TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I rode my son's KLR 250 on an 80 mile forest road ride. The biggest difference that I noticed, besides no magic button, is the handle bars. They set higher and are without as much vibration as the TW. I am interested in hearing what others are using on your TW in the way of after market handle bars. Thanks

Joemama

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i've got the pro-taper hi-atv bars, i really like the higher bend. i used to have a problem with vibration, but now i don't notice it, not sure why.
that's a much taller bike compared to the tw, how's that work on your knees?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like riding it, don't like starting it. If it had estart I would lower it and ride it more. I really should sell it.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
..yes..

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
A couple inches. Just right, and no need for longer cables. If you like the way the stock bars feel, you can just go with 2 inch risers. (cheaper, accomplishing the same thing)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have 15mm Tusk risers on mine which are perfect for me. I've been looking at bar specs a LOT the passed week, as I plan to order new bars this week. My issue with the stock TW bars are the sweep/pullback bend. They hurt my wrists. I've always used Factory Suzuki/KTM bend on all my bikes. More straight, with less pullback or sweep to them. That's what I need. I'm torn between the Renthal and Protaper. The ATV bars are not good for me as they have way to much sweep. There are 5 different measurements on bars to figure about, which all effect each other. So it gets confusing if you need something specific like I do. I'm making a mockup set to try them before I order. It sucks that no one local has bars I can feel in my hands. I've had Renthal 7/8" aluminum bars in the passed, and gotta say, they are stronger than steel bars as far as bending when ya go down hard. Also have a nice flex to them. I would think Protapers are the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a set of 30mm risers and like the height , but would also like less sweep back on the grips, I'm guessing the factory bars are about 85deg. sweep ? Does anybody know for sure ? My quads always had totally straight bars and felt better on the worn ,cracked, patched up bones in my left wrist.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You mean 85mm back from straight? Not degrees. The bars would be like 12 to 20 degrees maybe less. I wish they measured in degrees.

Yeah, I have no idea what they are. You like the same as me then. It get's confusing cuz if you compare bars with a wider clamp area, the amount is different, so there is no way to compare the different bars, because the pivot point is different. So, the angle, again, can't be compared. I wish they gave you the amount in degrees of twist, not sweep. At least it would be consistant between bars. Rise is like Sweep, but from the down to up direction. That also makes a difference in the angle of your wrist. The only way do find what you need is to hold them and feel. Back in the day, we had every bend Renthal made in stock so customers could feel them. But since the internet, no one stocks anything anymore. So It's hit or miss, and just have to wing it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have 15mm Tusk risers on mine which are perfect for me. I've been looking at bar specs a LOT the passed week, as I plan to order new bars this week. My issue with the stock TW bars are the sweep/pullback bend. They hurt my wrists. I've always used Factory Suzuki/KTM bend on all my bikes. More straight, with less pullback or sweep to them. That's what I need. I'm torn between the Renthal and Protaper. The ATV bars are not good for me as they have way to much sweep. There are 5 different measurements on bars to figure about, which all effect each other. So it gets confusing if you need something specific like I do. I'm making a mockup set to try them before I order. It sucks that no one local has bars I can feel in my hands. I've had Renthal 7/8" aluminum bars in the passed, and gotta say, they are stronger than steel bars as far as bending when ya go down hard. Also have a nice flex to them. I would think Protapers are the same.
I totally get that Werloc, it's like trying to order clothes off the internet, it's almost impossible to get the right size without actually trying them on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah the internet is great , but really frustrating at times also, I'm seventy miles from anything like a city and it really made my blood boil when after driving all that way the kid at the counter said " Just look at the website" yeah that gives me an idea what I want...not. The more time I spend on Renthal or ProTaper websites the more confused I become, Think Ill just order the ProTaper linked above and see how it goes

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. Even if I choose 1 bend I like, like Factory Suzuki. Renthal and Protaper both claim to have it. Yet, their measurements aren't even close in comparison. So who's is correct? Not worried about how wide, I can cut to 29", or height, I can adjust with or without risers. But that damn wrist angle.... (Yup, broke'm both). I guess maybe order 4 bars, then "IF" I'm lucky, keep 1 and send 3 back? Shipping cost will double the price. That's why I've been putting this off. But now with riding season right around the corner, I want to get them now. 2 months will go by quick. I have my bars off and in my truck. So maybe I'll spend a few days tryin to find something. I have 11 shops within 30 minutes from me. I think I have a better chance on winning the Lotto.....:(

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Bob, I am really thinking outside the box on this but is there any way to load and transport bike sans handlebars in truck or trailer? Then drive to various vendors and ask to take candidate bars out to parking lot and your waiting naked lower clamps for a quick "hands on" evaluation?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Fred, I have the bars off the bike. I can take them anywere and walk in with my bars in my hand and compare. That is all I need to get what I want. But, the problem is, not many shops have bars in stock to look at. Out of those 11 shops near me, I already went to 4 of them with no luck. That's the problem. There are "SO" many different bends/styles of aftermarket mx or dirt bike bars, that no one stocks them due to fear of not selling cuz there aren't any that are more popular than the rest. Plus, now add the larger diameter size (1 1/8") to those. I get the same answer, I can order it for you, as they open a catalog to sizes I look at on my computer online. Same thing, except price. I can buy it cheaper online myself. And that is why no one keeps them in stock. Not an issue if your only looking to add height and not worried about sweep. Just buy taller bars, done.

Yeah Fred, good idea though. Thanks. Hopefully I'll find something local without gambling online....:)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am as frustrated as Werloc. There are so many different options out there but no way to try them out. The Rox risers may be my best option as I am after elevation.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Well, I am as frustrated as Werloc. There are so many different options out there but no way to try them out. The Rox risers may be my best option as I am after elevation.
Well, they worked for me from day one. Never had reason to change bars. I'm 6' even with 35" sleeves. Standing on the pegs is comfortable now, and since I pivoted them forward hills are much better. The only thing that gets tired is my butt and that will never change! :p

I didn't have to make any changes to cables except I think I re-routed the clutch to the outside of the forks....or the inside, can't remember which and I'm too lazy to walk through 3 feet of snow to the barn.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am as frustrated as many when trying to figure the configurations of the various models. I can't get to shops easily to compare, only do mental calculations on the specs., which depending on bracketing angle,etc. etc are numerous. My main issue is with handle vibration and so I am going to give the Pro Tapers(aluminum,supposedly helping) that littletommy suggested a shot. If they are a bit wider and higher that would suit, and from what I understand can be cut down length wise if necessary by marks. Just another part to try out. Hope it works for my purposes along with my new K&N Air Filter.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
They are popular around here. I like mine, they do help.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts