1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nice bro.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
How would you feel if a bunch of sea mammals buzzed all over your ceiling with an unmuffled engine while you were trying to get some?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
How would you feel if a bunch of sea mammals buzzed all over your ceiling with an unmuffled engine while you were trying to get some?
Qwerty you are a genius, your comments cut straight to the heart of the experience. (not just this one... fully most that you see value in making)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Dry exhaust inboards are sometimes muffled. Wet exhaust inboards derive some muffling from the water dumped in the exhaust. Outboards and stern drives and many inboards are usually straight piped under water where the people in the boat can't hear the racket but the sea creatures can. Considering the importance of sound (actually variances of pressure) to the life activities of many sea creatures, the noise must be deafening to them, if their hearing is sensitive to similar frequencies to hours.

EDIT: I'll only participate in whale watching when humans, electric, or sail are used for power for these very reasons.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Dry exhaust inboards are sometimes muffled. Wet exhaust inboards derive some muffling from the water dumped in the exhaust. Outboards and stern drives and many inboards are usually straight piped under water where the people in the boat can't hear the racket but the sea creatures can. Considering the importance of sound (actually variances of pressure) to the life activities of many sea creatures, the noise must be deafening to them.
Dude... you are rapidly becoming my hero... no wonder you have 8,051 posts, you obviously have a lot to share.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am truly blessed to live in an area where there is such a diverse and abundant amount of sea life. Many of the whales and dolphins that we see find us more than we find them. They are extremely intelligent beings that can chose to come and go as they please. My Son is severely Autistic and his life revolves around being out on the boat and seeing whales and dolphins. I always think that there is a way that they know this. Recently I saw a whale breach from about a mile away, I drove to the area and turned the engine off, the whale came to us and stayed next to us for 2 1/2 hours. This past weekend I saw a whale and we stopped to look at it. A good friend of mine owns a whale watching boat and I called him to come over. My Son needed to go to the bathroom so I moved away from the whale watching boat. As I kept moving away the whale kept following us. I have been doing this for many years, if you think that they are not an extremely social animal that truly enjoys our company than you are extremely misinformed. I have years worth of pictures of whales breaching and showing off and swimming over to our boat to see us. There are many "environmentalists" that think that every animal on this planet is entitled to interact with any other animal as long as it's not a human, I call BULLSHIT!!!!! And I have years worth of pictures and video to prove it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I am truly blessed to live in an area where there is such a diverse and abundant amount of sea life.
+1...growing up being 2 blocks away from the water i can't imagine living any farther than 10 minutes from salt water...and being able to drive 3-4 hours to be in the mountains is another plus...my 2 favorite places so i have all my bases covered

1 - 17 of 17 Posts