TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been pretty much on the top of my automotive wish list since it was first introduced. I have been really hoping that it gets brought to the U.S. market and keeping my fingers crossed. The thing is jam-packed with FUNCTIONAL features (as opposed to most cars' BS "features" that I couldn't care less about), gets excellent fuel economy, is actually geared correctly for once (3,200 RPM at 65 mph), DOHC motor, offered in a manual trans version, solid front and rear axles, simple and light weight, and on and on...what an absolute gem, and it looks great, too! All this at a very attractive price point!

Note that the first few minutes of the video are spent doing a basic walk-around/short-drive style review, and the latter portions depict it in some decent off road stuff (I wouldn't say "hardcore" like the reviewer does, necessarily -- but definitely moderately challenging). I enjoyed all 45 minutes, even though I already knew a fair bit about the car beforehand.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Awww, cute. The 'Zuki Samurai lives again.

What was the GM version... the "Geo"?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes I have been drooling over the new Jimny for a year, but since Suzuki no longer sells cars in America I doubt we will ever see it here.

I believe GM never sold a rebadged Samaria, but they did rebadge/co-build the Suzuki Sidekick into the Geo Tracker, the Samaria's slightly bigger brother. And I think the first Gen was actually a great little SUV but I've never owned one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is the closet I could get to a new one.

397B59BB-4712-423A-9901-61A8288A5B8F.jpeg

FA8FC65B-199A-4516-A62D-046DAFE96C69.jpeg

·
Registered
156 Posts
I absolutely love its modernised Samurai looks!!!
Even the dashboard/meters remind the ones from Samurai!!!
I would have bought it if it did better at EuroNCAP crash test.
But the fuel consumption is horrible considering its low power engine(just like previous generation Jimnys).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gastone….what is that ??? Where did you get it ??? What does it weight ….. I have flat towed Jeeps behind my camper (3500 lbs) but that looks like a better choice....are you happy with it ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a Sammy hardtop from 86 to 93. Bought in Florida, took it to Connecticut, Hawaii, and Washington. One of the most fun and reliable vehicles I've ever had. Dual Mikuni side draft carbs, a hot ignition system, cammed, and a 4 in 1 header. That thing was a hoot. Sold it to some guy in Bremerton, who flat tows it behind his RV.

I would love a new Jimny.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gastone….what is that ??? Where did you get it ??? What does it weight ….. I have flat towed Jeeps behind my camper (3500 lbs) but that looks like a better choice....are you happy with it ?
It’s a 1990 Suzuki Samurai JL. I picked it up in December down in Oregon. I’m not sure what it weighs, but it’s pretty light. I spent the last three months going all through it. The wipers didn’t work along with the heater was all clogged up with debris so I had to pull the whole interior dash apart. I installed a new stereo and redid all the interior wiring while I had the dash apart. The running gear was all in great shape and the entire interior floorboards have been rhino lined. I’m 6’4 and 250 so I made some custom mounts and moved the seats back 3” which makes it much more comfortable.
So far I think it’s a hoot. It seems to flat tow great. I haven’t towed it very far yet since I just got through welding up the new tow bar and fabricating the attachment points to the front of the Samurai.

A0B1F8DD-9BB3-42CF-BE05-38E9DBC6E65E.jpeg

F783BC92-8A7B-4CF9-B3C2-236347748339.jpeg

70884344-0880-453D-ACC4-696FAFFC24EB.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gastone that Sammy looks great.
+1

Also, I can't help but be slightly annoyed every time I hear these reviewers say they wouldn't recommend the Jimny on the highway. Clearly, they've never ridden a TW et al on the highway for long periods, haha. But seriously, I don't forsee any issues at all sitting at 65 forever with the new Jimny. Obviously, time will tell if it holds up to the well-founded reputation, but I'd put money on its doing that perfectly well! Sure, a sixth gear would be nice, but I would bet it doesn't need one to accumulate 200k+ without any trouble.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I certainly get the feeling while I’m driving my Samurai that if I jumped on the brakes and turned the steering wheel I’d be rolling down the road like a ball. And I always keep an eye out for other cars the same as if I’m on a motorcycle. The little lift that it has adds to that unstable feeling I’m sure.
Other than that it drives fine and seems to have enough power for normal use. It’s certainly not an interstate tourmobile. It’s made for a certain purpose, and it does that fairly well.
I’m sure a new version would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately it would probably have 13 computers, 34 sensors, and 76 relays in the electrical system.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Here's a link to photos of my pretty much bone stock 1991 Samurai;
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMGt9euttrTSwq7kVdhCw2ZvYmyR_WLjtsNU-GA1TGCjqfFY2PuWAzApPqY-zDBQw/photo/AF1QipNd4y3ZliehqB_Pfxf8jXo0nIHd5TNJrowNuf99?key=ZUZzUktnYy01R2gwUlM1dC1EcEhwWEhjcTZ1SkJB

It's original paint and upholstery. The front push bar is stock, but the winch and tow bar are not. Added some gauges. The motor is original as well. I did a few things; plugs, wires, water pump, alternator, etc. but otherwise a stock motor. I did rebuild the tranny, but the transfer case is stock. Runs great, it's the 2nd year of EFI. I barely tap the ignition and it fires right up.

It's an almost daily driver. Fun to drive and I flat tow it behind my camper a lot. It weighs right at 2,000 pounds. I'll see if I can find more photos...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I definitely think there’s a market here but the “Ralph Nader “ mentality won’t let that happen due to its short wheel base and highway instability. Too bad a great dingy car for RVs.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Cool Sammy ski pro.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, that is very nice. I could see myself driving one of those. The round tire profile I would probably change, but the rest is great. It has a Michigan plate. So maybe one day they will come ... idk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
805 Posts
This is a video of my neighbor who talked me into getting a Zuke. He's 75 years old and love to wheel his Sammy on the Rubicon Trail. Here he is following 2 Jeeps. If you watch the whole video, you'll see how hard the Jeeps have to work to get up this section of trail. Then Wayne in his Zuke follows and makes it look like it's nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts