TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
66249c09237d9e336f398da95a412645.jpg This is a continuation of the Carson Pass Camp-N-Ride for those who don’t wish to view 180+ posts of anticipation before the actual event.

Might make a good place for all to post their pictures, videos and opinions now that everything is over but washing off the mud.

I’ll give a simple story outline and others can hang any details off it they like.
I went on Thusday to set up camp and rode `~15 scouting miles.
Firday early arrivals rode ~ 30 miles scouting the roughest part of a planned loop.
Saturday 11 of us rode 60 odd miles of the first loop with some added detours to lakes and peaks on the inland side of the Sierras, nice mix of challenging rocky roads, smooth graded dirt and pavement.
Sunday we did ~ 115 miles of mostly narrow twisty pavement on the Pacific side descending from high ridges to the American River at Strawberry.
Monday we all took off but I just had to do one more ride even though we woke up to 20 degree weather at dawn.

P.S. -Canon shoots explosives to bring down avalanches in a controlled fashion on Carson Summit as seen from gun position on shore of Red Lake.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was sunny and nice every day until late Sunday when at Woods Lake a cold front caught up with us dropping temps from 60s to 40s in minutes. We rushed back over the summit to camp but dropping a thousand feet or so did nothing to warm up the ride. A nice campfire and Dan and Sue’s BBQ warmed things up nicely.:p
Late Friday we returned from Crater Lake also late but things were much warmer.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I have a few more:

How about some aspens? We saw more than a few. You know how when you do something receptively you can go to sleep still experiencing it? Saturday night I had trouble falling asleep do to tight aspen tunnels of endless left and right turns I had to keep leaning into.:p

Entertainment was provided by our charming hostess Sue, here doing the blessing of the cammo pants dance.

Fortunately we had evan to help keep things under control.

A calm backwater bay at Woods Lake, while sheltered, is still getting very chilly from the arriving cold front. Woods Lake was just too pretty to not share as our last stop together. Next stop was a warm campfire and Dan’s grilled pork chops back at camp.

From the bridge over the Silver Fork of the American River we could see large numbers of rainbow trout holding in the granite lined pools below. As the two little boys fishing below us said “There’s hundreds of them!” Like us they were having a very good day.;)

Mud Lake where heroic TW riders saved Mrs.Admiral from the snake.

But wait, there’s more to come!

·
Registered
666 Posts
image.jpeg Great/fantastic ride experience, loved almost every moment of it. Fred didn't lose a single rider, I mean he didn't ditch us this time. Haha. It hurt me to watch him walk with his bad hip but, he could sure ride like the wind! Speaking of hips, check out Mhomadness' most awesome ride badge "Hip to Ride". Great job with the badges Thank You. Sorry you couldn't attend. Mike!!!
image.jpeg

We checked out the recommended camping location on google earth and agreed a mile or so down a dirt road was no big deal. Wrong! This must be the last year they call it a road. We parked the truck and trailer and unloaded one of the bikes and proceeded to find the camp on two wheels. This creek bed, I'm sorry I meant road, had a speed limit of two miles an hour and sometimes slower. Border line 4X4 road. If this road was a warning we didn't take heed. Fred's choice of camp sites was spectacular. Very beautiful.

The high sierras is truly a work of natures art, awe inspiring to say the least. It's also rough as hell. It was our under standing that this was going to be an easy ride. We didn't read the fine print evidently which said maybe after the first hill climb. Haha Sue fell twice on this hill climb but, she got back on and finished to summit. This may have taken us out of our comfort zone but, that's what it takes to become a better rider. There is no better audience to push your limits then riding with the group! Good stuff.

As hard as we tried to feed everyone we did somethings right and somethings wrong. Mel sure made it seem easy from previous group rides! This group is more interested in riding and telling tall tales then eating. I will confess while changing small butane tanks on one of two BBQs the thing flared up in my face. I won't have to trim my eyebrows or nose hairs for a while. Scared the heebie gee bees out of me. Ha. This was the first time I've had to use a fire extinguisher, they work. The lesson learned, don't have two gas sources within 10 feet from each other, or something like that. Ya'll getting peanut butter sandwiches next time. Ha.

Sue warned me to wear more then Levi's. I told her if Evan can ride in Levi's then so could I. I don't know about Evan but, I froze my ass off returning the second day of riding. The temperature in short order dropped to freezing, go figure. Sue purchased a winter motorcycle coat for me for the trip and I decided (wrong) that it was to warm to wear. They say there is some good in everything, while Sue was teasing me about how warm and toasty she was the power in our headphones went dead. Took care of that problem, now back to freezing my ass off!

Saw some deer hunters and some deer hunters heard us. We stopped miles in on a rough road and took a break/rest stop/lunch. Upon our departure this hunter in full camouflage confronts the group in order to run us off in no uncertain terms. I told him we're in the process of leaving what's the point? As I rode off I thought I heard him yelling something about a pink motorcycle scaring the deer away for three years or something. Then at another lake, we meet a wonderful guy who just wouldn't leave us alone. He was very familiar with the local and was very interesting and fun. You just never know what will happen next on these rides, thats for sure!

image.jpeg .
Evan

image.jpeg
Mountain Redbelly

image.jpeg
Rider21

image.jpeg
Mrs. Admiral

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fantastic photo of Evan, our Designated Outlaw Biker! No Parking indeed!
Actually this was at the closed for the season campground at Woods Lake so I dont think anyone was offended.
image.jpeg
Great photos of some of the gang Dan, couldn’t think of a nicer group to ride with.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Should take a moment to thank:

FRED; for putting this all together - as usual!

SanDue (DAN and SUE); for all the meals they put on -- and the surprise gift grab box to boot!

and everyone for showing up and riding!

and though not personally present; there in spirit (or ride badges - mhomadness MIKE) (blueberry pies - Fred's better half MARISA)!

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hope everyone had a good time on all the varied terrain, I sure did.
Saturday morning after Sue’s breakfast burritos the gang scrambled our way over the Forestdale summit to Lost Lakes, Blue Lakes, Sunset Lakes, Wet Meadows, Burnside Lake and some 60 miles of secondary roads and mixed forest riding.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sunday we rode over Carson Pass for ~115 miles of scenic touring. A mix of cautious highway riding plus some dirt destinations and twisty narrow deserted blacktop filled our day. Really good times with some really good people. Weather was perfect until the very end.

All the TWs as well as Bananachunk’s Honda ran fine from 5,000 to 8,000 ft.
Nice reliable machines well suited to true Dual Sport exploring.
My Mr.Gizmo bike, as built by Gerry, ran very well after opening up his air box vents to compensate for slightly rich jetting at elevation.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Made it back home safe. Really had a good time. Arrived at camp Saturday around 4 (slept in and didn't leave woodland till about 1). Towing my R-pod trailer in on the dirt 4x4 1 mile road off of red lake exit was no easy task. Deep ruts, mud. Was somehow able to get trailer in and out without knocking off my low sewer hose holder and black water/gray water outlets. (I'm going to remove that ugly looking sewer hose holder and just store hose in plastic bag. I rarely have to use hose cuz have one back at shop along with sewer drain). Also plan to put 4-6 inch risers on axle to raise up camper abit. Fun Tw ride until we were really freezing our asses off at last lake we looked at. It was a really pretty lake but the cold forced us back to camp. Visited some really pretty lakes and Mud lake was fun until hunter decided to confront us when we were getting ready to leave. We were only there about 15 minutes and I guess he thought we invaded his space. Wanted to know where we were camping. after an awkward silence someone in our gang said "were not camping, were motorcycle riding....". Still can't understand why the jackhole felt he needed to confront us when we were leaving. Dan and Sue prepared some great meals which were much appreciated! Dan even had us surprised us with a special fireshow while cooking pork chops....We were all stunned until someone grabbed an extinguisher and put the 5 feet flames out. I was concerned about the two tw bikes that weren't too far away. I was the night owl of the group and stayed up late both nights I was there. I love a good campfire! Made sure to really drown the campfires. I tried to tip our cooks when they were driving off Monday but Sue tossed my money out the window and they sped off...LOL. Next time I'll hide it in their camper to be found when they get home. Looking forward to a fall ride with the gang soon. Maybe stoneyford??? Redding area???

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Mud lake was fun until hunter decided to confront us when we were getting ready to leave. We were only there about 15 minutes and I guess he thought we invaded his space. Wanted to know where we were camping. after an awkward silence someone in our gang said "were not camping, were motorcycle riding....". Still can't understand why the jackhole felt he needed to confront us when we were leaving.
I was very surprised the "Jackhole Hunter" even confronted us since he and his camp were clearly in the wrong as well.

We weren't in the right either as we passed the "no motorized past this sign", but when the Jackhole confronted us he pointed to the sign which his vehicles parked at his camp were clearly behind as well. He was a "Hippo Crit".

Kind of like telling everyone this is a no smoking area...as I'm taking a puff off one.

Other than the 2-minute Jackhole exchange, the rest of the weekend was great.

I'll post up some pictures and videos as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I had an absolutely amazing weekend! Thanks SO much to Fred for organizing/hosting, SanDue for keeping us all fat and happy, and everyone else for being there and being the usual awesome! And thanks out to everyone for letting me tag along without a TW. Fred definitely put the Honda (and myself) through its paces. It's the first time I've truly felt like I was riding off-road with the CBX, and not too badly to boot. The views and scenery were stunning, the weather was perfect, and the riding and people were the best! I love my badge, and I also "won" a rad buck knife from SanDue's peekaboo box. The stove fire was a little concerning, but Dan had it under control licketty-split. Definitely looking forward to future rides with everyone!

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That muddy CBX is likely the envy of many an adventure tourer trapped in their daily urban commute. That is some honorably earned mud.

George not only piloted that Honda everywhere the group went but he also rode all his camp gear from San Francisco and back. Some of the narrow twisties must have been made for that 500. Good job George.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bananabumps after the rough section.

Mud Lake Miscreant. Sorry others got yelled at for simply following me past the gentleman’s camp to the historical end of the road at lakes edge. If there is a new sign which all parties were on the wrong side of then I never saw it. I didn’t hear the exchange for I was simply enjoying the view but apparently I or others were also guilty of “dancing on the rocks”. Now I kind of like the sound of that...”dancing on the rocks” . It does sound like something I would do if only I didn’t have to get my hip replaced next month.:p Maybe my limp looked like a jig.

Tranquil Mud Lake before the "do as I say, not as I do" lecture.

View from clifftop above Silver Lake.

Silver Lake aspens.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Evan on the rocks. Could he be the one dancing?

Evan on even more rocks. Definitely has the dance moves down on the edge of a several hundred foot cliff.

Motly cruisers take a break lakeside at Silver Lake after a chilly ride over Carson Pass.

Very pleasant setting for a break.

More rest stops to visit a bit were the norm.

A wonderful couple if ever there was one, Mr. & Mrs Admiral share many an adventure together on their Cerros tired TWs. Here at Lower Lost Lake.

Here we are strung out along a Lost lakeshore featuring numerous gorgeous primative campsites a little too hard to reach for a Group Camp.

Doesn’t mean we couldn’t stop for a snack, here at Upper Lost Lake.

I swear we did get some riding in between sights. Here Bananchunks and Rider21 complete a climb after the rough stuff and earn a nice view as a reward.

I think Lori is pointing out to her husband something else that needs pink paint on Wilbur. Donzo patiently awaits chance to resume ride to Crater Lake

Good riding with good people.
Maybe we can even use the sign again.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Admiral's version of events as they unfolded.

Fred's Carson Pass 3 Day Adventure
Day 1

I was sort of apprehensive with the temperatures for an early October ride. Thought it might be a bit to warm to ride from the weather forecast I got from the NWS website. Let's just say it didn't get this warm eh!

A few of us arrived early enough on Friday for a quick warm-up ride. Once unloaded, Fred askes us if we wanted to join he and Donzo for a "3 mile ride" up the road for lunch. Ya sure you betcha. So off we went. Fred and Donzo.

Fred took us up one of his "easy trails" up and over Forestdale Summit

on over to Lost Lakes.

I know we're not the first ones to find Lost Lakes but what I want to know since we found them again are they the Un-Lost Lakes?

I think Donzo's hand is always in the "Cocktail or Beer holding" position when not giving some throttle to the TW.

Fred (and I continue to name him so I can blame him if needed) then took us on over to Crater Lake. You can see how "easy" this road was. It was so easy it was like riding on pavement...not.

Twuthfully, the ride up the "easy road" was well worth it.

to be continued-Day 2

1 - 20 of 73 Posts