·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope the TW doesn't get jealous, but I bought a project bike:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
They certainly can be fun bikes. I found mine especially nice around town with that step-thru frame and auto trans. Even though I was a much younger fellow, I still found long off-road trips to be punishing. In my opinion, the CT 90 & 110 had a suspension that makes the TW seem to feel like an off road magic carpet. It should be a very fun project, just don't forget to wear your 'kidney' belt
.. Gerry

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plan is to use this bike (CT90) and my CT70 as runaround bikes when I retire and travel with our fifth wheel. I already carry my CT70 on the front bumper of my truck and I'm designing a carrier for the rear of my fifth wheel to carry the CT90 and two mountain bikes. I'm not planning on taking the TW because it's much heavier and I'm just looking for a couple of bikes my wife and I can run down a gravel road on or pop over for some milk or cruise the campground for some hot chicks...okay older hot chicks...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike:

Have you read the adventures of a young English fellow who rode a CT110 (postie bike in Australia - he named it Dot) from Syndey, AU to London? It's on ADV. It's a great read.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

Syndey to London on a Moped named Dot

It's a long read, so be sure to grab a beer beforehand.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mike:

Have you read the adventures of a young English fellow who rode a CT110 (postie bike in Australia - he named it Dot) from Syndey, AU to London? It's on ADV. It's a great read.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

Syndey to London on a Moped named Dot

It's a long read, so be sure to grab a beer beforehand.

That was a great ride report. I know he is working on a book. Don't know how far that project has gotten but if he gets it published I plan on buying it. I do go back to his RR on ADV about every 6 week to see what's going on.

That RR had a quite a following. To other members of this forum--if you have not read this RR on ADV please check it out. Very entertaining.

MIke

PS --Vuldub thanks for bring this up.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
TW2007, How dear is too dear? I'm not sure whether I got mine posted on the old thread or not, but here's my ct110 (with the dual range tranny). I too wanted it for carrying on the motorhome hitch carrier. I drug it 4000 miles to Niagara Falls and upper Ontario this summer, and its still crying to have some of the road grit lubed away from cables etc. Its great to have a bike you can ride full throttle without endangering yourself or others.

1981 CT 110 with 1600 miles.

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
TW2007, How dear is too dear? I'm not sure whether I got mine posted on the old thread or not, but here's my ct110 (with the dual range tranny). I too wanted it for carrying on the motorhome hitch carrier. I drug it 4000 miles to Niagara Falls and upper Ontario this summer, and its still crying to have some of the road grit lubed away from cables etc. Its great to have a bike you can ride full throttle without endangering yourself or others.

1981 CT 110 with 1600 miles.

Tom
I learned something, I always thought the 110 did NOT come with the dual range trans. I will start looking for one now, thank you !

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Boy, I would guess, to find a 110 with the duel range, you will look long and hard. My 110 did not have the duel range but seemed geared pretty low in 1st and 2ed. What I noted with the duel range on my 90's was that in low range, the gear noise got MUCH louder. Perhaps Honda used straight cut gears in the 'transfer case'. I was not inclined to use the 'low range' unless it was really needed because of the noise. I put more miles on my 110 than I have on my TW. Then again, things in my life were very different at that time. That bike was my main means of transportation. During that time in my life, I was lucky enough to transport Kimberly into the hills to do a little 'skinny dipping'. Boy that motor got hot on that trip, but then I was determined to 'make the grade'. She was a very pretty young Lady, and the memory is a sweet one even today. Being naked and sitting in the sun, nothing more. Then again, that was the time for such things. Gerry

·
Registered
136 Posts
one of my Rokons has a 110 with the hi/lo switch. The quiet engine and auto clutch works out good for the brush.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CT110's made for Australain Postie service were not dual range, but ones exported elsewhere where dual range. It's my understanding that the CT110 never made it to Canada, making it difficult to find here, or I would have looked for one.

Tom, is your bike a US version?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The CT110's made for Australain Postie service were not dual range, but ones exported elsewhere where dual range. It's my understanding that the CT110 never made it to Canada, making it difficult to find here, or I would have looked for one.

Tom, is your bike a US version?

Affirmative, My bike appears to have been made for the USA. Why do I say this? Well, the sticker with the VIN number on the steer tube says the bike was made in Japan and conforms to all federal standards in force at time of manufacture. Nothing is mentioned about the Queen or driving on the wrong side of the road. One other thing that seems to vary on 90s and 110s is whether they have pax pegs. Mine apparently did not have the pax pegs, but they have been added by someone along the way (somewhere on the formerly 1600 miles (now 1900) that it has been ridden. Mine has the quick release handlebar clamp (allowing you to spin the bars for loading in close spaces and as a consequence I think it has a bit of a loose feel to the bars and steering (i.e. if it was a bicycle I'd say its head set was loose), but its not the headset but only where the bars attach to the steering tube (actually the clamp that attaches to the steering tube). I'll get the bike in the sunshine sometime soon and take some better photos. I'm also unsure whether the pax seat that I got with the bike is a stocker or not. It attaches to the luggage rack with two c clamps at the back and a couple of bolts in the front. Tom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Neat bike! I hang around with a group of guys who collect/wrench/ride these CT bikes. I've gone with them on a couple of their rides (I generally run sweep on my TW since neither of my vintage Honda's are trail-ready yet). The last ride I went on with them was ~85 miles, 95% off-road. Out of 15 bikes four had to be trucked-back to the starting point from the lunch stop all the other's made it with few if any problems. Here's a link to their site:

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/

I don't have a CT Honda although I do have a rare 1961 Honda C110 (50cc) Sports Cub and an '86 Honda Reflex (Honda's attempt to combine a dual-sport and a trials bike).

--Kevin

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Kevin> I am a member on that CT forum too. Lots of helpful guys over there. I broken the front brake guide on the front wheel hub - its moulded into the hub. I asked on the forum what I could do and someone mailed me a replacement - just asked for postage! Lots of great guys on this forum too - similar MOs. Now the Vulcan forum, that's a different cat. Lots of harley haters and speed demons (aka organ donours, not too many slow and steady types over there....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cool! Yeah it is a nice forum and a great bunch of guys! It's too bad not every forum can be as freindly as this one and the CT one!

--Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts