TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys ,

I as trying to get informations about recommendations and past experience on GPS and mount. I didn't get much lucky , if i use the search feature of the forum for "GPS" it's too short and i don't get result.

So here questions , what would be a good GPS for the tw200 with a good mount.I love the ram but i was not able to make a decision on the GPS. Here the options i see :
- Getting a cheap garmin and a mount.
- Using my Iphone and a mount.
- Using a "trail" gps with road capabilities ( i have no experience with this type of gps and i don't know if it's usable in a city ).

I need the gps for my commute rides and avoid highway.
Let me know if you have any recommendations , past experience , pictures are welcome ! Details on the outdoor gps are very welcome !

THanks for the help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am prepping to update my GPS too. My plan is to use an ipad mini in a FRE case on a RAM mount. I retired a garmin 530. The garmin 650 didn't make the grade.
I'm a big fan of ram mounts on atvs,motorcycles and in vehicles.
Ipad has a 10hr battery life and the cases should address ruggedness.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have both a Gamin 60csx and 205W on my Tdub. I like the differences that they provide. Muley12-2011-3.JPG Muley12-2011-1.JPG

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
On my TW I have RAM mounts for both a Garmin nuvi (285W) and my Garmin 60CSX. I bought the nuvi for use in the truck and the Garmin 60csx for hiking and geocaching. Both are sometimes used on the TW just because I am too cheap to buy a bike-specific GPS. If I was going to buy a GPS to use only on the bike I would not buy either of the above units.

I would not recommend the nuvi 285W because it is very difficult to read in the daylight – the screen gets washed out. (However, maybe other nuvis are brighter?). The 60CSX is easier to see but in my opinion the screen is too small for easy viewing of the map page. (The 60CSX does work well if you want to setup one of the custom pages to only display 3 variables – such as Speed and Direction and something else – with only 3 items displayed the parameters are large enough to easily read).

I love the RAM mounts. I got one with the short arm (1.75”) and one with a 3 inch arm (3”). Both work well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use a Garmin Rino 120, GPS and 2-way. The best part of these, are that you can send your location to another Rino and vice-versa, this way if you get seperated you can find each other.
DSCN3470-M.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been using my Garmin Legend in the Garmin handle bar mount for years. Bought a second Legend for a backup and it died a quick death. I think from vibration. Something to consider in your search.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have had a number of different GPS units on my ATVs over the years. One thing for sure that you do want is a big screen. I had the Garmin Rinos, both the 120 and the much better 520 HCI models and they do have some great features with the Peer Location ability but the screens are way too small to be of much use while riding. Vibration is a concern so if you can mount a unit in as vibration free of a mount you will save yourself some headaches. You also want a water proof unit that can get wet or even dunked for a minute or two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody !
Does the GPS like the Garmin 60CSX/Rino are working to get directions in the street as well ? or are they just offroad ?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Rino's don't do street maps but I don't know if the 60 can. I think in the Garmin line up if you want both street and topo maps you have to go with one of their costly marine versions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The rino 530 used Could be loaded with street maps and had a routable basemap with major roads on it. The rino 650 did not have a routable basemap but couple be loaded as well. Very $$$

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I, too, just went through the GPS decision fiasco. The main reason I wanted a gps is that with the TW, I like to ride in a lot of places where data for maps on my phone is either slow or nada. So, where do you ride? On the street, in populated areas...your phone should work fine. Like to ride trails off-road, cell service spotty, hunt or boat where a gps will also come in handy?

Okay, gps it is. The biggest thing I learned is that it is all about the software/maps. I think the only way to go is to get the 1:24,000 series topo maps for where you are going to ride. They are much more detailed than the basemaps or even the 1:100,000 series topo map. They even have a lot of the roads making the city type nav maps unnecessary. A lot of handheld gps units will bundle with the 1:100,000 series topo, which is what I did. This one isn't very detailed. If I didn't get the bundle for cheaper than the unit without the map, I wouldn't buy it unless I was a nationwide traveler. The more detailed series runs about $75/region.

Now, the unit itself. What's important to you? A big screen? Touchscreen? Portability? Weight? Price? Your choices are many. Your needs and budget will help you decide on this one, just make sure that you aren't so cheap that your unit won't work with the bigger map files that allow you to use the better topo maps or the city navigation type maps.

Here is my story if it helps anybody else. I wanted to choose from the cheaper side of the range. I wanted to use it offroad mostly, and onroad when my phone doesn't work. I wanted a portable unit that I can make "tracks" and use for other things like boating, hiking, hunting. I wanted a color screen. I wanted topo maps. I ended up with a Garmin etrex 20 bundle with a soft case, usb cable and 100k series U.S. topo map on micro sd card. I got a great deal on the bundle through Cabelas, $169 I think. It's one of the smallest sizes which was a concern for me as everybody wants that screen size. I mount it to my handlebar with a ram mount. I was pleasantly surprised that I could see it fine while riding. In the sunshine with the light off it was easy enough for me to glance at to see upcoming turns, etc. It is very light, takes AA batteries, and accepts micro sd cards that all of the good maps come programmed on from Garmin. I decided to download City Navigator into it's onboard memory so I can always have a great road map anywhere I travel. The topo maps are on sd cards so I can choose a detailed region card, the 100k full U.S. card or a personal card that I can load my own downloaded maps onto. Costs: Unit bundle $169, City Navigator $75, Region 24k topo $75, Ram mount parts $40, 3 Lithium AA batteries $7. So, I'm in about $365 bucks or so for what I wanted shopping around. Some of the bigger screen handhelds cost more for just the unit without maps, so I feel okay with my choices. Thanks for the look, and good luck.

A couple of pics where you can kind of see mine mounted:

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I have a Garmin Legend H and an Oregon 450t. The Legend is "black and white" and when the sun shines on it it is easy to see. The Oregon is in color and is very pretty when the lights are low and the back light is on but is hard on the batteries. I find the Oregon hard to read in the sun.

I paid $40 for the Legend H and I like it. I bought it first. I paid $240 for the Oregon 450t and so far I am not very happy with it however that may change as I get to know it better.

If I could find another new Garmin Etrex Legend H or Vista H for $40 or $50 I would buy it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Garmin has a help line you can call and they really can help you make an informed decision. There is some term they use for units that are both street map and topo map compatible. For serious off reading you will want one with a lot more features such as track back which prints a bread crumb trail on the screen that you can reverse to follow back.
i have a Hummingbird chart plotter/fish finder in my boat that can do both street and topo maps and can be used in a car or truck with out the fish finder transducer. I like the marine units much better for a few good reasons. First is they are built to take a pounding in a boat and they are water proof. Second, they have a much larger screen that can be seen in any light condition and they can be programmed as a chart to take you to a predetermined, plotted place and back. If you are vision impaired or need reading glasses to see small print on screens you won't be happy with any compact handheld unit while riding through the woods. Lastly, keep in mind that all of these higher end GPS units, marine, handheld or what ever can be rather technical and may take some learning time to get up to speed. Being computer savvy will help a lot because much of the planning and mapping is done on the computer and downloaded to SD cards to be put into the mobile unit. I don't know a fraction of the things my Hummingbird can do or how to set it up for many of the functions but I did drive from southern NY all the way to northern Maine using the road maps and once I got to Mooshead lake I mounted it in my boat and switched to the Navionics lake maps and had all the best details I needed to take me to exact fishing locations on a very large body of water.
Chose wisely and do lots of research prior to dropping your cash.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
JS5owner has the best idea by using both a hand held and street navigation GPS.

I use my GPS a ton for navigation. I have a Garmin Vista HCx and love it, but as most hand held GPS's, it has some major drawbacks if you want to use it while riding (though I do). Hand helds have small screens and are hard for us multivison wearer's to see, plus I've never been able to figure out if the hand held can auto reroute using roads (not worked for me thus far) unless I've already loaded a seperate alternate route. I've used mine on a handle bar mount for a fews years and have not had the vibration killing GPS syndrome others have mentioned, but hey, anything electronic can fail. Typically, I pre-route all my intended riding on the computer, then load it to my GPS.

If I could afford it though, I'd go the way JS5owner has mentioned.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Garmin 60csx is my choice with a Touratech mount for it. The mount is lockable as well. I've use it on my BMW F800gs as well as the TW. Done many trips across Australia with it and love it.
you can also get a power cable for it to power it off the bike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice

Thanks everybody ! With all your comments and advices I did some reading. It seems the garmin handled gps are my favorite so far (Autonomy , Water proof , Can do both off road and on road ).
Now I have another question that I was not able to clear using google. The garmin 60csx seems to be a standard but was replace by the 62 and 78 series.

A used garmin 60csx or 78 are both around 200 dollars on ebay , any idea which route is the best ? Having a more recent modern sound interesting but I see a lot of people only using garmin 60csx.

Thanks !

·
Registered
162 Posts
001.JPG I use the GPS Map 62S with North American street maps. Awesome set up. I have a mount on every vehicle, wired w/a 2 pin battery tender type plug. I can switch between vehicles in about 20 seconds, I use this everyday, hell I'm addicted! I've done 2/3rds of the Trans American trail and have never been let down w/the street map upgrade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you decide to buy the GPS on eBay.... you can almost always save money by watching the auctions that end on Tuesday or Wednesday. There's less competition.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
A used garmin 60csx or 78 are both around 200 dollars on ebay.................................................
Be patient and you will find one for <$100

Or a factory refurbished Oregon 400t for $180 on ebay. Or an early/cheap etrex with a $13 handlebar mount -- figure out what features you really want and will use then spend the big bucks..........

Here is a list of the discontinued Garmin handheld models and their features. Be patient and a real bargain will come along.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/discontinued/cOnTheTrail-cDiscontinuedOnTheTrail-p0.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts