TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking off the fender extension and taillight and installing a "bobber" style LED light/license plate holder up under the fender like I did on my '96. I'm going through a 2nd childhood and have been a little obsessed with wheelies the last few years. This mod saves the fender plastic from being rip off if I get a little too far back on the rear wheel. I also decided to add a grab rail which will also protect the rear plastic if I "loop out". Made it from 5/8" steel round stock. Started out with 2, 6" long pieces, turned down to .460 for 1-1/2" to insert into frame. Ground them straight across after inserting, then welded end piece on.

DSCN8698.JPG

DSCN8697.JPG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like you did a good job. However, I would consider the possibility that if you do a wheelie and drag that new extension hard it would serve as a extended lever and bend the tail of your frame farther forward. This wouldn’t be good. As a handle it shouldn’t put too much stress on the frame.
Just something to consider, I’d hate for something more damaging to occur then a scraped fender.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
I created similar very helpful grab bar from a simple 2 foot long piece of 7/16ths round stock vise bent into a shallow square-ish 170 degree "U" and then driven into the sub-frame as the OP has done.
No worries about transmitting damage to the frame proper in a shunt. The sub-frame mounting tabs will fail well before that happens. Those thin sheet metal grade frame-to-subframe tabs are the sacrificial weak link designed to save the frame's integrity.
A grab bar is a very handy item for lifting, dragging and towing. I've always added one to my bikes.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got the taillight installed and bike reassembled. If I happen to loop it out, it should protect the taillight and 1 less thing to rip off with the fender extension gone. All changes are easily reversible. Also added a "lunch box" retention bar on my homemade rack. I won't go into the details of why I added that.:rolleyes:

1.JPG

light.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts