TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a hand held GPS that will work well on a Dual Sport Trip

I am not looking for some Hi Tech piece to mount on the TW....to much of a pain in the backside...I have a Tom-Tom for the car, and it works OK...nothing great but at times of road construction/detours it does good.

I am looking for a quality unit that works well for not only walking but that I can travel with on Montezuma's and my upcoming Great Lakes Adventure....looking at a quality unit between $150 and $350...looked at several so far including the Garmin e-trek 20 2.2

Any comments, Ideas, suggestions?:confused:

Hoot

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^^^^Thanks Doc Mike, I think that solves my problems:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
what phone do you have? I use my s4 and just download the sections of maps i need then the phone will work with gps signal when out of service areas. Ive used it all through Utah and Colorado and worked great. alots of good options out therr

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what phone do you have? I use my s4 and just download the sections of maps i need then the phone will work with gps signal when out of service areas. Ive used it all through Utah and Colorado and worked great. alots of good options out therr
LG 3, so far the GPS is not all what I had hoped for, but will try a few different GPS downloads before I pull the trigger on another unit..

upDATE

Actually downloaded a "MAPS" app on the LG3 and it works pretty good....nothing special, but with Montezuma having a 4G I think maybe we should be good to go.....thus saving me a few hundred bucks...:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
My Dad gave me a Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx as a gift. I like it a lot. Waterproof. I have a mount that fits it and a RAM mount to hold it to the TW [however I misplaced the mount, or I'd show you a picture].
I have been very happy with it, but around the great lakes, if you are on a trail, beware that there is a lot of iron in the ground, so take the time to learn how to turn the compass off, or the map will constantly swing on you. Or I should say, if it starts to swing a lot, and you know you are walking in a straight line, turn it off. The GPS does just fine. Oh, and using a compass yields similar results. My cousin gets very turned around sometimes because of the iron in the ground.

Enjoy your trip. It will be fun.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Mine in my ram mount. 10456219_10203124827193632_292544082_n.jpg 10515028_10203124825793597_1389570928_n.jpg only had 90 miles on the TW then.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
Pat, you might wish to look at a free program for your and/or Nik's phone called " Back Country Navigator" which brings forth very detailed imagery at various scales using USGS 7.5 minute data. You have to place yourself correctly in the map, but it does show you minute detail of trails, jeep tracks, elevations, water features, etc that Garmin GPS data lacks. It is something you can use in advance of days ride to plot interesting things to not miss, access to camp or scenic picnic spots, backroad shortcuts to avoid heavily traveled highways, etc. Plus you can quickly zoom in and out of page changing scale much faster than any GPS I have used. It is a good tool to use in conjunction with phone's imbedded GPS location via Google Maps or a Garmin like device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts