TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I have been thinking about my new build bike, and while initially, my analog speedo will be fine, when I swap out to the big wheel, I'm going to need to look at other options.

I was looking at GPS speedometers, and while I understand limitations when riding in cities and dense forest cover, anyone else use them or had any profound problems with them?

It would be nice to just have lighting/power cables and not worry about any magnets or speedo cables during install... also one less cable taking up space in the front end.

Here is one I've got my eye on:

Runleader Digital GPS Speed Gauge

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I just use my hand held GPS in dashboard mode mounted to my bars. I imagine a simple 3" display GPS like the Tom Tom would also do good PLUS it would have a map as well as dashboard mode.

Here's mine;

·
Registered
478 Posts
Android/iPhone running Tomtom Go perhaps, it uses downloaded maps so no data connection required. We have digital speed displays at the side of some roads and the Tomtom display is always accurate to them.
Another option could be MemoryMap that has a speed display along with offline maps.

Edit.
Just had a quick look on Google Play Store and there are loads of Speedometer apps. Maybe you could utilize an old, spare phone.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
I use an old iPhone as a gps (Gaia, Avenza, OnXoffroad). I also loaded a speedometer app as buellzebub mentioned. I don't normally need to know the speed I'm going but I did try it out. It's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha, ok ladies and gents, this is a little ridiculous, but funny.

So I picked up two gps speedometers to try out, one I received a couple days ago, seen here:

So I've been using that one as my template for a dash bracket, planning wiring for power, and the second one shows up today, I bought for a more classic look... and when I took it out of the box, the sheer monstrosity of this thing was overwhelming.

For those of you suffering from bad eyesight, and are tired of speedometers that go way over the TW capable speeds... I give you the 1980s sight-impaired-giant-button-telephone equivalent gps speedometer...

I may mount this speedo on the rear rack to make wheelies easier...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts