TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase my TW last week, it's a 2015 I purchased with 78 miles. The bike is fantastic, I wouldn't want any other bikes honestly; however, sometimes when I'm coming to a stop and I'm holding the clutch in to go down to first it wants to stay in neutral while I'm at a very slow roll or complete stop, after a few good pushes the neutral light goes off and I'm good to go. With that being said I get a little nervous with impatient cars behind me, perhaps I'm just not pushing it in hard enough or the bike needs broken in, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Featherthe clutch as you press down. This will rotate the tranny parts so that an engagment slot in the gear cluster lines up and the dogs engage.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Just stomp on the gear change lever some more, that's what I do. I've always thought the TW'S shifting was pretty weaksauce [probably cheap shift forks or drum or something?]. It doesn't have that positive feel when you shift like every other bike I've ridden. Sometimes I wonder 'did it shift? because i can't tell. well the rpm are lower so it must have shifted'. When I come to a stop, I always push down on the shifter a few extra times just in case I'm not in first. [I also spam the turn signal cancel button constantly and try to shift into sixth in the TW and seventh in the CBR nearly every time-you never know when one might have grown over night].

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
This is pretty common behavior for my TW's. I try to down shift through the gears when coming to a stop so I don't have to try and do it while the bike is at a standstill. It may also help if you rock the bike back and forth slightly while pressing the gearshift down into first. It is also a good idea to keep the bike in gear while you are at a stoplight so you can make a quick getaway if needed.

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
Your experiencing something normal for the TW, but...

TWilight mentions what you should look for, especially if something is wrong.

TW-Brian mentions what very nearly all of us experience on the TW.

Also, if you're gonna park your TW and are trying to get it into neutral before shutting it off and are having difficulty, hit the kill switch just above the starter switch. With the engine off you will most likely find it will now easily shift into neutral.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into all of this after I ride home tonight. I've never had many issues with my Yamaha stuff but felt I needed to make sure this was the nature of the beast. I'll check my clutch release return spring and oil tonight. I believe I have some Yamalube at the house if it needs replenishing.

As funny as this sounds I'd take this little bike over an R1 lol, there's something special about being able to actually afford your dream bike, TDubin is the only way!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
This is pretty common behavior for my TW's. I try to down shift through the gears when coming to a stop so I don't have to try and do it while the bike is at a standstill. It may also help if you rock the bike back and forth slightly while pressing the gearshift down into first. It is also a good idea to keep the bike in gear while you are at a stoplight so you can make a quick getaway if needed.
^^^this^^^

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Someone on here has a picture of THAT.

IF indeed the clutch arm return spring is OUT of place, it takes about 13 seconds, and costs ZERO money to remedy this....so NO worries.
Your wish is my command oh Great One

P8180093.jpg

(just follow the clutch cable down to the engine, and make sure it looks like this - some of them come out of the factory without the spring sitting in that notch) ............

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
AND, when you get 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it, switch to full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w40. Both clutching and shifting action will benefit.

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
The gear box on the TW is pretty “basic” — but on my 5k ’98 I have no problem finding neutral (or any other gear for that matter). OK, so the TW box is notchy, but from my experience (of many) other bikes, it’s not the worst I’ve encountered — try Italians — Moto Guzzi (long) — Benelli (short).

The TW box can’t be judged in so few miles, and no amount of “just stamp on it” is going to fix it (quite the opposite) - but given a few miles — a couple of oil changes - and a bit of getting to know each other, you and the bike will be fine.

If the problem persists, then start to look elsewhere — but what you describe is perfectly “normal” for such a “primitive” engine — these things where designed nearly 30 years ago, when riders understood their machines, and compensated for their failings.

Failing that — the repeated application of a four pound lump hammer will undoubtedly suffice, but as methamphetasaur will soon discover, this will ultimately result in a gear box with “severely reduced flight potential”

Until then - if it ‘aint fixed — don’t force it ………

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Failing that — the repeated application of a four pound lump hammer will undoubtedly suffice, but as methamphetasaur will soon discover, this will ultimately result in a gear box with “severely reduced flight potential”
I like to speak in hyperbole, so maybe it can sound a bit overzealous at times. What I meant was 'press downward with a normal amount of pressure for shifting' a few times. I haven't ridden a vast array of motorcycles like some of you may have, but on all other bikes I have ridden, when you shift down to first [from neutral or second] the shifter will no longer move downward from the 'at rest' position. On the TW you can press the shifter down all day in first gear [even though that won't accomplish anything], so I usually press downward with a normal shifting pressure probably six to eight times usually when coming to a stop even though it has only five gears and four times would suffice. I often times find myself shifting into first [from first] while sitting at the stoplight too. And then sometimes before taking off at the green light as well. Maybe it's just a nervous habit thing, I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Chill - I was taking the piss - rolling the bike forwards will usually make sure of it - but I'm the same - keep stamping it down to make sure (as though taking off in second was impossible) ......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts