TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No!
I will stick with Yamaha for my next adventure bike - T7.
Do your remember when HD tried to enter the dirt bike market?

·
Registered
695 Posts
No!
I will stick with Yamaha for my next adventure bike - T7.
Do your remember when HD tried to enter the dirt bike market?
Nailed it. If I had the time and money for a true adventure bike, it would be the T7. The lighter the better for me.
That being said, from what I have read about the Pan America, it is better than expected and had some innovative features.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw a whole set of them in Tennessee last week at Loretta Lynn's ranch during the Motorcycle and Music Revival. One could test ride them. The line was too long for me to spend waiting. But I asked a couple of guys just finishing up and they said they liked it. One had no adventure experience and was a typical HD guy. But the other had been racing on the flat track earlier in the day. So he clearly was experienced in dirt and said it was a "pretty good bike."

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would never pay that kind of money for any motorcycle, but it does get good reviews.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have followed this bike pretty closely and I personally think Harley has built a winner. They really did their homework with this bike and release a bike that is really compelling offering in the segment it is in. If someone is in the market for a BMW GS, KTM 129o, Africa Twin AS, etc this bike is right there with them in features and price. Two things that really set it apart, hydraulic valves so no adjustments and the adaptive ride height which is a game changer.

For me, if i were in the market i would probably buy one. Over the years lots of people have asked me why i don't ride a Harley or other American bike and i have long said when they come out with an ADV bike that is not heave and makes decent power i would buy one. Well, someone HD finally done it.... If i had not just bought a new Africa Twin last year i would be looking at one now. Next time i will be looking at one of these for sure.

One thing for sure they are going to sell a lot of these. I know quite a few HD guys that are buying them as well as a few guys that are selling their BMW's and getting them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not a big fan of any heavyweight motorcycles, myself, but I do hope this goes well for HD. It seems as if they missed the big adventure bike heydays of the last ten years though. Everyone seems to be downsizing, well at least the ones that get off of asphalt.

I'm a big T7 fan. Hope Honda follows suit with a 650 TransAlp or "properly sized" Africa Twin.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I rode one
I'm a small framed guy..
I felt it was big and heavy..
It rode ok..
Personally I would rather have a KLR 650..
Yes the KLR is a small adventure bike..
It can't be a dual sport.
Heck it's got rubber foot pegs....
I have never ridden a T7
Just my opinion
I love Harleys but I'm not crazy about any of the new ones.
For $20,000 you could build one hell of a custom Sportster
adventure bike !

mike from NC

·
Registered
633 Posts
I wish I could disagree with this, I really do. It has the front end of an ice cream vendor's trike.
That's rather kind of you, considering how ugly it actually is.

But, I suppose like the Forrest Whitaker BMW GS headlights, we'll get used to them.

Reactions: Tenth Letter

·
Registered
66 Posts
A lot of that price tag is what makes me lose interest in other bikes like the new Africa Twin. (same can be said of the automotive world as a whole) - far too many electronic bells and whistles I probably won't use, but will cause me a headache that will have to be dealt with at the worst moment. You pay more for it up front, and you'll pay a lot more for it later when it fails IF you can get the part in a timely manner.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A lot of that price tag is what makes me lose interest in other bikes like the new Africa Twin. (same can be said of the automotive world as a whole) - far too many electronic bells and whistles I probably won't use, but will cause me a headache that will have to be dealt with at the worst moment. You pay more for it up front, and you'll pay a lot more for it later when it fails IF you can get the part in a timely manner.
Your sentiments are the same thing i heard from friends when i bought my Multistrada back in 2011. It was full of electronics and i was going to regret it and it was going to be nothing but headaches etc. In 9 years and over 50k miles i did not have one single problem with the electronics on that bike. Not the ride modes, not the suspension etc. Everything just worked and worked as it should and it was a briliant sport touring bike. I heard the same thing about the big 12" screen in my Ram truck, and guess what it just works. If the manufacturer does their homework and builds it properly that stuff should be a non issue and given the intended use of this bike which is ADV touring they cannot compete in this segment without it, the competition will eat their lunch.... The buyers of these big ADV bikes want these features and are more than willing to pay for them.

That said do i want all that on a bike that i am going to ride around the world? Heck no, I want something I can fix with vice grips and duct tape in the middle of nowhere so to me that would exclude any fuel injected bike and any bike with shaft drive. But the fact is not many of us ( myself included) will ever ride around the world and are mostly regional riders. That is the target market for this bike and its backed by the biggest dealer network in the USA for motorcycles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That said do i want all that on a bike that i am going to ride around the world? Heck no, I want something I can fix with vice grips and duct tape in the middle of nowhere so to me that would exclude any fuel injected bike and any bike with shaft drive. But the fact is not many of us ( myself included) will ever ride around the world and are mostly regional riders. That is the target market for this bike and its backed by the biggest dealer network in the USA for motorcycles.
Completely understand. I guess the way I should word it is, make the basic version as well and give the price tag to match and I'd be interested. There's a lot of us who have dealt with the headaches when even the body module on a vehicle is tied into the charging function of an engine and the nightmares that can follow. I don't need it, but I really have no choice in the matter at this point and it's frustrating. I need 2 or 4 wheels, the engine, the braking system and A/C is nice in an auto. Other than that I can upgrade individual things as I like. The $20,000 on this bike is heavily involved in all those bells and whistles. Just make one without it. I don't need to select a riding mode. I know how to use the throttle, clutch, and brakes myself. Give me a basic option and price tag to match for my skills and needs. To each his own, but for a lot of us going forward it seems the option to pay less for only what we want and need seems to be going away. I love tech. It's how I earn a living, but I know where I don't want it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts