TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Gunk on Chain

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Trail Woman 
#1 ·
So I just cleaned and lubed my chain yesterday afternoon after a day in the dirt and mud.

Today I am seeing this junk on my chain. I’ve only ridden to work and back. It rubs off. Assuming dust and dirt sticking to my lube? It’s pretty tacky stuff.

I’ve noticed this same stuff previously, but I guess never this soon after cleaning. I’m trying to be way more diligent than I previously have been with chain maintenance. Should I stop worrying or get some new lube?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What kind of lube? O-ring chain or normal? It looks a lot like rust, which doesn't make much sense so soon after......UNLESS the rust was already there inside a stock chain and the lube worked it loose, or you power-washed the chain. (Don't EVER do that!) Do yourself a favor and get a Z-ring chain if you don't already have one.

#6 ·
So it's similar to the mud color I was riding in, but not exactly. Also when I have previously noticed this same color, I hadn't ridden in that mud/spot. The stuff seems to rub off easily with my fingers—no scraping necessary. It's very greasy on my fingers when I do so. Tis odd. I've been pretty good about cleaning the chain after any dirty/muddy adventures, and even just through normal riding. I mean, at least once every couple of weeks I am cleaning and lubing the chain. The rear sprocket also has some dark junk building up since then as well. Maybe I put too much lube on to begin with, and it's causing a ton of build-up?

It's BelRay Chain Lube. I believe it's just for standard chains, but I don't remember seeing anything specifically listed on the bottle—I've had it for years though.

I don't power-wash it, just use the Jet/Shower settings on my standard hose. I guess it's possible the "jet" may be a little too much for the chain? Though I believe this was the first time I actually used the hose/jet setting directly on the chain and I had seen the stuff build up previously as well...

I'm thinking I may find some different lube, clean and start again. If it continues, I guess I'll upgrade the chain.

#13 ·
....I'm thinking I may find some different lube, clean and start again. If it continues, I guess I'll upgrade the chain.
I used BelRay for quite a while and it always made a mess of dried out gunk on chain and sprocket. This is what I switched to about 6 years ago and now no mess, no build up....well, just a little.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3G6FD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Kerosene and an old small paintbrush to clean the chain about every 3-400 miles. The Z-ring chain is one of the best upgrades....no stretch, no adjustments, 10,000 mile life or more.

#7 ·
Well, it “could be” that having introduced your stock chain to a world of water (which doesn’t take a lot of doing – streams, puddles, hose pipe etc), it’s now puking up the rust from inside the rollers, which combined with the ever present dust, (and the fresh lube), is now sticking to the outside and discolouring it

It might last another five yards, it might go on for thousands of miles – but I’d suggest a new “X” ring or “Z” ring chain would be a “wise investment” at this point

Say goodbye to that old chain, and with it, you say goodbye to constant adjustment, cleaning – the money saved on lube alone would pay for it in the long run. But please, say goodbye to hitting the chain with a hose first. Any chain relies on oil, all water does is complicate things – all you’re doing is filling the gaps in the OEM rollers with water

An X ring chain is designed to stop this from happening ……

#8 ·
Right on. I mean, I kind of figured that is where this was going. Thanks all for the POVs. Appreciate the time. I'll try and remember to update this post when I am officially new-chained :)

Reactions: Darth and Purple
#10 ·
Well, I've only had the bike since February. Do I really need new sprockets already as well? I mean, if I was planning on adjusting the teeth, it would make since to do it now, but if I don't want to spend the $$ ... wondering if it's necessary. I can't imagine they have that much wear on them yet?

#15 · (Edited)
I believe the belray you mentioned is a wax based lube and used on a wet chain would trap in the moisture resulting in rust.

I use offroad yamalube and in 5 years of riding just offroad I only replaced my OEM chain and sprockets last summer. And I ride rough terrain and wheelie which is especially hard on the drive train. I don't thoroughly clean often (occasional hose) but the lube seems to displace water/dirt and prevent rust, though it does get thrown off with the dirt and require a spray once or twice a week, especially after getting it wet. Varsol and a brush would be a better way to clean a chain which I don't do often because of the chemicals.

I also noticed after cleaning there appears to be some dirt build up around the front sprocket or the swing arm pad that gets back on the clean chain.

#16 ·
Just use an 80w90 oil for chain lubing.
It's cheap and also what DID recommends on every DID chain I have ever seen...
Just make sure to let the bike sit overnight for the excess oil to drip,otherwise you will lube yourself instead of the chain:)

#20 ·
Thanks all. I've got a DID X-Ring chain on it's way with a 15 front sproket. Going to adjust my gearing to be a little more road prone since I do travel on roads quite often, and from what I have seen, that doesn't effect the overall off-road ability in any noticeable way. It's like a 7.1% increase in speed and decrease in torque.

We'll see how it goes :)

Note: I am also going to route of the 80w90 oil for "lubing" the chain—though you don't necessarily need to lube x-ring chains like you would a standard chain. Anywho, thanks again for the advice. I'm sure I'll be updating the "what have you done with..." thread once I get it all installed.

#22 ·
I, too, am getting ready to install a DID X-ring along with new JT 14/47 sprockets as my stock chain is stretched pretty good at this point.

With respect to chain lube and finding one that doesn't attract dirt/dust, I've had great success with Motorex Off-Road Chain Lube which is X-ring (and O-ring) friendly: https://www.amazon.com/Motorex-Chai...ad+Chain+Lube&qid=1563994674&s=gateway&sr=8-1 Before picking up my TW in June, I rode MX exclusively for a couple of years and used the Motorex with great success in a dry, dusty and sandy environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.