TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....so I stopped in and took it for a ride. This is the motor that the TW needs. Not so much for the extra 25 CCs, but that sixth gear. It didn't seem to have much more get up and go for the extra displacement, but when you get up to 55 mph you have another gear to shift into that's like an overdrive. At 60 mph the motor is just purring, not screaming. Might have to think some on getting the tail shaft conversion for one.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I owned a 2007 xt225 and the first gear is a lot taller than the TW.
The 6 speed was nice, but when I geared it down so 1st was usable on the real tough trails, the bike was screaming in 6th at 60 mph.
A TW with an added 6th gear would be nice if the 1st gear is not changed, well they could make it a tad lower.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Really. So you don't get anything more for your trouble except for more time shifting? I wonder if you could swap out the first gear for one from a TW?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The TW is the first dualsport I have owned that has a usable 1st gear.
But I am use to trials bike where 1st is only used in the nasty sections or you screwed up.
The TW is similar in gearing to the 70's TY 250. First 4 gears were for the trail and fifth was for the road, 30 mph and up.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts