TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of limited interest, I know. But, I've seen it pop up over the years repeatedly, Littell was gifted in his way. It's a good thing for young fathers to read, maybe because it is rather dated material.

It even has some funny lines. " I have three fears for the future of my son: that he will join the Army, enter the Church, or become horsey."

Enjoy it if you like this kind of thing, move on if you don't. Personally I enjoy it. Note, if you really enjoy it, it can be downloaded as a pdf.

What the Young Man Should Know | Harper's Magazine

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Partial quote taken from my personal list of "favorites".

"If you are sure you are right, do not let the voice of the world, or of friends, or of family swerve you for a moment from your purpose.” William George Jordan.

Tom

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Of limited interest, I know. But, I've seen it pop up over the years repeatedly, Littell was gifted in his way. It's a good thing for young fathers to read, maybe because it is rather dated material.

It even has some funny lines. " I have three fears for the future of my son: that he will join the Army, enter the Church, or become horsey."

Enjoy it if you like this kind of thing, move on if you don't. Personally I enjoy it. Note, if you really enjoy it, it can be downloaded as a pdf.

What the Young Man Should Know | Harper's Magazine
I took the time and read this article with interest. I book marked the link as well. I will have to read more full length passages from WGJ but this one had certain instances of hypocrisy that I had a hard time with. One example would be his distaste for hunting animals but his example of a young man being able to cook a steak was considered worldly? Perhaps the author thinks himself a bit more enlightened than most? Well written regardless and I will read more of his work.

Tom

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom, this is what I have carried with me from "Majesty of Calmness"

"The man who is calm has his course in life clearly marked on his chart. His hand is ever on the helm. Storm, fog, night, tempest, danger, hidden reefs,--he is ever prepared and ready for them. He is made calm and serene by the realization that in these crises of his voyage he needs a clear mind and a cool head; that he has naught to do but to do each day the best he can by the light he has; that he will never flinch nor falter for a moment; that, though he may have to tack and leave his course for a time, he will never drift, he will get back into the true channel, he will keep ever headed toward his harbor. When he will reach it, how he will reach it, matters not to him. He rests in calmness, knowing he has done his best. If his best seem to be overthrown or overruled, then he must still bow his head,--in calmness. To no man is permitted to know the future of his life, the finality. God commits to man ever only new beginnings, new wisdom, and new days to use the best of his knowledge."

I have that little bit laminated and carry it in my wallet...which happens to be a leather zippered Boy Scout National Jamboree wallet. :D Be prepared.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I carry this in the truck to deal with the frequent delays and down time I have to cope with. Far better than it's title would suggest. Chock full of good stories, expedition reports, useful skills and knowledge. Can get them used/new on Amazon for around a penny plus a few bucks shipping.

View attachment 13287

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Real men can change a dirty diaper without gagging.

Never argue with a man with dirty knees. He has either just finished prayers, or he is man enough to put himself in a position to see eye to eye with a child. Either way, he has garnered the heart of God.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, a real man can change a diaper without gagging. And he should on occasion do it too. But I always figured a bit of creative delay was OK, just to make sure nobody was going to step up to the plate before I had to put my masculinity on display. :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I think the individual wearing the dirty diaper just may have a difference of opinion on that delay;)

Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I just reread the Harper's Sounded familiar, until I realized I gave my sons an original edition of that issue as 12th birthday presents. Both boys, same magazine, as the elder passed away before the younger's 12th. Then I was told that the younger had been looking for the magazine since his older brother's passing. Seems the elder had been reading it a bit at the time to the younger, and was only through the second page. They had been taking on the challenges presented, one at a time, for almost a year, and only made it through two pages. Given four more years I expect they would have both attempted everything listed. And that, Purple Penguins, is why even to this day, over twenty years since the passing of the elder, all my children's age cohorts still call me "Pop". Leave a legacy. Turn off the TV, expect your children to address such challenges. Otherwise, you'll end up with nothing but another lame-brained liberal educated by twits, and your world will become exactly the nightmare you deserve.

EDIT: This site's spell check sucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts