TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went and bought a TDUB today - a 2013. So far, I love it! Only took it on a short 12 mile ride so far - just after I got back home with it.

Many thanks to the members that helped me to decide on this over the other bikes that I was considering! I really like the lower seat and fat tires. It's also very controllable and easy to ride. The thing is very forgiving in terms of operation and I think comfortable considering it's such a light bike.

Also thank you to the Mississippi member that steered me to the dealer that had this - Laurel Yamaha - very nice folks - made the whole thing easy as pie.

Here's a pic with a couple of my dogs getting in on the action:

Looks like a TW200 don't it? lol

I like the color- white is good when you live on a dirt road...

Now, I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at the break in that is needed... only 1/3 throttle all the way to 600 miles? Wow. That doesn't allow for much does it? I'll post another thread to discuss this further...

I also bought a helmet and a mesh jacket. The salesman threw the helmet in for free and gave me a discount on the jacket. The helmet is a G-Max and the jacket is a Fullmer.

I like the helmet - the bottom comes up to allow you to slip the thing on with glasses on - and then you bring it down. There's a sliding sun visor inside too which is nice - don't have to worry about sunglasses. The venting seems OK but it's still a helmet... going to be a bit hot I guess not matter what you do. Seems fairly lightweight - was listed at $179. Oh, and it has an led light on the back - on, blinking and fast blinking - guess that will be good for night riding... The jacket is a bit warm - does vent but I can't see having this on when it's 90+ outside. Came with a liner though and will be good for cooler weather. Has the shoulder, elbow and back soft armor plates and pockets inside for your phone and such...

Anyhoo, looking forward to riding and getting past the break-in period...

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Woohoo, congratulations!

Nice looking TW.

You will find there are almost as many opinions on breaking in a bike as there are on what oil to use. Just change the oil and clean your oil filter a few times during those first 600 miles and you should be okay. Let the mods begin . . . .

Brian

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - yeah, I was just reading another thread about a new bike - and the discussion of oil/filter changes - saw some pics with the metal filings - holy cow. I see why the break-in now. Guess I'll just have to be patient...

Can you find the filters at the local Autozone?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I doubt if Autozone would have a filter for the TW. While I believe there are some paper filters out there, all of my TW's use ones with a metal screen that I just clean off and reuse indefinitely.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
As far as the break in, IMHO, just keep varying the speeds and I would refrain from WOT for a while. Oil is cheap and engines are expensive. Hell, mine is 22 years old and just recently got through the 600 mile break in. Go have fun.

GaryL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations on your new TW200, OSOK!! Now my leg just needs to heal and we can do some riding. A buddy that I work with and I went in together and bought the Northbound and Southbound Mississippi Hill Country Maps from the same guy who mapped out the Trans American Trail (TAT). So once I'm all healed up we're going to ride it on our TW's. You'll probably be through the break in period by then and hopefully you can join us.

Lance

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Even the dogs are fighting over which one gets to ride it first:p

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Congratulations on your new TW200, OSOK!! Now my leg just needs to heal and we can do some riding. A buddy that I work with and I went in together and bought the Northbound and Southbound Mississippi Hill Country Maps from the same guy who mapped out the Trans American Trail (TAT). So once I'm all healed up we're going to ride it on our TW's. You'll probably be through the break in period by then and hopefully you can join us.

Lance
Hey Lance! Well, for your sake, I hope you heal up before I get there, but I'm going to take a lot of short trips and rack up some miles - got 47 on it so far.... Went to town to buy a couple of fasteners for the license plate.

I would love to ride with you guys - if we do any camping, I can provide some decent food - that's what I do for a living - sell cajun food.

Gotta get a rack and bags...

And thanks again for putting me on to Laurel Yamaha - Chad there helped me - good people.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks - and it probably makes sense to ditch the first one - after break-in? I mean, all those metal filings....
depends how it looks when it comes out but just for piece of mind i would replace it just because it's the first one...and just clean it and save it for an emergency spare

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That is an interesting helmet. Is that the GM54S?
Yes it is. Is that good? :)
Well, it got good reviews on one of the websites that I looked at. A few people mentioned they added a little bit of their own padding at the very top of the helmet. Other than that, they were happy with it.
Please let us know how you like it after you have some more miles under it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, so far I like it. I do have to watch when I flip the visor up = I tend to catch the front vents and close them by accident. With all vents open, it's not bad for flow-through. Of course, I'm not used to a helmet yet so it feels... like a helmet I guess lol. I really do like the chin piece/visor flip-up feature a lot having the glasses. I do notice that the top front rides down a little and gets a little too far down so I'm peering "under" it - maybe that's the reason for the little extra padding - to get it to ride a bit higher... I'll try that - thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depends how it looks when it comes out but just for piece of mind i would replace it just because it's the first one...and just clean it and save it for an emergency spare
If they don't stock these at the autozone (doubt it), I'll just have to clean it the first time - I want to get the oil changed - have 42 miles on it and the general consensus is change the oil to get the shavings out. I will order a new one and do as you say for the next change at 150 or so. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Kerosene is a good solvent to clean the filter with btw. Nice machine. GMAX makes a pretty good helmet....I have the GM-11D.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks - used wd40 this time - seemed to work good. Interested to see what the oil and filter look like at 200.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts