TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the trip I took this weekend,in the mountains,I went 80 miles on mostly flat gravel roads.Average speed was 35 MPH.I fueled up and it only took .96 gal=83 MPG.WOW.What are people getting in miles per stock 1.8 gal tank?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
On the trip I took this weekend,in the mountains,I went 80 miles on mostly flat gravel roads.Average speed was 35 MPH.I fueled up and it only took .96 gal=83 MPG.WOW.What are people getting in miles per stock 1.8 gal tank?

You are close to the max, which is around 90mpg. Wound out on the highway, into a headwind with 100 lbs. of gear on the rack, I'd be happy with 50!

I generally figure from 100 to 125 miles to a dry stock tank, 70 to 90 before hitting reserve. With stock gearing, 35 to 45 in 5th will produce the best mileage. Unfortunately, we don't have any flat terrain here in Hailey.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are close to the max, which is around 90mpg. Wound out on the highway, into a headwind with 100 lbs. of gear on the rack, I'd be happy with 50!

I generally figure from 100 to 125 miles to a dry stock tank, 70 to 90 before hitting reserve. With stock gearing, 35 to 45 in 5th will produce the best mileage. Unfortunately, we don't have any flat terrain here in Hailey.
I carried extra gas just in case,but I wanted to get a general number so I don't have to carry gas all the time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Assume about 90 miles to empty in the worst case mpg with a stock tank (this excludes mixture issues or leaks) with worst case being either crawling slow or 55+mph for extended time. If you don't wanna put down the money for the larger tank options, an MSR fuel bottle or two can go a long way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I routinely get 76 - 82 mpg. I weigh 180lbs carrying zero extra weight on mostly flat city streets with max speed of 45 mph. I generally get to reserve at between 105 - 108 miles. FYI: I have a 47T rear sprocket

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I routinely get 76 - 82 mpg. I weigh 180lbs carrying zero extra weight on mostly flat city streets with max speed of 45 mph. I generally get to reserve at between 105 - 108 miles. FYI: I have a 47T rear sprocket
X2 on everything you said............ Only I push 210lbs. OMM.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I do reserve at 65 or so. Of course I am not a flyweight either at 260. I too have the 47 tooth, about half my runs are about 40 and a stretch on the highway at 55-60 depending on wind.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The best i ever got was 92mpg with the 98. The 07 has hit 85mpg and as low as 49mpg on interstate 75 wfo from stop to stop with side bags and top bag loaded down. Usually average 67-75 but i likr to run her hard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My last tank full I got just under 89 mpg. I don't run her hard, and my max speed commuting to work is 45 mph. I will be filling up today, and I will report back with my results.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just realized all you guys with newer bikes have tripometers.

I was going to ask how in the world you remember when you fill up. I just find a gas station when I hit reserve and always forget to note the odometer reading.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just realized all you guys with newer bikes have tripometers.

I was going to ask how in the world you remember when you fill up. I just find a gas station when I hit reserve and always forget to note the odometer reading.
The trip meter is a godsend. I reset mine at each fillup. 65 mi and I am looking for a station. I know I can run it until reserve, but why take a chance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Took the new to me '04 out for a test drive after installing 5.10-18 Shinko Golden Boy and Kickstarter Kit from Bay Area Yamaha. Also changed oil to YamaLube full sythetic. Mixed riding conditions. Improved gravel, frontage road beside Interstate and two lane highways.

1st tank-82 mpg 2 lane and gravel.Speeds 40-50 mph

2nd tank- 90.6 mpg same as above

3rd tank 60.7 mpg mostly 2 lane 50-65. Hit reserve 74.4 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts