TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
handle bar guard problems (solved with pictures)

i bought some handle bar guard protectors (MSR) , the left side fits fine. but the right side dont fit it seems that the front brake lever is to long, we even tried to move the lever, kill switch down some so it would fit, but sill no luck. anyone else have this problem, how did you fix it? thanks in advance

fixed the problem

the knob had to be cut off, i cut mine with a sawzall but you could use a cut off wheel im sure. then i used a grinder and wire wheel to smooth the end.

now i have a question for those of you who know more about the front brakes then me. the hose that is attached to the master cylinder can that be loosened and adjusted easily or will i get air in the lines? i need i to be more up and down rather than the angle it is currently at because i have to rotate the guard upwards because if i do go down the brake lever is below the guard and could brake off, but i cant make no adjustments with the brake line in its current position. thanks in advance

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same problem with my cheap-o's off eBay. I ended up loosening the reservoir and handle assembly and moving it inwards about 1/4" to 1/2". Not much at all, but enough to clear it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem with my cheap-o's off eBay. I ended up loosening the reservoir and handle assembly and moving it inwards about 1/4" to 1/2". Not much at all, but enough to clear it.

yea i tried that, still didnt work.. i even got them from the local yamaha dealer

·
Registered
188 Posts
yea i tried that, still didnt work.. i even got them from the local yamaha dealer
Is it possible you have non-OEM levers on your bike?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added a few washers to open it a little more.

If yours has a metal bar going through it you might have to bend it to fit.

mine is all metal with plastic that screws on but i will have to give the washers a try ... thanks for your 2¢

·
Registered
976 Posts
My front brake lever didn't fit my Tusk D-flex guards either, but it was bent anyway so I took a hacksaw to it and turned it into a "custom" shorty lever. Clears with room to spare now!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just tured my entire lever assemblies down a bit so they dont hit the plastic on my moose racing guards

·
Registered
5,843 Posts

now i have a question for those of you who know more about the front brakes then me. the hose that is attached to the master cylinder can that be loosened and adjusted easily or will i get air in the lines? i need i to be more up and down rather than the angle it is currently at because i have to rotate the guard upwards because if i do go down the brake lever is below the guard and could brake off, but i cant make no adjustments with the brake line in its current position. thanks in advance
If it were me, I'd give it a try. Just barely crack the banjo bolt loose and then rotate the brake line clockwise (when viewed from the front of the bike) until it is in approximately a 5:00 to 5:30 o'clock position. Then re-tighten the banjo bolt and check for clearance and proper brake function.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm using the TCEpilot method also with moose racing guards. Levers are still protected and it provides better coverage for my hands (not finger tips.). Tom

·
Registered
566 Posts
My front brake lever didn't fit my Tusk D-flex guards either,...
Mine fit, but just barely. I remember fiddling with the angle to get a better fit, but that's all I remember doing to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any bike with a front disc brake I have ever had I have shortened the lever. All that I need to fully engage the front brake is two fingers. If I grab with the whole hand I tend to over brake and that can cause a loss of control.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mine fit, but just barely. I remember fiddling with the angle to get a better fit, but that's all I remember doing to it.
Oh, I did move the lever inboard just a bit.

"Any bike with a front disc brake I have ever had I have shortened the lever. All that I need to fully engage the front brake is two fingers. If I grab with the whole hand I tend to over brake and that can cause a loss of control.
During training I was told over and over and over and over to always brake with all four fingers because that's what you're going to do when you have that "Aw-crap-here-it-comes!" moment and adrenaline is dumped into your system; gross motor control vs fine motor control. I suppose if you have a shorty lever on everything you ride it's irrelevant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts