TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts

Bonus was I spent night riverside where I had planned to only day ride
looks like a fireside absinthe, slightly diluted with fresh spring snow?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
View attachment 214580
I once did the Al-Can Hwy with string and bubblegum in place of a spark plug. And I had to wrassle a bear to get the string.
Didn't claim it was nothing. I was pointing out that wire would work in a pinch. But no worries, I'll just keep my pie hole shut next time.

Fred's stories seem to remind me of my own adventures. Things I forgot about and now have recollection of after reading his posts. Thanks Fred, for that little trip down memory lane. Glad to know you made it back to the van safe and able to continue your adventure in any form. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ski,
did you lash the axle fore of the slot in the swingarm, or did you wrap the bailing wire sufficiently tight around the axle that it didn't move?? inquiring minds want to know, and see pics!
I wrapped the wire around the threads where the nut went, then around the swingarm in front of it to keep the axle from moving rearward. It did move forward until I jammed some more wire in the slot. This was on a KX250, not the TW200. Every so often, I'd have to retension the wrap to keep the axle relatively straight. I was made aware when the wheel would rub on the swingarm to make the adjustment. Sorry no pics any more. That was before our fire and before on-line memory storage for photos.

I just wanted to point out that baling wire is a good thing to keep on the bike. No need to carry it if there's someplace you can wrap some wire around. A frame tube for instance. Same with duct tape.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

I enjoyed all the clean water features from icy lakes and snow ponds to creeks and a major river which should have been at near flood stage with snowmelt but were trickles instead.

The fireside cocktail? Think Whiskey Sour only really sour. Helped keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Didn't claim it was nothing. I was pointing out that wire would work in a pinch. But no worries, I'll just keep my pie hole shut next time.
Sorry Ski Pro. I didn't intend to throw shade on your field repair. It was quite clever and you avoided an otherwise much larger recovery, and all I did was go off on a tangent with something that sounded funnier in my head than it did on screen.

Edit to add:
I'm glad those with experience are willing to share it openly. Even if I never benefit directly from something like this, it opens the mind up to look for unorthodox solutions.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
View attachment 214599

View attachment 214601
I enjoyed all the clean water features from icy lakes and snow ponds to creeks and a major river which should have been at near flood stage with snowmelt but were trickles instead.

The fireside cocktail? Think Whiskey Sour only really sour. Helped keep the mosquitoes at bay.
Man! I'd had to jump in that if it were me! :D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Snuck over the somewhat icy Pacific Crest to put TW-Brian's borrowed 26" tall DuroV2 through some serious canyon carving before my 25" Duro arrives.
View attachment 214556

Didn't make it too far from my first camp heading down to the Consumes River before I lost first my master link in over 40 years.
View attachment 214557

No worries, I've got a spare master link I've been carrying around for 6 years or so. Was a gift from another forum member when he sold his TW and I never inspected it...my fault.
View attachment 214558

Wait a minute. This is for an X-ring and will not fit into my O-ring chain! Walk of shame time, glad I wasn't the intended 30 miles from camp and rescue van. Glad the van could make it off-road to the bike. Thank goodness my Forma Adventure boots were up for the hike.
View attachment 214559

Long day but still I pulled out of my ridge camp and dropped a few thousand feet down to the Mokulmne River and Salt Springs Reservoir. This was the beautiful tight narrow steep blacktop route so perfect for the TW I had planned for Bewtty Boop...hauled her instead. Panther Creek crossings was one of may distractions.
View attachment 214560

Tranquil river camp setting.
View attachment 214561

Canyon walls get a little tigther as I approach dam and wilderness boundary.
View attachment 214562

I used to visit here decades ago to mountain bike and kayak. Area is still lightly visited.
View attachment 214564

This whole region is worth a re-visit with a new master link. The road riding potential is fantastic if you like tight twisty really narrow blacktop that winds through various climates with peek-a-boo vistas , big trees, flowering dogwoods, deer, squirrels leaping trout and prowling cougars.
What beautiful scenery. At least walking you get to see it lol. Look forward to getting back in the west to do some riding again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Fred, I always love reading about your adventures and misadventures. I try to learn from them too. So, where exactly are these places you visited in the PNW on this trip? More importantly, do you have any close-up pictures of how you tie down the TW on the Moto Jack? I just got mine today and I’m not sure what to do. Thanks man! P

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
These photos were primarily from the Tiger Creek Road that follows the Mokelumne River upstream to roads end at Salt Springs Reservoir and a wilderness boundary. This is east of HWY 88 and on the pacific side of Carson Pass in northern California.
No real good tie down photos this trip. Roads were paved so no extreme restraints, just 2 pulling upwards to overhead rack. With rougher roads I’ll add 2 more from lower down to vans bumper mounts

Reactions: SanDue and Ken

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you Fred this is very helpful! Do you recommend using an additional Hitch Stabilizer in addition to the one built in to the unit? Do you drive at highway speeds (60 - 65 mph) with the TW on the back? My first trip is gonna be out to Hood River, Ore from Portland. Thanks man! P

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes to highway speeds with TW on the back. When off to Moab crossing Nevada's Loneliest Highway, 50, or the Extraterestrial Highway, some extra-legal speeds could be observed if only there was any police or anyone else around for that matter to observe. Front end is a little light so a little more care in cornering and maintaining my lane in crosswinds is needed. Otherwise drives normally. Rural freeways in Utah are posted at 80mph and I really try not to hold up traffic.:giggle:

Yes to a quality hitch tightener. This one works great, makes a very rigid connection so sends all those annoying vibrations to the next weakest link... like the failing welds seen here on my modified older MotoJack.:)
This is not something that would happen to other un-modified Motojacks, so don't worry.

Can't complain much, modified Motojack has hauled the TWs for many years and countless thousands of miles in half a dozen western states. Seeing this crack while out camping had me lose sleep imagining all sorts of fiery unpleasantries possible should rig totally fail on highway home. Thus I left bike hidden high up in the back of beyond and returned next day with trailer for the haul home of shame.

All is being restored to original configuration by professional welder today. Having carrier and bike 4 inches higher will solve issue of dragging occasionally when crossing ditches, plus a little strategic chopping will place TW load about 2" closer to rear axle. I will certainly need 4"or so tall wheel ramps for the front for ease of loading and/or my shovel for the rear tires.
Better than continuing to drag anchor crossing streambeds and ditches.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The standard rollers are too short. o/x ring chain rollers are longer to accommodate the rubber o/x ring space.
In case of emergency would they fit without the o-rings?

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
In case of emergency would they fit without the o-rings?
Are you asking if a standard chain master link will work on an X/O-ring chain without the rubbers? haha, I said rubbers. Anyway, yesterday I actually tested to see if this would work without the rubbers. The link pins are still too short to work on an x-ring chain. The x-ring chain has a lip on each side of the bushing to help hold the rubber in place. This extra metal lip won't allow enough room for the standard master link plate and clip. Not using the plate and clip only there was too much space. Perhaps it would work in an emergency if you used the standard master link without the plate but use the x-ring rubbers held into place with the clip only. Of course, this is a theory. I think the best thing a person should do if they want to carry an extra master link or two (maybe with extra links as well) is to make sure it matches the type of chain you are using. The old standard master link I had on my key chain would not have worked in an emergency as it would not fit an x-ring chain.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you Fred this is very helpful! I mounted the bike this evening and took it for a test ride. The unit is sturdy but the TW does seem to bounce a bit over bumps. I’m using the stock stabilizer bolt that came with the MotoJack. Is this normal? Is the TW just bouncing on it’s own suspension?

Below Fred is my setup. Can you take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
It looks okay to me (except for the dangling straps ;)).

How does it ride back there? Can you see any significant wobbling in your mirrors? If so, are there any attachment points closer to the outside corners of your vehicle? A Ricochet skidplate will help take some of the load off of the engine crankcase.

I tend to go overboard with tiedowns, figuring they don't do any good sitting in the trunk, and will often add one going over seat - just snug enough to provide an extra layer of protection from dragging your bike down the highway. I also stop and re-check all tiedowns after driving a few miles to make sure they are still secure.

One of the downsides to the MotoJack Rack is the lack of trunk access when loaded. I have loaded bikes more once while the rear hatch was still open :mad:, and have lost several wrenches and hydraulic jack handles by leaving them on the rear bumper and driving away :(.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Brian, I was hoping you’d see this and comment. OK, I will add a strap as you mentioned and look to see if I can tie down further to the edges.

I’ve been thinking about a ricochet skid plate, so now I should do it. If I get one, I will probably drill some holes in it so it doesn’t collect mud and sand as I’ve seen. There’s another company making USA manufactured ones as well. It’s probably time now for it.

I really appreciate your insights, man. Patrick

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Looks good as Brian says but could be better. If you ratchet strap those inboard straps tight enough you can inadvertently pull the far side's foot peg clamp out of the MotoRack and actually yip the bike. I have done this in past on my MotoJack by being over-enthusiastic with ratchet clamps.

It almost looks like your on verge of doing this as the left side of bike seems to be slightly pulled up & no longer in contact with the MotoRack frame, or maybe this is just the profile of the OEM skidplate I am seeing ( Ricochet sits much flatter).

Now I don't take the smoothest of roads & you may never torture your bike & carrier like I do but I feel it is best to also secure the front of bike to keep bike from rocking for and aft on bumps rotating around an imaginary axis through the footpeg clamps. I ratchet strap pulling down tightly from top of each triple clamp to platform keeping skid plat firmly in contact.

I sawed a bit off of tip of each footpeg clamp's securing bolt to prevent occasional contact with TW frame or brake bracket since bike does not alway go back on exactly in same position.

Keep both clamps tight of course . However keeping the left (far) side one REALLY tight will help resist the pull of the ratchet straps already used on right side. I use the box wrench for the hitch tightener bolts as a cheater .

Unlike your MotoRack a Hitch tightener, or anti-wobble device is not a intrinsic part of my Motojack so I use an aftermarket one. Sorry, no help there.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Collateral Damage:
Turns out the failed master link clip which resulted in a chain de-railment also bent/twisted/destroyed the chain.
Too bad as it was a fairly new O-ring chain with but a few hundred miles on it.
Had I had a working spare master link to re-install the chain trailside the chain would likely have been too twisted to power the bike back to camp much less resume my intended ride.
Suppose I could have tried to somehow un-twist the bent links but rather than risk future reliability I tossed chain in the garbage.
I Installed the old take-off chain and will test back at same area with Oldworld`124 tomorrow who is down visiting from Idaho. He can tow me back to camp should it appear I have yet to master the masterlink.:cool:

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
qFor a sense of closure when Oldworld124 was down from Idaho he and I did ride down Panther Ridge to Panther Creek and Tiger Creek then up to end of road at Salt Springs and wilderness boundary. Totally awesome narrow twisted blacktop, as was the slightly wider Ellis road back to the ridgetop highway.
Yes, as outstanding a ride as I had envisioned.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts