TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what grip size I need for the both grips (throttle & regular grip). I did a search and someone indicated they were different sizes but did not specify what exact size they are. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't know of any grips that are actually sized differently, but if they are, the bigger one goes on the throttle side of course. Just get ones for 7/8" bars.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Most grips are made for 7/8" bars. Thats what you need. The throttle side will have a larger interior diameter.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Those pro grips are the best i've found yet. And they last! I went through three sets of protapers until I spotted these.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If your bike is stock, you need grips for a motorcycle with 7/8-inch handlebars.

ATV grips are both the same size because they don't have a throttle tube. Motorcycle grips will have one grip hole slightly bigger than the other to fit over the throttle tube. Some big street bikes have 1-inch handlebars instead of 7/8-inch, and require bigger holes in the grips. Now, to really confuse matters, I run 7/8-inch throttle side grips on both sides because I've added shrink wrap to the left side to insulate the grip heater from the grip warmer. The throttle tube provides the insulation on the throttle side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks qwerty, I ordered the 7/8" grips!

If your bike is stock, you need grips for a motorcycle with 7/8-inch handlebars.

ATV grips are both the same size because they don't have a throttle tube. Motorcycle grips will have one grip hole slightly bigger than the other to fit over the throttle tube. Some big street bikes have 1-inch handlebars instead of 7/8-inch, and require bigger holes in the grips. Now, to really confuse matters, I run 7/8-inch throttle side grips on both sides because I've added shrink wrap to the left side to insulate the grip heater from the grip warmer. The throttle tube provides the insulation on the throttle side.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The Progrips that Rainman has linked to are longer than most other grips and are meant to be cut to length, so don't panic if they seem too long when you when you install them. They were meant to be universal and if you use the cut lines they'll fit almost any situation perfectly.

There are handydandy cut lines on most models of Progrips. So if you're running handguards cut the outboard ends off at the cut line. I usually use an Xacto knife. On the throttle side you'll find two "donuts" with cut lines on the inboard side of the grips. On most TW's you'll want to cut off the larger of the two donuts on the inboard side and the very end on the outboard side. If you're running handguards AND a throttle lock cut at the first safety wire groove, etc.

You'll want to get the length right, particularly on the throttle side. If you just "scrunch" them onto the throttle tube as-is your throttle will likely bind.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I used the whole grip and just cut off the end for my handguards. I have large hands and really like having the longer grips. Just slid the clutch and brake in a bit. I also added about 1/2" of an old throttle tube since the grips are longer than the throttle tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts