TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
That's a nice helmet. I think I have the same one but in white.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I absolutely didn't want black. That's all the store stocks so I had them order it in white. I told the rep that I would buy orange if they made it.
I get an email that my order is in and I decide to look online to see what else I might want to pick up while I'm there. The very first thing that pops up on the main page is the orange helmet... and its on sale!. So when it arrived I returned the white one.

Orange just makes sense to me because hunting is allowed where I'll be riding.

Registered
There's some real interesting research on "white" being most attentive to others, even over hazard, green, red & orange. I'm not sure why, something about the human brain.
You really would think Orange would be the most.
I have not bought any other color since the 90's though I do have a vintage red helmet that I'll use as a spare for time-to-time. It's not full face so that is seldom.

My Harley and crotch-rocket buddies that think all black helmets coupled with all black riding wear is some sort of bad-ass look are fashion over function folks.

Registered
"...My Harley and crotch-rocket buddies that think all black helmets coupled with all black riding wear is some sort of bad-ass look are fashion over function folks..."

Think about how it looks, worry about how it works!

Registered
Anything for heightened visibility seems wise. Helmet looks very good in orange and the reflective tape is a plus.
On a group ride my eye first seems to fixate on any yellow helmets visible in the mirrors, followed by white with black helmets far down the list of those I notice. I'm the only one with a fluorescent orange helmet I ride with, however I wear the yellow one most of the year now.
When I park the bike for a hike the yellow helmet left on the handlebars is the first thing I notice when scouting for just where I left that darn Betty Boop.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I've read all the research regarding collisions involving different color cars. White is the most likely to stand out.

However the research didn't include orange cars as it's a very small portion of cars on the road. I've owned an orange vehicle and it stood out lol.
Of course your surroundings will dictate what stands out.
My bike is white. I'll wear some variation of white on my jacket. But white gets lost in the desert and orange stands out to hunters.
So I figure a mix of colors with good reflection is a pretty good choice for an all purpose set of gear.

Besides I just really don't like black helmets lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The Scotchlite is cool because it just looks black until light hits it. Plus it's retroreflective, so it doesn't just reflect the light, it sends it back to the source. So the car sees it, not the dude sitting at the bus stop.

Registered
"However the research didn't include orange cars as it's a very small portion of cars on the road. I've owned an orange vehicle and it stood out"

Funny you should mention that.
The guy I work with wreaked his car on the way home one night. He needed another right away and got the pumpkin-colored Subaru. Said it was all they had on the lot but I think secretly he liked it. We all kidded him about it. For awhile it was the ugliest and only one in the parking lot. Whenever I would see one parked or on the road I'd take a picture and send it to him.
Then I noticed another, and another, and another.

So many of those orange Subaru's out there that my own perception to an orange car or crossover is completely numb now.
Recently seen Ford's and even Fiat's with the same exact color. Crazy.

Registered
I put a couple of pieces of that 3M tape in grey on my forks a while back. Just with confidence know that you are still invisible. Especially in an urban setting it seems everybody is multi tasking on the road., coffee drinking...on the internet ... smoking pot while driving down the road ... eating and driving, texting. It seem as if driving in a car aint what it used to be. Watch out for fools on the road wherever you live. I'll say it again INVISIBLE

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely I would always ride as if I'm invisible. I sometimes commute to work via bicycle. I wear a white helmet, reflective clothing and have reflective panels all over my bike and gear. Heck, each spoke is reflective. Plus I've got high power strobes front and rear. But I don't rely on it, I forget about it and ride like I can't be seen.
But it doesn't hurt to add these features in hopes they help.
I don't let myself get distracted yet I've had close calls with cyclists who blended in at night.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
"However the research didn't include orange cars as it's a very small portion of cars on the road. I've owned an orange vehicle and it stood out"

Funny you should mention that.
The guy I work with wreaked his car on the way home one night. He needed another right away and got the pumpkin-colored Subaru. Said it was all they had on the lot but I think secretly he liked it. We all kidded him about it. For awhile it was the ugliest and only one in the parking lot. Whenever I would see one parked or on the road I'd take a picture and send it to him.
Then I noticed another, and another, and another.

So many of those orange Subaru's out there that my own perception to an orange car or crossover is completely numb now.
Recently seen Ford's and even Fiat's with the same exact color. Crazy.
Believe it or not I got hit in this thing and the other driver said "I totally didn't see you" LOL.

Attachments

Registered
HaHa, oh my God, that's the color!!!!!!!!!

Same here, I drive a Lobster Red Jeep Wrangler and have folks "drift" into me just short of touching. Apologetic as in "sorry, I didn't see you".

On a bike I'd be dead.

Registered
Thanks for letting me know about the 3M retroflective tape! visibility was a big concern of mine when I ordered my Scorpion EXO-AT950, unfortunately the color choices were very limited but I loved the modular design of the helmet. I figured adding bright pin stripping would help a little (plus it matched the colors of my bike ;) ). after reading this post, I ordered the black 1/4鈥 3M scotchcal from amazon. check out the link below to see how it looks.

Registered
Anything that can help is a ++++++++

1 - 18 of 18 Posts