TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we all know our stock bars use 7/8" handguards, yeah? I'm not crazy? Because I picked up a set of handguards that are 7/8 and the bar clamp is perfect - in fact, the guards (Trackside to be exact) mounted without any real hassle in terms of fitting the bar clamps and moving controls. What I don't understand is the screw wedge that slips into the ends of the bars. They are nowhere close to large enough ....or can't be tightened enough - to make them grip the insides of the bars. I think I've arrived at a solution to make them work, but is this normal?

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
277 Posts
So, we all know our stock bars use 7/8" handguards, yeah? I'm not crazy? Because I picked up a set of handguards that are 7/8 and the bar clamp is perfect - in fact, the guards (Trackside to be exact) mounted without any real hassle in terms of fitting the bar clamps and moving controls. What I don't understand is the screw wedge that slips into the ends of the bars. They are nowhere close to large enough ....or can't be tightened enough - to make them grip the insides of the bars. I think I've arrived at a solution to make them work, but is this normal?
Yes. The OE bars, while 7/8” O.D., are thin-walled steel. The aftermarket 7/8” aluminum bars sold by most manufacturers are thick walled.

The result is, the I.D. on the OE bars is larger than the aftermarket bars.

Option: Heavy wrap of electrical tape, or sleeve the bar inserts with pieces of clear flexible PVC tubing sized & cut to fit (or combo of tubing & tape), that make up the difference in the I.D. gap & allow you to snug the inserts for a tight fit.

Reactions: SpeedyTide

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. The OE bars, while 7/8” O.D., are thin-walled steel. The aftermarket 7/8” aluminum bars sold by most manufacturers are thick walled.

The result is, the I.D. on the OE bars is larger than the aftermarket bars.

Option: Heavy wrap of electrical tape, or sleeve the bar inserts with pieces of clear flexible PVC tubing sized & cut to fit (or combo of tubing & tape), that make up the difference in the I.D. gap & allow you to snug the inserts for a tight fit.
That makes sense. For the record, I used something thicker and more stretchy than electrical tape - plumbers tape - to wrap the inserts, and that seemed to work well. Sounds like I'm on the right track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts