TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you guys know about this vendor, but I haven't heard them mentioned here.
They build much of their stuff in Boise, ID.

https://www.happy-trail.com/

A nice little vid they made.

Lots of ADV & dual sport stuff.
Looks like they run a little pricey on a lot of things.
Just another place to spend our kid's inheritance!

I got some stuff from them when I was setting up my Kawasaki KLR650 for the TAT 10 years ago.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
I stopped into their storefront several years ago. Smallish walk-in area but the back warehouse area was bustling with mail orders. Shortly thereafter they closed the place but I think they remained mail order at the time. I haven't followed them in recent years and not sure if they set up a storefront again or not. Looks like the website mail order part you linked is still in business.

Most of the video show was Bogus Basin road (blacktop) which takes you to the local ski area. Then they rode Boise Ridge Rd. There is a turn off before the ski area which will take you on Boise Ridge Rd. in a southerly direction which it looks like where they were riding. There are some trails off of that which I've ridden in the past. Boise Ridge road also goes north past the ski area and is a fun old forest service road which many people ride for their "quick fix" to get out of the city (Boise). Hope they are still in business.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had their luggage on my VStrom when I had it and it was top notch. VERY well built and took a hell of a beating from me without ever showing it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I had some of their products when I owned a KLR. They were big with the KLR crowd. Good stuff.
I don't know what they make specifically only for TW's.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I got their side racks and panniers here recently. It all seems sturdy and well-built. Hopefully the bike doesn't mind the extra weight, but it does use six different mounting points. I just worry about the subframe a bit.
52695001_10161571660980061_729286842725171200_n.jpg
52935500_10161571660900061_1957217743543468032_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Happytrails has been around for a while, with some on this forum suggesting their rear rack systems were “less prone to failure” than even “Cycleracks”

Then they (Happytrails) went quiet for a while – good to see they have recovered

On the product front, not sure I want to pay over 600 bucks for aluminium panniers that make the bike three feet wide, but they’re just stocking them, not making them …….

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Happytrails has been around for a while, with some on this forum suggesting their rear rack systems were “less prone to failure” than even “Cycleracks”

Then they (Happytrails) went quiet for a while – good to see they have recovered

On the product front, not sure I want to pay over 600 bucks for aluminium panniers that make the bike three feet wide, but they’re just stocking them, not making them …….
The price is indeed incredibly high, but I did get them on sale for a little over $500 to my door. I do think they manufacture it all in-house though. The hard boxes are really only gonna get used on the street and mild stuff. I like that I can adapt any soft bags without too much fuss, and how that weight is distributed a bit differently than the other options on the market. Still, I understand TW200 people not being too frivolous; we make KLR guys look like BMW owners sometimes. I've just wanted this outfit since my first Tdub 10 years ago. Maybe I'll hate them but insofar they've been handy.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have Happy Trail bars and racks on my KLR. It's excellent product and very stout. All made in their own shop, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I stopped by there in 2006 while I was traveling. Seemed like the were selling bikes also. I really liked the top loaders that I had on my 650 Dakar a few years later

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live 5 minutes from that store. I used to own a KLR 650, and purchased an Otterbox mounting bracket which replaced the California emissions canister. That was back in 2004.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have found the HT rear TW200 rack system to be the strongest and best design by far

Not only well built parts but they mount using multiple contact points to spread out the load

My only wish is that they would offer the top rack with the rear bar laid flat instead of 90 degrees upward much like the cycleracks with the rear "loop" laid down

1 - 16 of 16 Posts