TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a GPS for my bike but i don't know what options are out there for riding dirt roads/country roads. anyone have any advise? I would like to get something where I can type in/choose a location to get somewhere and also one that will show where I have been. Any of the veterans out there have any pointers?

DesertRat

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I dont have any experience with them but most of the guys who i have ridden with that had them use the garmin 60csx. The nicest one ive seen is a 276??? Go to bigdogadventures and check his out his bike stable pics. He showed it to me on a ride last fall and it was a really nice setup.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
GPS topics can get mindboggling.

Couple of things I can suggest to look for:

1) Large and color screen, better when to view maps. Non colored GPS is hard to see the relief lines etc.

2) Get one with an external SD or MicroSD card slot, or very very large internal memory.

My GPS is not color and has a small screen. Good for hiking, but not trying to look at while reading. Maps that is. Other functions like compass and nav date pages are fine not being in color and can be seen while riding.

Also, my GPS has a fixed internal memory. When downloading Topo maps for off road/trail riding, I can only load part of the state map data. Friend has a external SD micro card version of the type GPS I have, and I could load the entire state on his SD card. Way better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use a handheld unit. Delorme Earthmate PN-60. It's waterproof, shockproof, full featured, runs off a pair of AA batteries (alkaline, lithium, rechargeables, any type) or 12V cord or AC cord. I have it mounted w/ a RAM mount. I use it on all my bikes, moto or peddle, kayaking, hiking, skiing, geocaching, etc... Has topo (military grade topo), street, nautical, satellite maps... Delorme has the best maps in the industry... Mine has 3.5GB on internal memory (up to 16GB now available), has standard SD card slot, you can add another 32GB of memory using an SD card.

Link to DeLorme: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10460

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, thank you everyone! i started doing the research on a couple of units. im actually surprised at what they can do now. they have cameras and all sorts of little gizmos. it's kind of like a gps version of the swiss army knife, complete with a wine bottle opener...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
admiral,

i have seen a number of your video clips. im especially impressed with your snow chain video. i would have never of guessed that a tw would handle so well with chains. impressive sir! and i love how you got your dog to ride with you. thats awesome!

DesertRat

·
Registered
178 Posts
Garmin 76CX - Does tracks and routs. $150 new at West Marine.

I have and use one it works great. I think they come with a 100 meg memory card but a much larger card can be used.

I have a 2 Gig and I think you can even use much bigger than that.

The included maps are worthless. They only have the major roads on them. You need to buy City Navigator for about $80.

Mounts nicely, is waterproof and runs about 24 hrs on 2 AA bats.

The color screen works great in bright sun light. The unit has a back light but outside in any kind of daylight I have never needed to use the back light.

Back light works great in the evening but does shorten battery life.

The display looks small but I find it perfect for use.

The Garmin 76 series use the same software as the 60 series. Very well thought out software.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The GPS I have right now is a Garmin eTrex Legend (small, black and white screen). I'm going to get the Garmin Nuvi 2360LMT. The LMT stands for lifetime maps and traffic updates so you save coin there. It runs $170 right now on Amazon, and should fit nicely in a Firstgear small Laguna tank bag (which should fit the TW). This way I don't have to worry about someone snatching it off the bike since I'll take the bag with me, and I can easily switch over to using it in the car. Just my opinion and the route I'm taking. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A few days ago I started a thread entitled Dual Sport Maps (DSM). Am I missing something by using my cellphone and the Dual Sport Maps app as my GPS? Admittedly, a few years ago, using a cellphone in remote areas as a GPS was a joke, because the GPS chip was weak or not standard. Plus, reliance on cell towers for locating information is not acceptable, even today in offroad, isolated areas.

Times have changed. Almost all smartphones and many basic phones come standard with a very good GPS chip/antenna. The accuracy of my HTC Incredible's GPS has amazed me, working flawlessly in the mountains of north Georgia.

Here is what I know. Please correct me where I'm wrong. Please add other benefits that a dedicated GPS provides that the DSM app on a cell phone does not offer.

## DSM GPS ... Description of feature

-- --- --- ... --------------------------------------------

01 Yes Yes ... Location from 8 GPS satellites

02 Yes Yes ... Location when out of cell range

03 Yes Yes ... Able to record offroad tracks

04 Yes Yes ... Able to upload/download tracks

05 Yes No- ... Integrates with the free Dual Sport Maps tracks database

06 Yes No- ... Acquire tracks in the field from the DSM.com website. (This is amazing!)

07 Yes Yes ... Map/Overlay for streets

08 Yes Yes ... Map/Overlay for terrain

09 Yes Yes ... Map/Overlay for satellite

10 Yes -?- ... Map/Overlay for OpenStreetMaps (OSM) worldwide

11 Yes -?- ... Map/Overlay for USGS roads

12 Yes -?- ... Map/Overlay for NRCan (Natural Resources Canada)

13 Yes -?- ... Map/Overlay for current radar

14 Yes -?- ... Map/Overlay available tracks in the area

15 Yes Yes ... Points of Interest (POI) available, e.g. gas, food

16 Yes -?- ... Compass

17 Yes -?- ... GPS satellite signal meter

18 Yes Yes ... Able to add waypoints

19 Yes -?- ... Able to add photos

20 No- Yes ... Waterproof (actually there are a few waterproof cellphones)

21 Yes No- ... Remote control with charger available as in This YouTube Video.

22 Yes -?- ... Maps are always current

23 Yes -?- ... Current position available to other riders (cell signal)

24 Yes -?- ... Current position visible on website (cell signal)

25 Yes -?- ... Supports user uploaded geopositional local maps

26 Yes -?- ... Share tracks from the field with other riders

27 Yes -?- ... Supports .GPX files and free mapping software like Garmin's BaseCamp for offline mapping

28 Yes No- ... Provide feedback to the developer. (He's already added one of my suggestions!)

29 Yes No- ... Cheap ($20)

30 Yes No- ... Functions also as a camera and a cellphone.

31 Yes No- ... Works on any Android phone or tablet, v2.2 and up. (No iPhone version)

I've got a Garmin GPS in both of our cars, but I've never used an "off road" GPS like the Zumo or those more suited to hiking.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
A few days ago I started a thread entitled Dual Sport Maps (DSM). Am I missing something by using my cell phone and the Dual Sport Maps app as my GPS?

This is a very intriguing option. I am very interested in it's capabilities, and should I upgrade my cell, I will definitely consider a phone which could accept this app. Dez Rat or anyone in the position to change/purchase/upgrade GPS technology, as I am, should consider your option for sure.

For Dez Rats benefit from TWiumph's thread, I personally like the large screen of the cell phone over my current GPS. This is part of what I mentioned above, large screen for us old blind fellows. Giggle.

Dez Rat, because of the lack of snow, I took my chains off yesterday . . . and woke up to a skiff of snow this morning. Figures!

But today I ride anyway. And like your forum name, I'm doing a desert ride!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Gaia gps app for the iphone is kinda neat. Ive been playing with the free one but they have a better version for a little money. I think they make ram mount/phone holder for most smart phones. Im not sure if the phone charger plug would hold up very well or at all being mounted to the handlebars if doing any off road riding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The GPS I have right now is a Garmin eTrex Legend (small, black and white screen). I'm going to get the Garmin Nuvi 2360LMT. The LMT stands for lifetime maps and traffic updates so you save coin there. It runs $170 right now on Amazon, and should fit nicely in a Firstgear small Laguna tank bag (which should fit the TW). This way I don't have to worry about someone snatching it off the bike since I'll take the bag with me, and I can easily switch over to using it in the car. Just my opinion and the route I'm taking. Good luck!

BeeWerks,

i really like the idea of having the gps installed on a "tank bag". then you can easily take the whole thing with you. the only downside to this that i can think of is having to look down farther while riding. do you have any issues with this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gaia gps app for the iphone is kinda neat. Ive been playing with the free one but they have a better version for a little money. I think they make ram mount/phone holder for most smart phones. Im not sure if the phone charger plug would hold up very well or at all being mounted to the handlebars if doing any off road riding.

Small's,

i wish i had an iphone. im just not that hip any more. 5-7 years ago i would of had it, if it was out then. maybe if i convince my wife to buy it for me... maybe if i bat my eyes hard enough she will. nah, i doubt that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dez Rat, because of the lack of snow, I took my chains off yesterday . . . and woke up to a skiff of snow this morning. Figures!

But today I ride anyway. And like your forum name, I'm doing a desert ride!

go figure. isnt that the way it is? just when you think you're good to do something, it always comes back to get you! the past 6 i've only done desert rides. mainly because i was living in Tucson AZ at the time. but to me, desert rides are amazing. great night rides and amazing sunrises/sunsets! good luck on your ride. take plenty-o-water!

·
Registered
908 Posts
There's one problem I have with using smart phone / cell phones as your dual sport GPS... Most smart phones are around $400 to $600 to replace if you damage it (unless you're paying extra for insurance).

My cell phone (HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T Network) does do nice GPS work, but there's no way I'm strapping it on my handlebars.

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx... great gps and well known around the world.

A slightly fancier model is the GPSMAP 62S.

The one I would get today is the Garmin eTrex 20 or 30. These are very powerful units that are priced well.

Any of these mentioned Garmin GPS's will take incredible abuse, from vibrations, falls, mud, water, and much more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's one problem I have with using smart phone / cell phones as your dual sport GPS... Most smart phones are around $400 to $600 to replace if you damage it (unless you're paying extra for insurance)...

Durability is certainly a concern. I will consider the military spec Casio G'zOne Commando as my next smartphone. The developer is experimenting with a Sony Xperia active. I still believe a standard smartphone in a tankbag map pocket or in a weatherproof OtterBox on a RAM-mount is likely to be as durable as most Garmin GPS's.

Regardless, having a backup GPS, whether it is a cellphone or a dedicated GPS or even some maps is always a good precaution when offroading a long way from home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts