TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
While my van doesn't have the ground clearance the shadows imply my welder's Jeep does. He and the family were camping on the Black Rock Desert and crawled under the Jeep for only available shade on the playa.
It is like Burning Man out there this year just without the organization, rules and fees.. Lots of wildly designed Art Cars and performance arts.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've successfully used baling wire in place of a master link to limp me home. I also had to bale wire on the rear axle because the nut fell off, causing the wheel to fall off, causing the chain to fail at the master link. Ended up baling wiring the axle on in place of the nut and the chain on in place of the link. It was maybe 10 miles back to the truck with several stops to keep the axle from migrating out.

I also noted my o-ring and x-ring chains can not share a master link. The hole in one is smaller than the diameter of the shank of the other. In other words, the inny won't fit inside the outy. Your photo eludes to that size mismatch.
"YOU don't need roller chainnnnnn....YOU need a DRIVESHAFFFFTTT!" Hehe... Old BMW joke.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ooh, good idea!
I will try this with some fine stainless safety wire I have, thanks .
I could not find the clip but guess it must have popped off after hoping over one of many water bars rather than breaking from some unknown force.
Zip tie might just work in a pinch too, at least for awhile. I'd even try them in place of an entirely missing ML Take it very easy of course. Use 'em if you got 'em.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts