TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new TW rider. Love it but can’t wait to ride dirt roads outside of SE PA. Not much here.

Grips
The stock grips are not comfortable for those with arthritis in the hands. Tried grip puppies. The material is comfortable but they are too fat for my fingers. What have you used that is similar to the grip puppies with a smaller diameter?

Seat Cover
My wife and I have started taking short rides together and we have to stop very often because the seat (or lack of) bothers her. I’m looking for something that she can put over small part of the seat to make it more comfortable? Sheepskin?

I’m learning a bunch on the forum. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you wear gloves, the grips make no difference. That's been my experience. I like that you tried Grip Puppies and confirmed they are too fat. I find that if you don't Death-grip the bars all the time, your hands won't cramp. I'm an anxious person, and I clench the bars too hard too often. Many of us use the $20 Coleman Mad Dog seat pad. I believe that "you get used to it" is a reality for your rear hurting. I store a $5 Walmart Ozark Trails seat pad on the bike, just in case the butt hurt becomes unbearable. It works very well, as long as you remember not to stand up / remember that it's not strapped down. It's also great for breaks. You can sit comfortably on rocks or pine needles. At $5, why not?

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
774 Posts
I use ProTaper Pillow Top grips, widely available for around ~$10. Comfy, but some aggressive, daily riders say they wear out too fast. That’s not me, so they get two thumbs up here.

Several other good, affordable aftermarket grip sets - others will chime in, or if you search the forum, there’s plenty of input.

Seat options range from pricey, but most effective (Seat Concepts kit), to the Coleman pad, to sheepskin, to temp foam Pads… Some even buy & cut silicone gel sheets, carve out voids in the OE foam to insert & re-install the OE seat cover.

(Search YouTube - pretty involved, req’s an artful handyman & patience, but can yield good results)

Gotta say though, if your plan is to two-up, is there any money better spent than that which keeps wifey’s butt comfy, keeps more smiles per miles & her wanting you to stay in the hobby?

Food for thought!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use ProTaper Pillow Top grips, widely available for around ~$10. Comfy, but some aggressive, daily riders say they wear out too fast. That’s not me, so they get two thumbs up here.

Several other good, affordable aftermarket grip sets - others will chime in, or if you search the forum, there’s plenty of input.

Seat options range from pricey, but most effective (Seat Concepts kit), to the Coleman pad, to sheepskin, to temp foam Pads… Some even buy & cut silicone gel sheets, carve out voids in the OE foam to insert & re-install the OE seat cover.

(Search YouTube - pretty involved, req’s an artful handyman & patience, but can yield good results)

Gotta say though, if your plan is to two-up, is there any money better spent than that which keeps wifey’s butt comfy, keeps more smiles per miles & her wanting you to stay in the hobby?

Food for thought!
I also have Seat Concepts Kit and the ProTaper Pillow Grips and well worth the bucks..jusayun..also wear palm padded gloves

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The Coleman Mad Dog pad is the best seat pad in the world. Nobody should use any other seat pad than the Coleman Mad Dog seat pad. Everyone should use the Mad Dog seat pad. I bought mine from a member here that was never used. He only charged me shipping. I will always thank him for that when given the chance. If you buy a pad second hand always ask the prior owner if he ever rode without pants on just to be safe.

With the grips just wear gloves be done with it.

There is no good way to ride 2 up on a TW. The rear pegs act as good tie down points.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Nice padded bike shorts can help a lot. If don't like the compression type can always wear the looser style mountain bike type padded shorts. Either style worn under riding pants of course..... 😁

When on a looong ride I'll wear'em, then with my cheap gel seat pad....I'm good for 12+ hour / 250+ mile rides.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
774 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nicely done! Did you use the razor knife in the pics, or any other tools to shave out the OE padding? Looks good.

Used the adjustable razor knife set at the thickness of the gel pad. The foam was easy to cut into the little squares and just put them loose. Used 80 grit paper to smooth out the little lumps in the foam.

The seat feels much better now, no complaints.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Good and bad out of this. I have the pro tapers ready to install. For the 2up I will be trying the mad dog and a sheepskin. She doesn’t think it will help and my expectation is that it won’t help if she doesn’t think it will help. We ride for 20 min take a break and ride for 20.

Good news is that she now is on board with a road bike for 2up. I see the hornet 919 in my future. I’ve always been enamored with them

·
Registered
87 Posts
Order a set of grip covers from Blamazon for $9.95!
I have 2 sets and they are just as good as GripPuppies!

Reactions: Snow Fox
1 - 18 of 18 Posts