TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is that wider than stock?
Looks like a quality rim, but of all the things to upgrade on the tw, I don't know why putting another 18" wheel up front would be high on my list, especially with the deathwing on, even temporarily.
Is it tubeless? That would be handy.
Maybe it was free? Maybe you already modded everything else?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Congrats. How is the XL500 engine swap going? Is your bike still for sale?

I agree with Yawp about the deathwing. Nothing wrong with it on the street/road but if you’re upgrading to an expensive rim there are so many better tire options.

What made you choose Excel over Warp 9?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
tjet that's a darn good looking front wheel .
Excel makes a quality product ....
How much lighter is it then the factory wheel ?
Pardon my stupidity but are there benefits of
The wider front wheel other then cosmetic ??
mike from NC

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a deal on the rim, and my friend built it up for me. As for why, because I want to install a 140/80-18, but the original 2.5" rim would pinch the tire too much. Incidentally, a 140 width tire on a 3.5" rim will "match" the rear better than the factory front tire at keeping the tire profile equal. I'm going to hold off on the 140 tire until I extend the swingarm to see how much the rear will raise.

Tire, divided by rim width:

180/4.5"= 40
140/3.5"= 40

Original front: 130/2,5"= 52 -

I don't know about the rim weight.

My XL is on the back burner. Both bikes are in CA at my dad's. I'm currently in the Northeast :(

The standard Supermoto front rim width is 3.5"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can see how much the original tire widens with the 3.5" rim. As far as the "DeathWing" moniker here, I haven't noticed any real issues in my limited ownership, which most miles were on loose sand.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

The thing I have noticed is that it telegraphs what it's going to do - like in slow motion. This has to be the most stable bike I've owned - love it. I can see the attraction to these cool machines.

That skinny tire & rim on mt TW is just there to keep my bike off the jack

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You can see how much the original tire widens with the 3.5" rim. As far as the "DeathWing" moniker here, I haven't noticed any real issues in my limited ownership, which most miles were on loose sand.
View attachment 218264 .

The thing I have noticed is that it telegraphs what it's going to do - like in slow motion. This has to be the most stable bike I've owned - love it. I can see the attraction to these cool machines.

That skinny tire & rim on mt TW is just there to keep my bike off the jack
Looks really good

·
Registered
340 Posts
Really nice looking, did you lose some weight with it as well..?

There's a reason why the DeathWing nickname was given to the stock TW front tire....

·
Registered
475 Posts
tjet, Forgive me - I'm not an engineer - but in the context of tire and rim width performance what does this math actually tell us? So what if the original tire/rim factors were different? What's the overall implication, given use of the new, wider front rim?

Tire, divided by rim width:

180/4.5"= 40
140/3.5"= 40

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok. So your tires will distort depending on the rim width, right? If you had the exact same size tire, but had one on a rim that was 1" wider vs the other one, the tire would distort, which changes the profile edge / curve.

In the equation, you are dividing the tire width by the rim width. The ending value itself doesn't really mean anything (the =40), You just want to match up the tires the best you can with wheel width vs tire width.

For example, lets say the rear wheel width on a TW200 was 4.25" instead of 4.50". It would look like this:

180mm tire, divided by 4.25 = 42.35.

Again, that 42.35 doesn't really mean anything by itself. Now, lets say you have a 2.75 wide wheel on the front, and you are looking at 3 different tires. The tire widths are: 110, 120, and 130. The math for each would look like this:

110 / 2.75 = 40
120 / 2.75 = 43.63
130 / 2.75 = 47.27

So with this information, which tire above would be the closest match for the rear tire, as far as the distorting factor of the tire and profile?

Is this an exact science? no. Is it even necessary? probably not. Does it give me OCD closure? Yes :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts