TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go members it’s back by popular demand.

Join us or live vicariously through this thread. We have the maps so we can ride the same course and finish the last 30 miles we missed last time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Join us or live vicariously through this thread. We have the maps so we can ride the same course and finish the last 30 miles we missed last time.

:( Up at Americade in Lake George that week/those days. :(

·
Registered
2,663 Posts

What!!?? You didn't finish the ride? You have brought shame on the TW community!:D

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
What!!?? You didn't finish the ride? You have brought shame on the TW community!:D
We left the last road section off... ;)

It was 4:40 PM and I had to get back to NJ.. (we have plenty of roads!)

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Who's going? I have vacation scheduled and if a few other issues work out, I'll be there.
So afar Rick(TopPred), Me and DRBob.. Hopefully Dave? Hopefully Mike?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another cool ride planned for you all on Saturday. If you think GR is fun wait until see what I have in store for you this time. You will need a TW to climb the mountain. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I have another cool ride planned for you all on Saturday. If you think GR is fun wait until see what I have in store for you this time. You will need a TW to climb the mountain. :D
Sounds like I need to bring the BW!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My 2017 trip to Green Ridge was a lot of fun...except for the camping part. Hadn't camped since a teenager. Back then, it was a tarp over a low branch and a sleeping bag on the ground, good to go. Figured with a tent and a 1 inch foam pad under the sleeping bag I would be living in luxury. A 55 year old body that hasn't camped in 40 years needs to be off the ground. Rick and Tom both offered me a cot, but being independent and stubborn, I kindly refuse, much to my regret. Heck, Tom was sleeping hanging from 2 trees, I can lay on the ground! After hearing of my dissatisfaction with my camping experience and of my thoughts of doing it again, my wife bought me a new cot from Cabelas. Here is a link to it. Had it set up in the kitchen and feels a whole lot better than laying on the ground. (I know Tom and Rick, you tried to tell me!) :D I'm really fortunate to have a wife (and riding buddies) that tolerate me!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2017 trip to Green Ridge was a lot of fun...except for the camping part. Hadn't camped since a teenager. Back then, it was a tarp over a low branch and a sleeping bag on the ground, good to go. Figured with a tent and a 1 inch foam pad under the sleeping bag I would be living in luxury. A 55 year old body that hasn't camped in 40 years needs to be off the ground. Rick and Tom both offered me a cot, but being independent and stubborn, I kindly refuse, much to my regret. Heck, Tom was sleeping hanging from 2 trees, I can lay on the ground! After hearing of my dissatisfaction with my camping experience and of my thoughts of doing it again, my wife bought me a new cot from Cabelas. Here is a link to it. Had it set up in the kitchen a feels a whole lot better than laying on the ground. (I know Tom and Rick, you tried to tell me!) :D I'm really fortunate to have a wife (and riding buddies) that tolerate me!
That’s a serious cot at 6.5 feet long... you sure it’s going to fit in your tent. ;).

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tent camping is trial and error and believe me I’ve prefected it over my lifetime of tent camping. I start with my checklist that I developed over the years.

Two tips

1 Use seam sealer on any new or used tent and Starbrite waterproofing when your tent fabric fails to shed water.

2 Don’t use a waterproof tarp under your tent. I have found that it traps water between the tent floor and the tarp causing an uncomfortable experience. I use AstroTurf which is porous and allows tent floor protection and a softer floor. I also like to have three or four feet of AstroTurf sticking out in front of the tent door so I can clean my feet before entering my tent.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta have a cot. Lying on the ground and I don't care how nice the inflatable pad it... just doesn't make it from being able to sleep is sit on something. Makes it more civilized and the way they make these things nowadays, they collapse and store so small a cot is a must-have.
I've added a Cabelas sleep roll to mine and I swear it as comfortable if not more so than sleeping in my bed at home.

So much easier to dress, put on boots, lay your stuff on, Easy to deploy.
IMG_0084.JPG

Unfortunately the proposed dates for GreenRidge II do not work for me. It's the exact same dates as Americade up in Lake George, NY and an annual get-together for me and a bunch of other neer-do-wells. Too bad too because I already have an additional two converts to small displacement dual-sporting (2018 xt250 & 2007 xt225) that want to go but also will be at Americade with their road bikes. I think two more will have either TW's or XT's within the month. Not sure what inspired them, HaHa.

If you guys are willing to change the dates let me see what will work for this NY-NJ crew. It's a six hour ride for us so we really have to have all days clear for such a journey.

Here's some information on Americade BTW: https://www.americade.com

And here's a picture of Lake George from the Sagamore Hotel. We don't stay here (too $$$) but we always include it in a stop for a couple of their Bloody Mary's. Incredible riding country and beautiful scenery.
IMG_4053.JPG

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, ya gotta have a cot. Lying on the ground and I don't care how nice the inflatable pad it... just doesn't make it from being able to sleep is sit on something. Makes it more civilized and the way they make these things nowadays, they collapse and store so small a cot is a must-have.
I've added a Cabelas sleep roll to mine and I swear it as comfortable if not more so than sleeping in my bed at home.

So much easier to dress, put on boots, lay your stuff on, Easy to deploy.
View attachment 176522

Unfortunately the proposed dates for GreenRidge II do not work for me. It's the exact same dates as Americade up in Lake George, NY and an annual get-together for me and a bunch of other neer-do-wells. Too bad too because I already have an additional two converts to small displacement dual-sporting (2018 xt250 & 2007 xt225) that want to go but also will be at Americade with their road bikes. I think two more will have either TW's or XT's within the month. Not sure what inspired them, HaHa.

If you guys are willing to change the dates let me see what will work for this NY-NJ crew. It's a six hour ride for us so we really have to have all days clear for such a journey.

Here's some information on Americade BTW: https://www.americade.com

And here's a picture of Lake George from the Sagamore Hotel. We don't stay here (too $$$) but we always include it in a stop for a couple of their Bloody Mary's. Incredible riding country and beautiful scenery.
View attachment 176514
I had originally planned to ride with JJ in NJ because my wife is going to Ocean City with her sisters. JJ said they closed all the good trails, hence GR. There are a lot of weekends left this year. Pick a date and we will see if it works.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If the dates don't work out, I'm OK with changing it. My boss is usually pretty good about vacation time, but I do know that July is booked up. His boss gives him a rough time if he gives more than 10% of his employees vacation at one time.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
That's how tall I am....on the weight chart!:D
You should really try a hammock! Way more comfy than any cot and I have tried them all!

Tom

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I can see it now. 2 am, biological emergency, and can't get out of there fast enough!
Quicker than fumbling with a tent door zipper! You don't even HAVE to leave the cover of your rain fly if it's raining outside! Lighter, faster, more comfortable and cooler sleeping during the summer months. Just saying.

Tom

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had originally planned to ride with JJ in NJ because my wife is going to Ocean City with her sisters. JJ said they closed all the good trails, hence GR. There are a lot of weekends left this year. Pick a date and we will see if it works.
Ahh, you were going to come up here and he told you they closed a bunch of roads. We rode in the Pines for 6-7 hours. Whatever they closed it certainly didn't effect what else is open. I'm more than slightly sore especially in the arms than I was during the GreenRidge and it rained worse the last 3-4 days. Mud vs. Sand. Video coming. We'll find another date.
We just like coming down there. New for us Yankees.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts