TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to purchase a 2018 TW200 this year if possible.
So far my local dealer is saying he has none on order and will receive none.

I may have to go to a new dealer I just purchased the new Honda crf250l Rally from to get my new TW and that will be a shame.

So many dealers are suffering financially this year. Motorcycling just isn't what it used to be.

We need another "Why We Ride" movie to hit mainstream and get families into riding dirt and trails and then perhaps it will filter up into street.

If you've bought a new 2018 please let me know if it has any changes to it or is just "bold new graphics", which is what I assume and am happy with that.

Super Moderator
Millennials and Motorcycles just don't mix much. The older riders are dying off and the young adults would rather have their I pads... :rolleyes:

I may have to go to a new dealer I just purchased the new Honda crf250l Rally from to get my new TW and that will be a shame.

So many dealers are suffering financially this year. Motorcycling just isn't what it used to be.

We need another "Why We Ride" movie to hit mainstream and get families into riding dirt and trails and then perhaps it will filter up into street.

If you've bought a new 2018 please let me know if it has any changes to it or is just "bold new graphics", which is what I assume and am happy with that.

Registered
Millennials and Motorcycles just don't mix much. The older riders are dying off and the young adults would rather have their I pads... :rolleyes:
That's called the "Wimp Factor" of American Males...the 20 somethings and younger are learning that being gay, wanting to be gay, wanting a sex change, watching Chick Flicks, and worshipping Obama and Killary are the way to go...fast cars, motorcycles, fast and Hot Women, are something to avoid while living in mom's basement, watching Rachael Mad Cow, Ellen, and Dancing with the Stars, is where and what they should aspire to do and be....and make sure they hold up "Bruce" Jenner as a model and hero to the post Reagan Era American Male...:female:

Martha, pass me the Barf Bag please:icon_tongue:

Registered
Meanwhile back to the Subject at hand:

The 2018 are available right now at various dealers across Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana....

Go here to find one in your location or within a few hundred miles:

https://www.cycletrader.com/

Registered
They come 2 in a crate so find a friend that will buy the other one. Tell the dealer you will each pay $4k plus tax and title :evil5:

Registered
I think you are wrong Hoot. Motorcycle sales are tanking in the US and climbing everywhere else...something is going on over there and all the arguments I have read so far (interesting thread over at ADV at the moment) haven't convinced me it's a generational thing. Yes, millennial's tend to have different priorities but they are still buying bikes here and in Europe.

A lot of your dealers are closing and big distributors are in trouble (Motorcycle Superstore), we are not getting that here, not yet anyway. I'm reading some disturbing stuff on your auto industry too...new sales are slowing down and rumors there are issues within the car finance sector. Is it simply that bike finance is uncompetitve? Maybe the Millennial's are the smart ones and can actually see storms coming?
Not buying the Millennials are the smart ones...many are living in Mommy's Basement and sucking off the parents Obammy Care...I can't say that, because both of my sons, in their 30s are very successful....but then they had a great role model............................................................

Their Mom:sign10:

And those clowns on ADV that talk social issues and left wing political sh*t are not some of the brightest bulbs in the box....most are probably blaming Trump for the decline in Cycle Sales...;)

Registered
Have you figured what it costs for a rider under 25 to buy and insure a bike? If you are paying for school and or student loans and live somewhere u need a car, there is not a lot of cash left over, even living in Mom's basement.

Registered
Have you figured what it costs for a rider under 25 to buy and insure a bike? If you are paying for school and or student loans and live somewhere u need a car, there is not a lot of cash left over, even living in Mom's basement.
The are not any worse off that we were back in the 60s and 70s...inflation is down. While some kids take out way to much debt to get mostly worthless degrees, they still pay out several hundred bucks a month for "communication devices". The bottom line is Motor Cycles and Insurance for same are cheap compared to cars. But we were talking about reasons that the 20 and 30 somethings are not buying Bikes in large numbers...IMO things ebb and flow...much like there are no "Pony Cars" around these days, it appears, at least in American Society, the Motorcycle has taken a back seat as well...

I had a 250 Kawasaki Dual Sport, a 1972 Chevy Pick~Up, was paying a mortgage, and still managing to pull down a B+ {3.6} average at Ohio U, then Wright State...and did so without living in mom's basement or asking her for money....and if I recall, Jimmy F~ing Carter was in office and we were in a major recession....and I was not born with a Silver Spoon in my pie hole...but did have the GI Bill help me through out the college ride....as I bartended on the side and worked full time during the summer...

Amazing what one can do it they just put their minds and hands to work....

Registered
Hoot for President.....go Hoot go....
Never happen, I'm to brutally honest for the PC, Trans Gender, Diversity, Femi Nazi, and Limp Wristed Crowd....you can only imagine what the press would do with someone like me? Hell they think Trump is the Anti Christ and in reality he is as Liberal as most of them....

Read Only
That's called the "Wimp Factor" of American Males...the 20 somethings and younger are learning that being gay, wanting to be gay, wanting a sex change, watching Chick Flicks, and worshipping Obama and Killary are the way to go...fast cars, motorcycles, fast and Hot Women, are something to avoid while living in mom's basement, watching Rachael Mad Cow, Ellen, and Dancing with the Stars, is where and what they should aspire to do and be....and make sure they hold up "Bruce" Jenner as a model and hero to the post Reagan Era American Male...:female:

Martha, pass me the Barf Bag please:icon_tongue:
The millenials are ~25-45 years old now. I think we're into bikes plenty. It's the newer generation Hoot should be rambling at.

Edit: Google says they're called Generation Z or iGeneration. It can't really make up it's mind as to which is correct. I think Generation Snowflake would be apt.

Registered
The are not any worse off that we were back in the 60s and 70s...inflation is down. While some kids take out way to much debt to get mostly worthless degrees, they still pay out several hundred bucks a month for "communication devices". The bottom line is Motor Cycles and Insurance for same are cheap compared to cars. But we were talking about reasons that the 20 and 30 somethings are not buying Bikes in large numbers...IMO things ebb and flow...much like there are no "Pony Cars" around these days, it appears, at least in American Society, the Motorcycle has taken a back seat as well...

I had a 250 Kawasaki Dual Sport, a 1972 Chevy Pick~Up, was paying a mortgage, and still managing to pull down a B+ {3.6} average at Ohio U, then Wright State...and did so without living in mom's basement or asking her for money....and if I recall, Jimmy F~ing Carter was in office and we were in a major recession....and I was not born with a Silver Spoon in my pie hole...but did have the GI Bill help me through out the college ride....as I bartended on the side and worked full time during the summer...

Amazing what one can do it they just put their minds and hands to work....
Just wondering... have you looked at the math on cost then vs that same amount's purchasing power due to inflation?

What did you pay for your 250? your 1972 truck? What was your mortgage? What was the cost of tuition (though you did not shoulder it -- most did and do)?

For example, $20k in 1979 has the same purchasing power as $67,760.72 today.

It's not that my generation is generally lazy (at least in this regard), it's that most in my generation CANNOT afford things like previous generations. In the 1950's a man could graduate high school, get a job which supported a family, buy a house, and the wife could stay home with the kids. Those days are done.

Interested in your numbers from those days. I bet we would find that you had far more purchasing power than most do today.

Super Moderator
A lot of the problem was that (way back then) we had jobs to go to, and hand outs were less 鈥 not that we鈥檇 take them 鈥 we鈥檇 rather work for a living. I left school at 17, walked into a local employment agency, and was in a job earning two weeks later.

These days, you leave school, go to university, run up a debt you can鈥檛 clear, refuse to get a lower paid job because you鈥檙e 鈥渟pecial鈥, and look at everyone around you doing the same thing.

The truth is, that having a degree gets you shit these days, because educational standards are set much lower. Add to that a financial crisis, cost cutting measures by employers, automation etc, an already overcrowded job market and increased population, and you have a recipe for a generation of 鈥渁pathy鈥. No hope equals 鈥渄on鈥檛 even try鈥.

Back in my day, you鈥檇 get a kick up the arse and told to get on with it 鈥 but back then, you could 鈥..

And don鈥檛 for one minute think that the Hooter is some kind of hard arse sumabitch 鈥 he鈥檚 a softie underneath it all 鈥 but he comes from a generation that doesn鈥檛 believe in 鈥渟pecial treatment鈥 for anybody 鈥撯 it鈥檚 your life, now get on with it鈥. I can relate to that, just as I can relate to the fact that 鈥済etting on with it鈥 is much harder for the present generation than it was for ours 鈥 but sympathy don鈥檛 get it done 鈥 it comes from within.

There are exceptions to every 鈥渞ule鈥 of course 鈥 but by and large, you only get one hand of cards 鈥 how you play them is up to you 鈥︹..

Registered
I respectively disagree CS....when I got out of the Air Force, .I was making about $200 per week or a bit more at times. Managed to purchase a house for $18000 and mortgage of $180 per month. Paid cash for the Kaw, and bought the Chevy used, and paid about $35 a month for a 2 year loan, don't remember how much I put down...drank my beers, paid my utilities, living alone{till my future wife came along} and then off to college days at Wright State Branch via the G.I. Bill and a small Student Loan to get started...was then working as a Bar Tender/Manager/Bouncer for abut $150 a week...wife was an Insurance Secretary...and we survived.

I'm not one to harken back to the "Good Ol Days"...but nobody I ran with were pumping out bastard children while they sat on their asses and had some lazy freeloading boyfriend doing drugs and sitting on his lazy ass...it didn't work that way in 1975...you worked or you moved back in with Mom and Dad, and most parents back then would not put up with it...

Yea, I was lucky, my wife and I both used our college educations and majored in our future jobs...both sons are doing the same...one, along with his Lawyered wife owns Key Behavior Services in the Dayton area and got through college with grants and loans and is currently pretty damn successful...the older son lives in the Chicago Area and is a Actuary for a firm out of Japan, after graduation from Ohio State....

http://www.keyaba.com/

There are plenty of kids that work their asses off out there, but IMO{for the 2 cents it's worth} the working numbers are not enough to keep up with the sit on your ass and pop out kids bunch, not to mention the Illegal Freeloaders which continue to come in and suck the system dry...

Now not sure what the Hell that has to do with the 2018 TW and why American Kids aren't buying or riding as much??? But WTH....? What's a good thread if not for a bit of Hi~Jacking :barbershop_quartet_

Hijack.png

1 - 20 of 52 Posts