TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants to play I'd like to start a fitment chart and possibly add it the ATV tire sticky.

Here's the info required, based on my Bighorn2 as an example. All measurements are to be taken at the stock 22 psi to keep things consistent. Later on we'll combine them into an easy to read chart so folks will know what mods, if any are required (chain guard removal, tab removal, axle setback, extended swingarm, etc. to mount a particular tire, the mounted diameter will indicate the required gearing, seating pressures will indicate potential safety and mounting issues, etc. Incomplete submissions will not be added to the chart so make sure you're willing to commit to taking ALL the measurements as accurately as possible.

I'll include measurements of the stock knobbie later today as a basis for comparison.

I've found one of the best poorboy ways to accurately measure section width and rolling diameter is by using two framing or drywall squares held square with one another and used like calipers.

Tire description: Maxxis MU09 Bighorn2.0

Mfr's Size designation: 26X9R14

Actual mounted diameter, TW rim @ 22psi: 27"

Actual mounted cross section, TW rim @ 22 psi: 7 3/4"

Seating pressure: 70 psi (24 hours, 90F)

Weight: 21 lbs. 9.5 oz.

Chain clearance: 7/16" (o-ring chain)

Chain guard trimming: Yes

Chain guard removal: No

Chain guard tab removal: No

Minimum axle setback in stock swingarm: 6+ on snail adjusters.

Recomended rear sprocket: 55T

Extended swingarm: Recomended

I realize things like seating pressures, swingarm clearance and sprocket choices are subjective, but include your info regarding your particular tire choice and we'll include them in the "notes"" section for each tire.

If anyone can think of other parameters I've missed which will help in tire selection, feel free to post.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

Tire description: Maxxis MU07 Ceros

Mfr's Size designation: 26X9R14

Actual mounted diameter, TW rim @ 22psi: 26 5/8"

Actual mounted cross section, TW rim @ 22 psi: 7 15/16"

Seating pressure: 75-80 psi

Chain clearance: 1/2" (o-ring chain)

Chain guard trimming: No, I did bend the mounting tabs slightly.

Chain guard removal: No

Chain guard tab removal: No

Minimum axle setback in stock swingarm: It barely clears at 2 1/2. I'm currently at 7 1/2, with about 3/4" clearance at the front of the swingarm.

Extended swingarm: Recomended

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
For comparison.

Tire description: Bridgestone TW-34 (Stock tire)

Mfr's Size designation: 180/80-14

Actual mounted diameter, TW rim @ 22psi: 25 5/16"

Actual mounted cross section, TW rim @ 22 psi: 6 15/16"

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lizrd i wanted to get some info from you as i plan on putting this tire on and you have done this before. Also if and what chain/sprockets i should get to make it work. i wont be using it for much off road use. just want it to look mean. how would a tire like the efx im considering handle at 60+mphs?

or do you have any other ideas on a mean looking tire that will fit my stock setup now

my earlier post.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/2144-anyone-know-about-these-tires-or-have-any-advice/

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to try the EFX as well. Unfortunately the published tire sizing don't always represent the actual tire very well. For that reason I prefer to see the tire in the flesh before investing, and I don't have a local retailer for the tire. Since Cali doesn't allow street use of quads there's no reason to market the tire here. If you want to be the guinea pig this thread gives you some idea what has worked in terms of width.

We've discovered that for the most part they all fit with few clearance problems as long as you keep to the 9" widths. Actual diameter will determine final gearing and usually that's unknown until it's mounted on a rim.

I run a 14/55 with the 27" inflated Bighorn. You will have some performance losses on-road due to the weight of the tire. IIRC, on paper the required sprocket for that tire height was only a 52T or 53T, but the 55 helps make up for the power loss.

The other issue is bead seating pressure. If it's too high you risk destroying the integrity of the tire in the process of seating the bead. So far that's an unknown with the EFX as well. Some brands haven't seated without exploding and some practically fall onto the rim.

That's about all I can add based on my own experiences. That said, we're all waiting for you to boldly go where we're too cheap to go

Oh, handling will change according to the profile of the tire. The more squared off the resulting mounted curvature of the tire fasce is is the more of a tendency the tire will have to "climb"" its sidewalls. Rounder the better.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zackly. I'm still looking for something along the lines of my ill-fated truck tire experiment, minus the weight, squareness and mounting difficulties:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a Terracross for Christmas! (Thanks to Ronnydog and Jimbo for their part in the conspiracy).

Tire description: ITP Terracross R/T, Bi-directional ATV tire.

Mfr's size designation: 26x9R14

Actual mounted diameter, TW rim @ 22 PSI: 27 1/4"

Actual mounted section width, TW rim @ 22 PSI: 8 1/8"

Chain clearance: 3/8" (O-ring chain)

Chain guard removal required: No

Chain guard trimming required: Yes

Chain guard tab removal required: Yes

Seating pressure: 70 PSI, 48 hours, 50F-60F.

Minimum setback in swingarm: 7+

Extended swingarm recomended: Yes

Weight: 23 lbs. 14 oz. (2 pounds heavier than my Bighorn2)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock rear weighs about 15 1/2 lbs., for comparison. Tire weight is a significant factor with these tires as they do tend to rob a fair amount of power.

The ATV guys learned this long ago as they're dealing with tire weights, times 4.

That appears to be the reason why some of them come in two versions now. Bighorn2's are lighter than original Bighorns, etc.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In case you're reading this stuff an wondering why all these measurements matter, and why things like axle setback and "extended swingarm recomended" are included, here's why. First of all, note that your swingarm legs aren't symetrical. The left (chain) side is wider and has more tire clearance than the right.

This is a worn out Bighorn2 in a stock swingarm, pushed all the way forward in the adjusters. In reality it won't go all the way forward because it's too tall. As you can see the tire hits the swingarm. In order to prevent this and still have clearance all the way around you'd need to set the tire back to about #6 on the adjusters. HOWEVER, your chain may not be long enough for that. In order to correct that you'll have to lengthen the chain, which may require you to set the tire even further back depending on where the links fall. This doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for future chain adjustments. Needless to say that a top quality o-ring chain will all but eiminate the issue:

The other issue is gaining sufficient clearance for rocks and other debris to pass between the crotch of the swingarm and the face of the tread. The tire above's useful life was severely shortened when a rock got caught on the swingarm and ripped out chunks of the lugs. From that day forward it wore itself flat in the center. This actually happened in the first ten minutes after I mounted the tire, and it never happened again in over 3,000 miles, but be aware that it can happen. These tires ain't cheap, so give yourself plenty of setback.

Here's the same tire pushed all the way forward in a 2" stretched swingarm:

On the bike it sits at #4 on the adjusters, due to where the links fell when I lengthened the chain. Plenty of room for chain adjustments, large boulders and small children.

So basically a lot of these ATV tires will fit a stock swingarm as long as you give them enough setback. A shorter tire will give you less headache than a taller one, and a narrower one less than a wider one.

As you can see most of these limitations disappear with even a 1" swingarm stretch. Most people don't want to get that much munny and fabrication involved just to run a big tire, so you may want to stick with ones proven to fit in a stock swingarm and pay close attention to the input of those who've installed them.

With the setback I now have a 3" longer wheelbase. I suppose I could also run an even fatter and taller tire, but there's a limit to this.

The limit is tire WEIGHT. If you wonder why it matters, visualize this:

Put a 5 lb. weight on the end of a cord and swing it around your head for 60 seconds.

Then put a 10 lb. weight on the end of the cord and repeat.

Bet your arm is tired, no? Which one took more effort (horsepower) to turn?

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Tire description: Duro Power Grip.

Mfr's size designation: 26x8x14.

Actual mounted diameter: TW rim @ 18 PSI: 25 3/4".

Actual mounted section width: TW rim @ 18 PSI: 8".

Chain clearance: Approximately 1/2" with non O-ring chain.

Chain guard removal required: No.

Chain guard trimming required: No.

Chain guard tab removal required: Yes.

Seating pressure: Not sure - mounted by dealer, 3 days, daytime temperatures approximately 75F.

Setback in swingarm: Stock chain with 50 tooth rear sprocket - Snail adjuster at 4+1. Stock chain with 47 tooth rear sprocket - Snail adjuster at 7+1.

Recommended rear sprocket: 47-50 will work with stock chain length. Larger sprockets will require a longer chain.

Extended swingarm recommended: Optional.

Weight: Sorry, I didn't weigh it before mounting.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Brian.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts