TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a great 80 mile trail ride today, through the Allegheny National Forest in PA. Found a nice un-posted power line to ride for a couple miles:

Then on our way home a limb was blown out of the tree tops and came crashing down just missing my cousin, bouncing off the pavement and hitting me in the head and left shoulder shattering my mirror. It pealed my left side back onto the rear fender but I was able to get the bike under control and come to a stop. I hit the limb at about 45, just missing the front of my bike and my chest, spinning it off to the side of the road:

If I had hit it with the bike or in the chest it would have put the bike down hard. I'm so glad I had my helmet on, my head was ringing for a couple hours afterwards. If I wouldn't have had my helmet on I think it would have killed me. I can't lift my left shoulder right now, but I'll live. Always wear your helmet, you never know when something will try to kill you!!!

All-in-all it was pretty lucky it didn't wreck me or destroy the bike.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow! That was a close one. I almost got hit in the head by a bird today, but that is nothing compared to what you got. Good riding!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
a widowmaker if i ever saw one.... it wasn't your time. ride on!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Wow, that is a big limb. Good to hear you'll be okay!

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its nice to ride up there.. just a fyi.. dont let the forestry service catch you on the power lines.... unless there is a road.. if there is no road and you are on the power lines you will be fined and they can impound your bike we have seen it happen before. there are plenty of legal roads to travel on up there being you have a plate.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsmrs_072843.pdf

and under regulations

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5052724.pdf

Yeah, we don't go on any posted or gated roads. We were following the road that was across the power lines. The only time we went off the road was for the picture. The forestry guys up here are a pain to deal with, everyone is a "terrorist". They close the Rocky Gap trails for the best riding season, I'll never understand why. It's open from Memorial day to Labor day. They claim it's because it's too wet, but they barely maintain the trails, the little they do they use sand...good job guys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
idk but the timberline is closed till after deer season. the trail opens back up 12-20-12 till 4-1-13 i posted a youtube video of one of our rides on that trail

·
Registered
202 Posts
Went on a great 80 mile trail ride today, through the Allegheny National Forest in PA. Found a nice un-posted power line to ride for a couple miles:

Then on our way home a limb was blown out of the tree tops and came crashing down just missing my cousin, bouncing off the pavement and hitting me in the head and left shoulder shattering my mirror. It pealed my left side back onto the rear fender but I was able to get the bike under control and come to a stop. I hit the limb at about 45, just missing the front of my bike and my chest, spinning it off to the side of the road:

If I had hit it with the bike or in the chest it would have put the bike down hard. I'm so glad I had my helmet on, my head was ringing for a couple hours afterwards. If I wouldn't have had my helmet on I think it would have killed me. I can't lift my left shoulder right now, but I'll live. Always wear your helmet, you never know when something will try to kill you!!!

All-in-all it was pretty lucky it didn't wreck me or destroy the bike.
thats one heck of a limb, looks like a cool trail though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Howdy Seth, so glad you survived and are OK.

The best advice you gave was alway wear a helmet. I went down in some mud this summer and hit my head hard enough to be dizzy when I got back up. Can't help wondering what if I didn't have my helmet on?

Stay safe,

Moose

·
Registered
187 Posts
ATGATT! Glad you are OK, looks like a good place to ride

z

1 - 20 of 20 Posts