TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very strange idea while riding my Son on the TW today. My 20 year old Son is autistic. When he was younger he had a Honda Z50 with the training wheels that went across the bottom of the frame under the engine and had 2 flotation type tires. He was very good with it, he had good throttle control and enjoyed it very much. He also had a Honda atc 70. In the time that he was riding these I spent a great deal of time trying to teach him to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle but he is still unable to master that skill. When he grew out of those 2 I wanted to get him a quad but he did not want one. He likes to ride on the back of my bikes but since I got the TW he only wants to go on that one. Before that he liked riding on the back of my GS. I recently brought home a KTM 450 and he does not even want a ride on it, he prefers the TW. What I am considering doing is having a set of wheels similar to the Z50 but on a larger scale fabricated for the TW. He would only be riding in the sand by my house and since he won't change gears it would be at first gear speed until he learns to shift. Keep in mind that he drives my F-250 on the beach and is a good driver. I miss that huge grin he had while riding that Z50 and ATC70. I'm thinking about using my Roll EEz beach dolly wheels/tires and axles and will have to think about the geometry from the drop axle. I would appreciate any input and ideas.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
what a cool idea. A fellow here wanted to do a similar idea with a Goldwing as he was ageing and wanted the security. I will see if I can find the stuff he showed me.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
just did a quick net search... there is a fair bit of inspiration available. I searched "motorcycle outriggers" good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I'm thinking on it. I think you might be able to get by with full size pneumatic wheelbarrow tires, which would ease fabrication. I'm also thinking you might be able to bar mount them under the engine cradle and avoid additional engineering problems. I'll bounce it off the boys on shop night.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
looks like you are almost there! Will you give the outriggers any suspension/flex to accommodate uneven terrain?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I would try to get a stoutly mounted tube under the frame to act as a receiver. Then build your out-riggers to slide inside to be secured with high strength lynch pins. Pull two pins and you are close to stock again.

Damnit, Jim, If you were closer I would have the boys here, the plasma cutter and mig fired up and we would solve that problem yet tonight.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think so, the Wheel EEZ tires only have a few pounds in them and should flex a lot. You do have me thinking now...... I'm open to suggestions.
looks like you are almost there! Will you give the outriggers any suspension/flex to accommodate uneven terrain?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a very good idea. I am also thinking of the bolts through the skid plate into the frame, there are 4 of them. That is how the Z50 mounted.
And if I was closer to you, we would both be in a lot of trouble on a frequent basis!
I would try to get a stoutly mounted tube under the frame to act as a receiver. Then build your out-riggers to slide inside to be secured with high strength lynch pins. Pull two pins and you are close to stock again.

Damnit, Jim, If you were closer I would have the boys here, the plasma cutter and mig fired up and we would solve that problem yet tonight.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Your axle, or outrigger beam, could be fashioned from a longbow or other leaf spring-like flexible stock which is u-bolted to bike somehow, possibly to bottom of swing arm ahead of tire. Wheel EEZ then mount and rotate on steel stub axles affixed to bow ends.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to sound negative nancy ,but first gear would probably be extremely tough riding in the sand .Any chance he might enjoy a honda fat cat ?The fat cat has electric start ,atv tires ,a 200 cc auto clutch engine , and is super simple to operate .I happen to have one in my garage I intended on rebuilding this winter I could easily be persuaded to donate to a fantastic cause like this .I guess one of the first answers needed would be how long do you think it will take to teach him to shift a manual bike well enough to be used in the sand ?how much easier for him would it be to just have to move the shifter on an auto clutch bike ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Does he "drive" the TW with you on the back?
If not I'd start having him do that without the safety wheels. And see if he likes it. Then if he did Id do the wheels. Starting out on the back again.
My sister was considered retarded. She always wanted to do what we did. So she learned first on a snowmobile, and mini bike then 3 wheeler. Moped, 4 wheeler. She could ride and shift a cycle but preferred to only ride on back of them. Her 4 wheeler was her favorite, she bought it with her own money earned from her job.
I believe I've posted about teaching her.
When I got her a bike I added training wheels. She rode until the training wheels fell off. She'd notice the missing wheel and crash. Refuse to ride until I reinstalled. So I did, wiring them up, even with frame.
She rode with them until she learned to ride the mini bike. I then removed them and she told me if she crashed it was my fault.
She got a 26 inch bike right after that.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
A few of us around here do have handicaps, isn't that why we bought and love our TW's anyway? They are pretty user friendly.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
You are such good hearted people I hesitate to say this. But I will. It really isn't something that you can go at the same way you solve most problems. If you read what Jim said, he only likes the TW. There are different options available to him already. He is a special young man. He sees the world as you will never see it. I don't want to dissuade your good hearted efforts here, but I do want you to be mindful of the critical parts of the post that may have been overlooked. I have a special feeling for autistic people, reasons I don't feel compelled to explain, but trust me you have to adapt to their world view.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is an amazingly generous offer and I truly appreciate that, however it is this particular TW that he likes. I am not even sure if I got another TW that he would like that one. He really likes this one so I am going to try what I can to make this happen. The reason that I think this will work is that my TW is impossible to stall in 1st gear. If you let the clutch out slow it will go, if you let it out too fast it is still going to move without stalling. Right now my goal is him riding slowly in first gear. Maybe that goal will be exceeded, but I am also ready for the possibility that when I am done with this project he might look at it and want the wheels taken off of it. Maybe he just wants to be ridden on it and doesn't want to ride it, I won't know the answer to that until I have tried. Thank you again for that very generous offer.

Not to sound negative nancy ,but first gear would probably be extremely tough riding in the sand .Any chance he might enjoy a honda fat cat ?The fat cat has electric start ,atv tires ,a 200 cc auto clutch engine , and is super simple to operate .I happen to have one in my garage I intended on rebuilding this winter I could easily be persuaded to donate to a fantastic cause like this .I guess one of the first answers needed would be how long do you think it will take to teach him to shift a manual bike well enough to be used in the sand ?how much easier for him would it be to just have to move the shifter on an auto clutch bike ?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Immediately after the Hurricane, we had no cars and a house with the first floor destroyed. I went looking for a pickup truck so I could start working on the house. I brought my Son with me when I went to a dealer who sold old trucks that he got at the DOT auction. I was looking at a white Ford F-250 but my Son liked one that was DOT yellow. The salesman tried to talk me into the white truck, he said that when I was done fixing the house it will be very difficult to sell a yellow truck. I let my Son make the decision and we left with the yellow truck. He was thrilled, I told him it was his truck and he could not be happier. After the house was repaired I did some work on the truck to personalize it for him (and me). This is what it looks like now. I hope he is just as happy with the TW project.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Ebbanflood, you are a prince among men.
A low and slow tip-over on the TW might not be too injurious to your son if he is wearing enough protective gear ( boots, shin guards, etc). Gear your TW down even further perhaps. Listen to your son, he will tell you in his own way what pleases him. A tip over could be fun or scary without the Wheel Ezz, we can't predict the answer.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts