoning and that is... View attachment 56978 of course a true Cajun sucks the heads.
No zat at our store....made an onion garlic, hot paprika, tony chacheres boil....im not cajun, but have always sucked the heads..

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
No zat at our store....made an onion garlic, hot paprika, tony chacheres boil....im not cajun, but have always sucked the heads..

When it comes to Creole that's when I break out the Tony Chacheres

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
There is a lake in central Oregon, Crooked river lake or something like that. One of my friends would go there on a weekend and come back with a bushel of mudbugs the size of small lobsters.
The main pincher was about 5 inches or more long on many of them.
Down along the Alsea river in coastal Oregon I used to collect about that much of them almost that big. My buddy had been a gormet cook and knew how to make an awesome sauce for dipping them. I found a small cave back under a small waterfall that was stuffed with them. When I would go in with my scuba gear, they would all blast past me in a storm and settle in the sand outside the cave where they were easy pickings to put in my collecting bag. Since they always scoot backwards to try to get away, I would reach behind them and they would scoot into my hand. Out in the open water in sunlight and sand it was easy to harvest the biggest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts