TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I’ve noticed about “balance” specific to the TW. Over the years, I’ve had just about every bike (type) you could think of, and it’s become second nature on how to take a bend. After the first 30 years, its not something that we think about consciously, we just “do it” – even the big Guzzi’s fall into place – pure instinct

I have a relatively short inseam, 30 inches, but a longer spine, adapt and survive, and in extreme circumstances, I’ve never had any problems “scraping the pegs”. Used to have a Suzy GT550 triple, lay that thing over and the exhaust system would ground, lifting the rear wheel. The bike would “pivot” on the spot, rear wheel spinning madly, and “stamping” it back up resulted in some interesting moments. But hey, in my twenties, any situation you survived was a result. Been there, done that

But the TW is the only bike I’ve had that requires you to shift seat position in order to take a (sharp) bend. For the sake of my butt, I tend to sit towards the back of the seat. Well, they call it a seat, but it’s more like a “bench”. During the Mothership’s design process, once Mashimoto had finished with designing the braking systems, he handed it over to Mashibutt for the finishing touches. Mashibutt then passed it onto Mashibollocks, and thus the TW as we know it was born

However, I digress. Whilst the Orientals are well known for the ability to draw their testicles up into their body, it is not something I share, hence the “sitting back” towards the more padded parts, Mashibutt style. But on approaching a particularly noticeable bend, in order to overcome Mashimotos rather obvious designs, I find myself sacrificing the family jewels in order to get the thing to behave

Thus, the expression “rock and a hard place” takes on a whole new meaning. While I have no hesitation whatsoever towards the Japanese holding a grudge, I’m beginning to resent having to present my nuts to the intricate and delicate embrace of the front of the seat every time I want it to navigate a bend. I have no idea what sort of award Mashibollocks was in receipt of for his diligence in designing the front of the seat, but I can hear him grinning from here …..

·
Registered
203 Posts
What gullyjumper said, the tall seat solves all those problems for me. I found that the stock seat really only had one riding position, which is "in-the-pocket". While this is really the same position I ride in 99% of the time, on or off-road, the family jewels are allowed to breathe fresh air and flap in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
18,912 Posts
What gullyjumper said, the tall seat solves all those problems for me. I found that the stock seat really only had one riding position, which is "in-the-pocket". While this is really the same position I ride in 99% of the time, on or off-road, the family jewels are allowed to breathe fresh air and flap in the wind.
"Flap in the wind" :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
18,912 Posts
Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ive never ridden a vanvan but ive sat on one and that seat looks more comfortable than it is. Atleast it was when i sat on one in the showroom haha.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is my VanVan and yes the seat is perfect. TW200 and VanVan are two different, yet similar bikes. I like them both.

One thing for certain is that most old men think the TW200 is a dirt bike with lights. Almost every time I take the VanVan out I am accosted by some guy my age who wants to admire the restoration job I did on that old Suzuki. They cannot believe that it is a 2019.

Anyway, yes it is fitted with the perfect seat but there are other differences that you may or may not fully appreciate. For me. I have to have both.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bicycle shorts under your riding pants/jeans, keeps everything comfortably packaged.
Yep, you're right Dr. J! I do this on rides around the block of 200+ miles. :)

Does make a difference!!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree. I have a two recliners and a leather sofa in my living room that my lovely Wife bought online. They are high quality, expensive furniture that will last for many years. I hate the way they feel and I am forced to resort to bicycle shorts when I watch TV.

For the past 3-1/2 weeks I have been nursing a buncha busted ribs and have not been able to sleep in bed with my lovely Wife in her bed. She makes me sleep out in the living room in my uncomfortable recliner.

I am not getting much excercise, and the Brandy has enough calories that I find myself not able (with all those busted ribs) to pull on those bicycle shorts that make the recliner acceptable.

It's OK. I have a VanVan and can go out and relax on it most any time I need to.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I’m beginning to resent having to present my nuts to the intricate and delicate embrace of the front of the seat every time I want it to navigate a bend.
you might consider surgery.... at least then you would be able to comfortably get into the middle of the wheelbase to make the bike turn

Reactions: Purple

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wondered if it was me, or if everyone had to "assume the position" when cornering - it's not too bad in the cold,. but on a hot day you have to be careful .........

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel like im not balanced right if i sit towards the back so i always end up sitting in the pocket so to speak. Which is why my biggest complaint about TW is the dreadful seat.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just wondered if it was me, or if everyone had to "assume the position" when cornering - it's not too bad in the cold,. but on a hot day you have to be careful .........
on a more serious note.... I felt that the bike handled best when I was up against the tank( in the pocket). short wheelbase for me ment getting into the center of the wheelbase and front loading.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts