TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went camping with TW and dogs in a very nice glaciated belt of the Sierras and did a little night riding of trackless granite shelves. Incrediable experience.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did about 130 miles of back country exploring from 4000' to 8800' elevations around Stanislaus and Mokalume Rivers. Some killer slickrock jeep trails but also a lot of very smooth roads and trails. uploadfromtaptalk1410630379360.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630414125.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630449749.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630478616.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630502000.jpg

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Padellin would love some of these lakes. One has 20 to 70 islands depending on water level, some with passages to remote arms of lake through flooded fractures only a kayak wide. We were going to get married on one of these islands until calmer heads prevailed. I wanted guests to rent canoes not tuxedoes uploadfromtaptalk1410630807789.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630840095.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630901060.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630932186.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410630993416.jpg I found this lake at end of major dirt bike ride starting 40 miles north. So pretty I parked dirt bike for next decade and just kayaked here every chance I could get.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spicer New Meadows is a good fishing destination. Upper Mile or more of one arm is wilderness so no motors. Quite camping is easy on remote shores. I troll for pan sized Rainbow Trout.
uploadfromtaptalk1410656816680.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410656816680.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410656867176.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410656889370.jpg

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also made it to Highland Lakes. Elev 8600 ft. at end of smooth 5 mile dirt road. Edge of wilderness again at upper lake.. uploadfromtaptalk1410657190472.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657210114.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657224328.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657251924.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657289814.jpg

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also accidentally found myself on Reba Ridge overlooking Bear Valley, Mokolumne and Stanislaus headwaters, and my camp thousands of feet below.
uploadfromtaptalk1410657766745.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410657857075.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657906343.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410657968065.jpg
Someone left these colorful pinwheels spinning in the breeze under a bush. I like to think it was either two happy kids or a pair of lovers young at heart who left them.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The actual Slickrock Trail
famous on Utube is indeed Rubiconesque in places like The Ladder, etc, but I found the TW only needing a 8" wide path for two wheels straight could traverse in under 20 seconds what takes four wheel rock crawlers 4 to 7 minutes to frame twist their way through. Betty Boop did overheat, blubber, stall and refuse to restart 2.5 miles in at top of a nasty sluice box. It gave me many a minute of contemplation trying to figure out what I would tell Littletommy if I had to walk out with a dead battery because my new kickstarter is sitting happily on garage workbench back home. But she restarted. This trail does feature three of the nicest creek crossings imaginable, one immediately after the gnarliest challenge.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The undersides of the bike do get a little beat up on my trails but I did find some really smooth riding
uploadfromtaptalk1410659502543.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410659567215.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts
Reading Freds latest adventures and suddenly found my name in there...ha ha Fred.

I just have to say, Fred, thank you so much for sharing all these great places and pics of places you go. Its just stunning some of the places you go and what you have right there in your back yard. Fred, I don't think I could do some of those rides even when I was a youngster decades ago. When I watch your videos and look at the pics, I dream of those days when I might have been able to do that and imagine doing it with you now. Gee I wish I could. Again, the vid's and pic's are the best bro! And I'm still loving that orange bike!

*o yeah, and don't think for a minute I've forgotten about that kicker. We better get a report on its installation soon. :D

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Reading Freds latest adventures and suddenly found my name in there...ha ha Fred.

I just have to say, Fred, thank you so much for sharing all these great places and pics of places you go. Its just stunning some of the places you go and what you have right there in your back yard. Fred, I don't think I could do some of those rides even when I was a youngster decades ago. When I watch your videos and look at the pics, I dream of those days when I might have been able to do that and imagine doing it with you now. Gee I wish I could. Again, the vid's and pic's are the best bro! And I'm still loving that orange bike!

*o yeah, and don't think for a minute I've forgotten about that kicker. We better get a report on its installation soon. :D
I do not often do what I am getting ready to do but here goes. What littletommy just said is perfect and I have nothing to add. Fred and Admiral are my favorite posters here because they are always positive, entertaining, and uplifting. Not to mention fantastic pictures and videos. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to share their adventures!!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Add me to the list of Littletommy and Dryden-Tdub. I regret that the day is gone that I would take some of those trails on with gusto, but thanks to a lot of our members I get to live those scenes and places through their eyes, words and photos. Thanks again forum folks, and keep them coming.
Mel

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thank you folks. I did happen to find more than a tank-full of super smooth twisty scenic alpine highway and backroads just perfect for 35 to 45 mph TW cruising enjoyable by young and old alike. I kept thinking that I should have brought second Tahoe group ride here to HWY 4 between Bear Valley Ski Resort and Markleeville. I owe them the promised easy smooth ride and this would certainly do it! 35 miles of narrow perfectly paved lightly traveled blacktop over top of Ebbetts Pass, absolutely gorgeous, four drive by lakes,two rivers, many smooth dirt road detours to alpine meadows and high country lakes. So,so much nicer than Tahoe/Rubicon.
Adam-in-Nevada rode part of this with me on a giant loop from Carson Pass Hwy 89 through gnarly back country to Hermit Valley on HWY 4. We had exhuasted ourselves by then with 30+ miles of jeep roads past a couple of high summits, six lakes, alpine meadowy creek crossings and way too many boulders to really slow down and enjoy the paved road back. Too bad. Adam's steering head bearings were giving him grief by then and it was getting late so we just focused on finishing loop.
So California riders or anyone else, how about another group ride that really is smooth and scenic? I pictured a BananaChunky perfect Dial-a-jet ride starting on Stanislaus at Wolfsborrugh, elev ~4000 right next to Hell's Kitchen, climbing smooth gravel road to HWY 4 then on up to Ebbets Pass 8700 ft. Road to Highland Lakes and Pacific Valley detours are super smooth . Re-install those factory lean Calif. jets and you are good to go!

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I did happen to find more than a tank-full of super smooth twisty scenic alpine highway and backroads just perfect for 35 to 45 mph TW cruising enjoyable by young and old alike. I kept thinking that I should have brought second Tahoe group ride here to HWY 4 between Bear Valley Ski Resort and Markleeville. I owe them the promised easy smooth ride and this would certainly do it! 35 miles of narrow perfectly paved lightly traveled blacktop over top of Ebbetts Pass, absolutely gorgeous, four drive by lakes,two rivers, many smooth dirt road detours to alpine meadows and high country lakes. So,so much nicer than Tahoe/Rubicon.

So California riders or anyone else, how about another group ride that really is smooth and scenic? I pictured a BananaChunky perfect Dial-a-jet ride starting on Stanislaus at Wolfsborrugh, elev ~4000 right next to Hell's Kitchen, climbing smooth gravel road to HWY 4 then on up to Ebbets Pass 8700 ft. Road to Highland Lakes and Pacific Valley detours are super smooth . Re-install those factory lean Calif. jets and you are good to go!
This sounds great to me Fred!

I am booked up for the remaining weekends in September, but October is wide open for me. I'll toss out a suggestion for the weekend of October 11-12 to see if that works for you. If It does, let's get it on the calendar and start planning this ride!

Brian

1 - 20 of 48 Posts