TW200 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Looks of good advice to lessen the sound perceived by the rider but we should pay attention to the original poster's comments: "I live in Montana and there’s lots to see if you’re quiet enough".
He is not going to get the elk and eagles to wear earplugs nor impress them with re-directed sound so that they do not run away when ever MT4ever rolls up. Aid in accomplishing the additional muffling seems to be the help requested . Thus the re-packing of OEM exhaust is very good advice.
In an attempt to lessen noise my Mr.Gizmo Buddy Bike's former owner welded a secondary muffler directly to the stock TW muffler. It helps, but not as much as expected. Perhaps it could be improved.
gizmo muffler.jpg

Sorry I could not find a link to an excellent commercial product which is a secondary muffler primarily of flexible silicone that suspends below OEM muffler. Simple thin wall silicone tubing does an amazing job of sound attenuation, it is common on many nitro-methane burning R/C cars to lessen the bark from expansion chambers.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Looks of good advice to lessen the sound perceived by the rider but we should pay attention to the original poster's comments: "I live in Montana and there’s lots to see if you’re quiet enough".
He is not going to get the elk and eagles to wear earplugs nor impress them with re-directed sound so that they do not run away when ever MT4ever rolls up. Aid in accomplishing the additional muffling seems to be the help requested . Thus the re-packing of OEM exhaust is very good advice.
In an attempt to lessen noise my Mr.Gizmo Buddy Bike's former owner welded a secondary muffler directly to the stock TW muffler. It helps, but not as much as expected. Perhaps it could be improved.
View attachment 205118

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Cars with cast iron headers are quieter than ones with the thin walled headers. Maybe a thick walled or double walled exhaust tube would quieten the tick of the tappets.

For me trying to be quiet to sneak up on animals never worked. I found out wear bright hunter orange, I think it confuses them or they can't see it. I have walked right up on deer with that but with camo deer jumped about 20 feet and took off. When I didn't care I drove right up on a 8 point buck with the Tdub. When I was hunting I would see smaller deer with smaller racks. Another time I was just busting through the woods one day toward a river and saw a 4' stump and jumped up on it. About 3 minutes later a doe walked right underneath me. She spotted me but I guess thought I was a funny looking tree. I guess they are smart enough to know if you are hunting and quiet they will hide. If you are loud and act like you ignore them they will not think you are a threat and do their own thing. That is my experience. We even had deer watching us cut down trees with a chainsaw.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I asked this same question the local old guy that owns the motorcycle shop here and he told me that when they would race 2 strokes originally through the mountains that they had to meet certain decibel levels. So he said that it seems weird but they took old tire tubes and hung at least 12" off the back of the muffler with a hose clamp. he said the longer the piece, the quieter it got.

Now, I never did try this but I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I remember long ago posts where when riders got the exhaust quieted down, the mechanical engine noises were then too much for them, and it was all for not. I've ridden up on all kinds of animals on my tdub. I think circumstance is more relevant than the noise.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Oh yea! I forgot about changing out the header pipe. I think I used a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel header. It's much thicker. Ohter than shaving maybe 1/2" off the end the muffler fits on, it's plug-n-play. It really quieted the bike down. Much more than the 45 bend copper fitting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
MT4ever: If you paint the copper fitting black and press fit it with a street end facing down the scavenging effect will make it impossible to keep the front end down. You will have front wheels poppin' and panties droppin'. This is the first mod I tell everyone to make. A 3/4 copper elbow with the street end facing down painted flat black is the best mod in the world. Everybody with a TW should put a 3/4 inch copper elbow with the street end facing down painted flat black on their TW. Nobody should put any other mod on their factory exhaust than a 3/4 copper elbow with the street end facing down painted flat black. It will not make the bike quieter as the bike has the threatening voice of Boy George, but it will be faster to the point you will barely be able to control it. You will look Michael J. Fox flying down that trail even with a 77 tooth sprocket. Once you make this mod you will never lose a race. You will be burning gas and slapping ass. When I was painting the copper elbow black I had to put on a larger speedo before the paint dried (and I don't mean speedometer.) I next found a 20 year girl on the back of the bike with low self esteem and daddy issues. I got on the bike and she put a radio over her shoulder playing The Man by the Killers. A few minutes into our ride we were being chased by a rival gang with an ax to grind with me over the way my last rumble with them went. At the last rumble it was 10 on 1 which was not a fair fight. They needed some more guys. This time they were out to even the score...15 on 1. To evade them, I drove up a ramp that just appeared in the middle of the trail and ended up jumping a school bus. All ended up well. I still think about her when the girl I am with now is yelling at me.

UPDATE: Subsequent to that happening I put a DG exhaust on. Boy George turned into Donnie Iris (For you children-play the You Tube of Ah! Leah!...the first primal scream in Rock and Roll). Sometime before I get banned from this site I will tell you what happened after I put the DG pipe on. I kept my factory exhaust as I did not want my press fitted elbow falling into the wrong hands.

MBW
🤣 “ the bike has the threatening voice of Boy George “🤣🤣🤣🤣 😱😱😱 hahaha like it

·
Registered
245 Posts
You could look into re-packing your 30 year old muffler, perhaps. I've pulled bits of the steel mesh out of the tail pipe from time to time on mine, but the screw holding the baffle is stripped-out something fierce and hunkered-down tight, leaving me to run it as-is, for now.
😯 is that not a hospital procedure 😯 “ Re- packing your 30 yr old muffler 😂 ( sorry , hahaha )

·
Registered
245 Posts
I remember long ago posts where when riders got the exhaust quieted down, the mechanical engine noises were then too much for them, and it was all for not. I've ridden up on all kinds of animals on my tdub. I think circumstance is more relevant than the noise.
😉 I would agree with that , animals tend to learn the noises , that do not harm them , I see farmers tending there animals in fields using quad bikes , and the animals definitely known the noise of a machine especially if it has feed strapped to it
I could understand if it was a 2- stroke with a race expansion chamber fitted to it ( yeah )

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh yea! I forgot about changing out the header pipe. I think I used a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel header. It's much thicker. Ohter than shaving maybe 1/2" off the end the muffler fits on, it's plug-n-play. It really quieted the bike down. Much more than the 45 bend copper fitting.
🤔 would wrapping system with that heat resistant cloth type binding do any good , to reduce noise ? (With the copper elbow on of course ???😃)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts