TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took out the battery and started the tw with a jump and used a multimeter to check the voltage At the battery cables... It is putting out between 7 - 8 volts!

So what now? Replace the generator? All of it? parts of it? Whole thing is like $500 from bikebandit. That is a third of the price of the whole bike!?! What have others done in this situation... Thoughts please...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would suspect a bad battery before replacing a bunch of expensive parts.

Charge the battery with a 1 to 2 amp charger. See if it will charge to ~13 volts.

Then take it to a local auto parts store and have them do a load test on it (Auto Zone tests batteries for free).

jb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... charged battery fully and got it to 12.7... good enough?

Tested stator and seems that omhs are high (26.7) but matching across all 3 wires so I assume it is fine. None of them are gounding out either. Seemed to have good voltage when running across all 3 wires as well.

Tested the rectifier and it seems the ground side is bust across one of the 3 diodes... so I'm thinking it is that. Positive side all 3 are fine.

Next question... is the bike really a five wire stator... 3 yellow/white 1 red and 1 black? I was looking at these Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier as a replacement... but not sure they would work. If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement rectifier?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts