TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a person could use a GPS like used in a car to show back roads or trails. Sofa i have not been able to find out if like a Garman gps would show these trails or rock roads. Does any one know or have used the car units for this.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I use one that allows different map layers to be used. I'll put a topo on in places where trails are shown but it's hit and miss. I don't know if any car units that allow this.

·
Registered
928 Posts
While I haven't invested in one yet, GPSKevin recommends the Garmin Nuvi. This guy is a trail riding fool who seems to know his stuff. If you have a bit more change in your pocket, you can buy the motorcycle oriented GPS units that are already waterproofed. But his page has tips on waterproofing the Nuvi to suit most of our needs.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I have a nuvi on the right handlebar and the other one on the left. The nuvi dies not allow tops, at least mine doesn't but it does lay tracks for track back and that's a great feature to have.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I used a Garmin Montana that allows both highway maps and great Topo maps. Still have the entire set up I removed from my last TW with all the mounting for power on the bars. Great units and perfect for your desired needs.

GaryL

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you can put a card in the Nuvi, you can access and enable or disable the maps on that card. I won't say EVERY NUVI but it's been fine on all the ones I've used...way back from the little square ones to the newer unit I have with Bluetooth and blah blah.... I've used TopoCanada on an SD card with several of my Nuvi's with no issue.
Here's how to enable/disable extra maps: (Scroll down to the Nuvi section....)
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/

There are also great apps for smart phones that offer way more options, minimal investment, large clear screen, and let you carry one less device around.
Rever is an app I liked, Google maps now lets you download and save maps offline.

I have used a LOT of different Garmin handhelds for geocaching and logging every KM in my jeeping and ATV days, and now that I found an app called LocusMapPro, I actually sold my Garmin handheld and now do all my GPS-y stuff in that app. I have no affiliation, but if you're looking for a smart phone app that does everything a dedicated GPS unit does (but better), try it. There's a learning curve, but mainly because it gives you so many options.
For instance....
GPS or most other apps: "Import"
This app...gives you the option of importing into a folder, a nested folder, downloading and tagging each waypoint with missing data (altitude, etc) automatically, dleating all data in the chosen folder and replacing it with this new data, etc etc...

I'm a big fan of a file and folder structure rather than a database where you really (mostly) have no idea where your data is. This app works great with folders, sub-folders, etc.
Again, the amount of options are a little mind-boggling, but I like software that lets me do things the way *I* want, not the way that the developer felt would be best for the majority of users, but possibly being completely opposite to how *I* want. So....for me, lots of options is better than no options.

I tried and tried to find an app that did everything my handheld could do, but had added features for easily storing and organizing all my data, backing it up, all kinds of different map options, integrated superbly with geocaching....woooo!
I'm a cheap bugger and always find a way to do stuff like that free. With this one, I tried the free version for a day, and paid the $10 for the full version the next day.

If you don't mind doing a bit of online research, you can do what you're asking...and free. While there are shady ways of 'finding' and using software, you can also accomplish what you're trying to do at GPSFileDepot. They have a big community that has built maps that you can put on a card and the Garmin units will play well with them. Usually there are at least 2 pieces of software involved to "Garminize" a map so it will play with their operating system.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Garmin Montana with 24K topo maps. You could probably find a used 600 like mine on Fleabay or Craiglist. With the rugged mount they are very tough and waterproof. As noted, the 24K state maps at GPSFileDepot are free.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I've got a Garmin E Trex 10. A basic hiking type GPS. Good for marking way points for later re-visiting or re-tracing your ride if you get in unfamiliar territory. I don't want a GPS that shows me everything, I like a good adventure.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
FB, Like Gary, I have a Montana 650 with the mounting cradle, which powers the unit until I take it off the bike which is nice, it saves the battery. I have the 24k maps in it and you can layer the mapping as you wish. This setup has proven quite rugged and dependable and the screen is large enough to be visible while moving while the unit is not so large as to be in the way while riding.
Good luck and please post what you end up doing, good ideas are priceless.

Bag

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use my iPhone mounted to a ram mount when I want backcountry gps. The app I use is called Gaia gps. Gaia gps is much more in depth than my garmin gps with 24k maps.

Use your iPhone with a quality gps app, you'll have way more layers to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
515 Posts
Anyone try the Garmin inReach Satalite Communicator? Kinda pricey but had a lot of features. SOS calls also
Used them for a couple of big trips.. Son riding MC and we in our Truck and camper rig. We had two.

Maps are not resident on the inReach's. To have maps you would need a smart phone pared to it. Load your maps in the device. The inReach's are a great tool when used properly.

The other down side is you must pay a fee to use it... Otherwise it is a dead duck!

Jim

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I use my iPhone mounted to a ram mount when I want backcountry gps. The app I use is called Gaia gps. Gaia gps is much more in depth than my garmin gps with 24k maps.

Use your iPhone with a quality gps app, you'll have way more layers to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used my Gaia App for the first time down at Moab. It worked excellently. I had my Garmin eTrex as a backup but only turned it on once and never used it to navigate. I had loaded all my Moab tracks and oddly I had cell service everywhere I went with one exception which I didn't take any chances. I downloaded the offline map for the White Rim Trail though you don't really need a map as there ain't too many places to turn off or get lost. Just wanted to see if the off-line maps would work ok. They did.

I don't have a mount yet but I kept it in the clear top pouch on my tank bag so I could glance at it when I needed too. I was worried about it getting hot so I kept the upper part of the pouch unzipped for iPhone ventilation. I am worried about keeping the phone dust free as I now can see that would be an issue.

One negative but I planned for it by carrying a charging cord, Gaia does use up the battery quite quickly. Plugging it in while riding down the trail charged it up nicely. I would buy a larger screened out of service phone for this if I figure out how to load the maps since it wouldn't be hooked up to the internet.

I like my little Garmin but I have to preload everything. You can improvise with a phone. Plus my iPhone screen was a little larger than the Garmin so that was a plus as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts