Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have one on my Triumph.

Works OK....on level ground at a steady speed....on the highway.

Don't know how it would work on dirt or gravel.

Unless you really tighten it down, it will slowly slip, and slow down.

I find I'm tightening it every few minutes....long enough to give my throttle hand a rest....but it's better than nothing, and less expensive than a real cruise control.

jb

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I used one on my Super Tenere and my FJ-09, as jbfla has said... great for a break on the throttle hand but only holds a steady engine RPM so does note compensate for terrain changes. also holds the throttle locked once applied so does not release unless the throttle is manually closed.

I liked the crampbuster better for resting my throttle hand. Original Motorcycle Cruise Assist - Crampbuster

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JB, Thanks Troll!

Yeah I really like the crampbuster as well. I am familiar with the throttle lock operation just not this brand/type and was wondering how well it works.

I have both a crampbuster and throttle lock on my Vulcan but it is a Vista-Cruise type and takes up more room.

When I head out for a ride on the Tdub in the mornings, I usually grab a cup of coffee from the store and it would be to give each arm a break rather than holding coffee in left hand the whole time. Mostly to give my sore, aging right shoulder a well needed position break!!!

Thanks again guys!

Marty

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the Cramp-buster...they're easy to manufacture too, if you're inclined.
Thanks TW_in_BC, although I have a couple of the Crampbusters, I'm sure I am not the only one that would like to see a picture of what you fabricated. I think most all of us are interested seeing homemade improvements of any kind and use.

I have used one of those for long trips on my R1100R.
As previously stated, it would have to be adjusted every half hour or so due to slippage.
Thanks Smitty, I think it should do fine if/when I order one. Seldom am I on a stretch more than 30 mins without changing direction or speed anyhow. Very often I pull or slow to the side of the road as a courtesy to wave a car or truck around as I don't like to hold anyone up. There's enough cagers that hate motorcycles without my "Not-In-A-Hurry-Ass" adding to the problem. ;) U-Turns, Did I mention U-Turns? I bust a lotta Uuies. Lots of things catches the eye at 35-40 mph!!! It is a lot quicker as we all know, if upcoming vehicles have already been excused from the tarmac table.

I swap the same one from my ZX-10 to ZG-14, simple, cheap, useful
Thanks ZX, the quick and easy install/removal/install is one of the big lure-tations as well.

Marty

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny note about Crampbusters. A neighbor across the street a couple doors down bought his first motorcycle, a 1972 Harley Iron Head (can you imagine for a first bike) early last year or late 2018 and we went riding a few times together. He was constantly shaking his right hand,wrist from the strong throttle return spring and numbness. At a stop sign I said "Here, try this!" It turned into a grin, a thumbs-up and, an In-Kind donation!

Joe, Good Ol' Joe. He was a good neighbor.

Shortly after him and his family moved in a few years ago, he had a truck load of rock dumped in his low, dirt driveway. He and his three children, girls age 12 to 17, started spreading the pile one evening by shovels, wheelbarrow and rakes. I rode over on my garden tractor that has a push blade and offered to help. We became fairly good friends after that. And even though I was only 14 years his senior, he always called me "Mr. Marty" which was certainly not necessary but always in a sincere, respectful way that did not make me feel older. So, I would always call him "Mr. Joe" and I think he really liked that.

Good 'Ol Joe. He was a good neighbor.

My wife and daughter while sitting on the porch, would get a kick out of him when he cut the grass. He would wear earphones and sing while riding his mower. When using his push/trim mower, same thing. Only he would stop occasionally at what was obviously a favorite part of a song and do a little dance jig.

Or if I was in the front yard, he would usually stop and chat for a minute when driving by. "Hey Mr. Marty!" and in 3rd person, I would ask "How's Mr. Joe doing?" or "Have you seen 'Ol Joe lately? How's he doing?" And he would answer back about Joe in 3rd person. I think he got a kick out of that. And if I was working on something in the front yard, sometimes he would walk over and ask If I needed a hand.

He was a sense of security in the neighborhood as well. He was quick to holler at, or call the police to, someone driving down the street too fast especially when the neighborhood kids would be out playing.

He was just a down to earth, Good 'Ol Joe. We all miss him being in the neighborhood.

Damn, wasn't this just supposed to be about a Crampbuster? My apologies,

Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one on my BMW with the crampbuster, too. I machined a collar for it to ride on and it works OK. Not as good as the old throttle locks that are now pretty much disappeared, I think. I got one for offroad that might end up on the TW, tho. I don't drive it much on the road, so it might go on something else.
throttle_cruise.jpg

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I used one on my Super Tenere and my FJ-09, as jbfla has said... great for a break on the throttle hand but only holds a steady engine RPM so does note compensate for terrain changes. also holds the throttle locked once applied so does not release unless the throttle is manually closed.

I liked the crampbuster better for resting my throttle hand. Original Motorcycle Cruise Assist - Crampbuster

View attachment 206735
+1 on the cramp buster. I have one on all 3 of my bikes. I do have the wider version though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thanks JB, Thanks Troll!

Yeah I really like the crampbuster as well. I am familiar with the throttle lock operation just not this brand/type and was wondering how well it works.

I have both a crampbuster and throttle lock on my Vulcan but it is a Vista-Cruise type and takes up more room.

When I head out for a ride on the Tdub in the mornings, I usually grab a cup of coffee from the store and it would be to give each arm a break rather than holding coffee in left hand the whole time. Mostly to give my sore, aging right shoulder a well needed position break!!!

Thanks again guys!

Marty
Maybe you just need to get one of the marine cup holders that tilt and swivel.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one on my BMW with the crampbuster, too. I machined a collar for it to ride on and it works OK. Not as good as the old throttle locks that are now pretty much disappeared, I think. I got one for offroad that might end up on the TW, tho. I don't drive it much on the road, so it might go on something else.
Thanks Dan! I suppose the collar you machined is for a firmer grip for the control to clamp down on.

Maybe you just need to get one of the marine cup holders that tilt and swivel.
Thanks Ken! It is a thought even though there is such little room to give up. Don't know how that would work out when empty/not in use, while bouncing down a bumpy dirt road. Seems like it would drive me nuts.

Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Dan! I suppose the collar you machined is for a firmer grip for the control to clamp down on.

Marty
Kind of for clamping force, mostly because I have foam grips and it was very hard to set the speed.The collar is actually split and clamps on with two screws, but doesn't show in the picture.
Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts