·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
And this reminds me....

For anyone who loves a good adventure/thriller, the Hawke series by Ted Bell is beyond good. Ted Bell is probably one of the best writers of the genera today. By all means start with the first one, Hawke, since it develops the character so well.

Alex Hawke Series | Ted Bell Books

Very few authors keep me in keen anticipation of their next book like Ted Bell does.

His two young adult/children's books are every bit as awesome...maybe more so, so if you have kids, grandchildren or just know someone you want to encourage to read, and they gravitate to the adventurous soul, these are the perfect gift. "Nick of Time" and "Time Pirate". Fair warning, that kid will never be the same. :D

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Yep, Randy is good. He got a bit off track there for a bit. He's back. I fish off Matlacha Island and Randy lives on the connected Big Pine. (very small islands) I've seen him out and about. He was a fly fishing guide for years. He occasionally shows up at the restaurant he owns over on Sanibel, "Doc Ford's Rum Bar."

Actually though, Randy's best books were his early ones, the Dusky MacMorgan series, originally published under the pseudonym Randy Striker. They can now be found with his real name. Excellent. He recently said he used to make apology for those early books...but no longer does. They have quite a following.

His non-fiction books are good too. "Last Flight Out", "Sharks of Lake Nicaragua" and "An American Traveller".

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has my thread been officially highjacked? :(

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Only sorta. The boat reminded me of the one Lord Alexander Hawke lives on. But, yeah, it looks like it is heading that way....

For me threads are like conversations among friends, they tend to wander as they progress LT. I realize some people take offense to that, so I try to keep the wandering in the confines of those threads posted by people who fit that "among friends" category. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No prob.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Not hijacked LT, just different items to get the man who wants something different. Me, I'd take the boat. Books are good too:(

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me too for sure. I've highjacked a few threads myself. Not on purpose, it just happens. ;)

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Well, I think the Sea Slice is quite a bargain for the discerning gentleman in need of a high speed party boat with a generous sized helipad. 180K is just peanuts compared to 15 million taxpayer list price, especially if one could negotiate a better paint job.
Actually it might have profitable commercial applications if one could keep it running. It might make a good base of ops for Heli-ski tours in Southeast Alaska, special charters,etc.. Red Bull Challenge should buy it for some of their promotional wackiness.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ebbanflood might need it :)

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Too bad Mike, it would certainly have made you the talk of the marina.
. th-7.jpeg .. SEA-SLICE.jpg swath_sea_slice_adt_prototype_dry_dock.jpg
www.yachtboutique.com
Bentley Yachts is offering you a turn-key civilian luxury version, the 105 ft Vectra , for quite a bit more coinage. Beware though,chicks really dig those big forward thrusters.
" All staterooms (4 or 5) are located in the upper deck for magnificent high rise ocean views. The third deck features a helipad and giant alfresco space, with Jacuzzi, barbecue, sun pad, etc. Forward to the unobstructed glass wrapped full beam (55ft) main salon, there is an elevated dining room with a 180º ocean views and a private overhanging balcony for a breath-taking experience at any time!
."
Kinda sounds attractive, but at $8,000,000 I'll maybe stick to something more conventional. Maye this?
71102865084623ddf7b6804cae81b356.jpg

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TW2013, these boats don't plane. They are pure displacement hulls. However, since they have so little surface area at the waterline to make wave, it really doesn't take a lot to power them. Your typical limits on hull speed and length at the waterline simply don't apply to these designs. These boats will idle along at bikini spotting speed with very little power. The more power, the faster you go, just like any other displacement hull, but without the limitations of a huge bow wave to climb over. They work more like submarines, which will go a lot faster under water than at the surface due to not making wave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts