TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best handlebar - hand guards marriage? Leaning toward the Pro Taper atv high bars. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a pair of cheap Asian no-name brush guards through Amazon for $20. They fit fine, look great, and were easy to install. There are literally hundreds out there. Anything from plain brush guards like mine to others costing $125 or more with integrated turn indicators and mirrors.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I actually have two bikes one with OEM bars with 2 inch risers. The other I have Pro Taper Med bars. I installed Bark Busters on both and I like them. There many hand guards to choose from just depends on what you have in your budget. Pro Taper Med gives you exactly 1 3/4 inch rise.

Welcome from Bel Air MD

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I've got the pro-taper atv bars on my KLR along with a set of Tusk handguards. The handle bars were a snap to put on but he handguards took some bending in a vice to make them fit.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I had to cut off the Pro Taper bars to the first mark to allow the Hand Guard to fit properly. I also did want them a little shorter. The Sawall with a new blade works perfect along with a file to square up the cut.

·
Registered
862 Posts
many here have the Tusk D flex hand guards as I do. I bought some chinese knockoffs cheap and they worked....once - they protected my lever but bent - the Tusks are substantially heavier built but also cost more. I kept the stock bars and got Rox 2" risers - I'm 5'10" and happy with this set up - standing is comfortable on the trail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the Rox anti-vibe risers with the Pro taper Windham RM mid bars. Then slapped on some Tusk D-flex guards. They are beefy and go well with the bar set up. Money well spent IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
One would have to identify their ranking of various criteria to come up with the best marriage for each individual. Some are not happy unless they have what is seemingly the best available, a metric often assumed to equate to the most expensive option out there. Others aren't happy unless they have found the lowest price even if it might be an inferior Chinese clone of a Acerbis guard that may shatter in the first impact. Very subjective to define "best".
A candidate for mid-price compromising blend of quality, ease of installation and cost is the ProTaper ATV Hi Bar with Tusk D-flex handguards with either the standard, large, or no plastic brush guard over the metal framework. All is a compromise based on personal needs and preferences.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ended up getting the Barkbusters. Stock bars with Rox 2" risers. Very sturdy. Several different size plastics fit the Barkbusters. I intend to change them by season. Naked in the Summer. Jet in the Spring and Fall. Storm in the Winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts